Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Smoking at The Valley / e-cigarettes

At the game on Saturday I played a little trick on the steward who was standing in the Gents in the North Upper to stop people smoking.

I went into a cubicle and then came out again and asked him if he had a light.

He said "oh no sorry mate I haven't got one!". He then looked embarrassed.

This brings me on the my main subject, e-cigarettes.

I have seen them all over the place now. But I still don't like seeing them in public areas as it sort of normalises smoking to kids. I reckon that they should be banned the same as smoking regular fags.

Anyone have any views on this?

Comments

• The new Beadle
  • What about candy smokes ? should they be banned ?

Pretty sure cigarettes are banned because of passive smoking, not sure anyone has got cancer from an e cigarettes yet.
  • All this fuss about E-cigarettes being a healtiher alternative to smoking. Hah! They will never catch on. Have you tried skining up with one?
  • shine166 said:

What about candy smokes ? should they be banned ?

Pretty sure cigarettes are banned because of passive smoking, not sure anyone has got cancer from an e cigarettes yet.

e cigarettes?

weren't they what Jamie Stuart was smoking?
  • OK explain to an old man ... whats skining?

Ps No they should not be banned, but then i nwould say that as I was Marketing Director of Camel cigarettes
  • edited February 2013
    It's an interesting point actually (not the joke, mind) - the act and habit becoming something in and of itself. But as long as the youngsters understand WHY the E-Cig is being used, it should look more like a crutch for someone with a problem, and have a negative connotation rather than an aspirational act that kids become keen to emulate.

PS I think he meant 'skinning', as in rolling up a 'flavoured' cigarette.
  • why waste an e putting it in a cig

• why waste an e putting it in a cig

LOL
  • hes ebonezer good...
  • My wife gave up smoking 6 months ago, after 30 years. She now smokes e cigarettes (my suggestion).
    She's addicted to them now. At least they're not detrimental to your health (as far as we know).
    However, they appear to be as expensive as cigarettes (although advertised as much cheaper).
    Does anyone else smoke these & if so how do they find them cost wise ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not surprised CE when i was younger and able i could do atleast 10 e's per weekend if your missus is doing them every night she must be a bundle of fun to be around but have proper moody tuesdays
  • Afret 30 years of 20 a day and dozens of failed attempts I switched to e-cigs nearly 2 years ago. I no longer stink of fags, I can smoke indoors and I'm saving a fortune. Still addicted to nicotine though. It's basically a less harmful, cheaper substitute rather than a way of giving up.

Can't agree that e-cigs "normalise" smoking for kids. Pretty much all "vapers" are ex-smokers. Kids aren't passing e-lites around behind teh bke sheds.
  • Still not sure whether I should admire e-cig smokers (they have given up normal cigarettes after all) or scorn them (it's a pretend cigarette, pretend, laughable, blah blah).

I doubt e-cigs could be more ridiculous than real ones, and at least our parks, streets, beaches, playgrounds, etc. aren't strewn with e-cig butts, but the whole smoking thing is inherently childish, as the majority of smokers start young in an attempt to look grown-up, itself a very childish things. So I guess e-cigs are no more childish than the real thing.

Still, I can't see what e-cigs give the smoker than patches or gum don't, except they can't pretend on some level that they are still smoking, which is sad when you really think about it.
  • Think it is a good idea to use them and it doesnt glamourise normal cigarettes in my opinion.
    A cigarette substitute should be welcomed.

Just need them to let me keep the bottle top on my methodone now.
  • Still, I can't see what e-cigs give the smoker than patches or gum don't, except they can't pretend on some level that they are still smoking, which is sad when you really think about it.

One of the hardest things about giving up fags is the physical habit itself. Replacing the cigarette with something similar but not harmful combats that side of the addiction.

• Still not sure whether I should admire e-cig smokers (they have given up normal cigarettes after all) or scorn them (it's a pretend cigarette, pretend, laughable, blah blah).

I doubt e-cigs could be more ridiculous than real ones, and at least our parks, streets, beaches, playgrounds, etc. aren't strewn with e-cig butts, but the whole smoking thing is inherently childish, as the majority of smokers start young in an attempt to look grown-up, itself a very childish things. So I guess e-cigs are no more childish than the real thing.

Still, I can't see what e-cigs give the smoker than patches or gum don't, except they can't pretend on some level that they are still smoking, which is sad when you really think about it.

Really?
    Just done a straw poll at work and by far the biggest reason was just to see what it was like, not an attempt to look grown up. Second reason was because their mates did it and wanted to fit in.
  • In my case, started on joints and went backwards to fags :)
  • Still, I can't see what e-cigs give the smoker than patches or gum don't, except they can't pretend on some level that they are still smoking, which is sad when you really think about it.

I hated patches and gum, they made me feel ill. Also they are very expensive, don't give you the hit on the back of the throat and don't taste nice.

There's nothing to admire about vaping. Like I said above it's just a way to manage an addiction in a less harmful way.

• Jints said:

Afret 30 years of 20 a day and dozens of failed attempts I switched to e-cigs nearly 2 years ago.

Have you ever tried Champix?

20-30 day 17 year habit gone in 2 weeks.

• MrOneLung said:

Really?
    Just done a straw poll at work and by far the biggest reason was just to see what it was like, not an attempt to look grown up. Second reason was because their mates did it and wanted to fit in.

Well the second of those is another childish reason, though not as obviously so as admitting it was to look grown up, hence why fewer would admit to that reason. It may be different where you work, but I'd still maintain the vast majority of smokers started for one of two reasons (or a combination of the two), either to look/act grown up or to ape their peers. Neither reason is anything to be proud of, and it's said that these decisions have such a massive effect on the persons whole life.

• Sponsored links:

• Jints said:

Afret 30 years of 20 a day and dozens of failed attempts I switched to e-cigs nearly 2 years ago.

Have you ever tried Champix?

20-30 day 17 year habit gone in 2 weeks.

Is that the one where every time you get a craving for nicotine, you punish yourself by eating a dog biscuit?
  • Champix worked for me the first time - I stopped for about 4 months but fell back on the wagon. Next time I tried it made me feel dizzy and ill.

TBH, I don't really care if I ever give up e-cigs. It's not good to be addicted to anything but I genuinely enjoy it and it's not doing me or anyone else around me any harm.
  • MrOneLung said:

Really?

Well the second of those is another childish reason, though not as obviously so as admitting it was to look grown up, hence why fewer would admit to that reason. It may be different where you work, but I'd still maintain the vast majority of smokers started for one of two reasons (or a combination of the two), either to look/act grown up or to ape their peers. Neither reason is anything to be proud of, and it's said that these decisions have such a massive effect on the persons whole life.

Agree 100%.
    The more we can hide smoking away from kids, by whatever means, the better.
  • Rizzo said:

In my case, started on joints and went backwards to fags :)

Snap.
  • Rizzo said:

Snap.
    Cannabis really is a gateway drug :)

• Rizzo said:

Snap.
    Same, never smoked properly until I went to Australia and was introduced to the 'smoko'... ie a break in work only allowed if you were/are a smoker. I quit mid December just gone and now even the smell makes me feel sick.
  • I drink non alcoholic lager sometimes...hope I won't be condemned for influencing children to drink Meths :)
  • I agree that if it looks like smoking then it may encourage children to smoke the real thing.

However, where do you stop trying to promote harmful pastimes? Banning the consumption of alcohol in pubs (or licensed playgroups as they are now known) when children are present?
  • I only really smoke when I'm drinking.

I have tried e-cigarettes and all it does is make me think how gooooooood a real cigarette would be.
  • I drink non alcoholic lager sometimes...hope I won't be condemned for influencing children to drink Meths :)

You don't drink, you don't smoke, what do you do? Stay lucky!