Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gareth Barry

Comments

• It was class. What was he thinking?
  • Frazer Richardson has just come on for Saints. He's up against Kolarov on the left flank.
  • If you'd said 'Silva' that might have had more weight...
  • although you have just reminded me to take my dog's collar off, the poor dear
  • Not watching it but just Youtube'd it and well what a great finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAW-Q5bBHE
  • I remember Van Blerk scoring a cracking o.g for us, while playing for City years ago when us & them were serious rivals...
  • l'esprit du jamie pollock
  • edited February 2013
    Barry would struggle to get in United's Reserves. Slow, predictable and as demonstrated tonight his right foot is so bad it isn't even a "swinger".
  • I hope when Lee Dixon analyses it someone has had the foresight to get his chip over Seaman ready.
  • Barry would struggle to get in United's Reserves. Slow, predictable and as demonstrated tonight his right foot is so bad it isn't even a "swinger".

Too true! Will always be defined, for me, by his stunning touch before Germany's third goal.

• Sponsored links:

• 2 words spring to mind. Match & Fixing ;)
  • About time everyone realised he's shit god knows how he starts for city
  • edited February 2013
    For me he is the same as Milner, not the best of english talent but the sort of players you need next to players like Wilshere if your hoping to actually achieve anything in world football.

They will both nearly always put in a 6.5-7 out of 10 performance.
  • Barry was slow when he was fast.
  • Pace the saviour of poor footballers. ;-)

• For me he is the same as Milner, not the best of english talent but the sort of players you need next to players like Wilshere if your hoping to actually achieve anything in world football.

definitely not id rather have a quality player next to em such as cleverly parker gerrard or lamps that way we could achieve something in world football
    barry wouldnt get in the squad and milner would be the utility man on the bench
  • For me he is the same as Milner, not the best of english talent but the sort of players you need next to players like Wilshere if your hoping to actually achieve anything in world football.

definitely not id rather have a quality player next to em such as cleverly parker gerrard or lamps that way we could achieve something in world football
    barry wouldnt get in the squad and milner would be the utility man on the bench
    Yep we have been doing great with our system of choosing players based on who they play for or individual talent. ;-)

Sometimes you have to think further ahead, if you want to achieve.

• Oh and Barry is not a poor player, just not a flashy player.

Plus he has an action man face, what's not to like. :-)

Think that's the point though, they'll give you a 6.5 or 7 every week, someone like Makelele, Marcos Senna or Gilberto Silva in the past have done the unfashionable work alongisde World Class players, but they'd have given an 8 out of 10 every match in that position.

Agree people need to do the water-carrying, but they need to do it well.
  • edited February 2013
    Im not saying my system is perfect but i think we would have much more success long term, if we built our style around having a Barry/Parker type player, Rodwell could be the long term solution and then had the partner being Wilshere.

Rather then the system under so many past England managers but that is why football is great, the debate.

I just hate when people call someone like Barry an excellent if not world class pro, poor or shit, when he clearly is not.

• Sponsored links:

• Barry is a lucky player, he has very modest talent but has found a nice little niche for himself at Citeh.

He has no pace, limited skill and looks lost in midfield against top class opposition, he would not make the French, Spain or Italy 'B' squads.
  • Agreed to an extent GGA, just don't rate Barry much, very limited.

Parker is a better player - as is Carrick, though I think he's overrated too.

England have less technical players than the likes of Spain, though Wilshire is obviously very promising, so I think pace, power and an ability to carry the ball is the way we need to go if we can find those players - look at how well Sandro and Dembele were doing recently for Spurs.
  • To be honest im never gonna be happy with the England team as i believe we need drastic changes to the coaching & mindset of the team & fans/media view of long term goals, if we plan to have a serious chance at competing with the big nations in world football.

For starters i would not have any England players from Utd whilst Fergie is manager, as think his style sums up why England fails time and again and whilst creates great players for Utd is not what we need in the England team.

• For starters i would not have any England players from Utd whilst Fergie is manager, as think his style sums up why England fails time and again and whilst creates great players for Utd is not what we need in the England team.

Think that's rubbish to be honest - Neville, Beckham and Scholes are among the few players who've actually performed for England over the last few years.
  • Really depends how you class perform, as sure they might of been some of the better players for England but in my opinion the attitude/style of fergie players makes things worse in the big picture.

I dont really include Beckham.

• Really depends how you class perform, as sure they might of been some of the better players for England but in my opinion the attitude/style of fergie players makes things worse in the big picture.

I dont really include Beckham.

But why United and not other clubs? Purely for argument's sake, I could say 'well I would pick no Arsenal players cos the culture there is all tippy tappy and over-elaborate' but then we wouldn't have the likes of Wilshere, probably the best English midfielder for a while now.
  • edited February 2013
    Well it's not united it is Fergie, he has a win at all costs attitude that plagues so many levels of English football, which does create some fantastic players for Utd but not help the England team, if people our fine with the current English coaching system then that is good but you can't have it both ways.

You cant moan when England have another pitiful showing at a tournament and then go back to the same old system happily.

For me we need to give the job to a forward thinking manager long term so 3 or 4 tournaments guaranteed unless he resigned, with him being told that he is to change the whole system of coaching the best English players at all levels of international set up and the FA need to show some actual backbone and make sure he gets what is needed including fighting managers like Fergie/Wenger who will do anything to keep their players from the international scene.

Im not saying Fergie is not a great manager who creates some fantastic players im just saying he is a big disadvantage to the England national team IMO.

• Always admired Barry at Villa and never understood why it took him so long to break into the national team when he was picked at junior level umpteen times.

Bit slow now but a class act for years.

In the same league as Lampard but never received the recognition because he was Villa not an Abramovich tart.

• Yeah, I'd hate to have players in the England side really trying to win, Gretna.
  • And that attitude is why neither of us will probably see a trophy for England in our lifetime.

Will make this my last message in this thread as their is no room for debate after that response.