Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

External drain overflows

The drain outside our kitchen that the sink/washing machine etc empties into keeps overflowing each time we empty anything.
Had my hand down there and other than a bit of sludge cant find anything within arms length that is blocking the drain.

any suggestions for good product to put down there to try and clear it?
stuff seen in supermarket seems to be for pouring down bathroom plug or down the sink rather than down an external drain.

Comments

• Caustic soda but be careful with it and treat it with respect!
  • If the blockage goes further than your arm then I'd suggest trying something longer like a broom handle...........if you still can't feel a blockage then maybe it goes further back towards to main drains and then its a matter for the council.or water authority.
  • Agree with Golfie. You need to try & find out where the blockage is. You probably need to lift up a manhole cover elsewhere, probably towards the road.
  • There's a few chippy's up here who sell a curry sauce that should do the trick.
  • My drain had the same issue. My mate is a plumber and suggested a visit to the ironmonger for a bottle of acid. Worked well for a while and I looked great in the mask & goggles and industrial gloves whilst I was pouring it in. However. In the end my mate came round with a dirty great plunger. He managed to shift a load of gunge that had solidified into a big lump. quick flush through with a hose and all been well since. Acid gloves mask etc about £15 plunger FREE but around a tenner I think.
  • If you have no luck, feel free to inbox me as my father owns/is a director of dyno-rod. He says he gives free advice to Charlton fans (he's an Addick himself) but if you live in SE25 you get charged double!
  • Fair does, lot of shite stinking up SE25 though A2TR...
  • edited February 2013
    One Shot, the purple one is the biz .. even better is a set of rods .. like a chimney sweep uses, but, of course, the version for drains. Or, if you have a decent one, a flexible attachment to a pressure washer
  • Fair does, lot of shite stinking up SE25 though A2TR...

Exactly, it makes business sense to charge a lot more ... I heard they are as thick as the stuff aswell, so they usually fall for it!
  • Sponsored links:

• The drain in question probably has a u bend similar to your toilet.
    Get a couple of rods from Wickes/B&Q.
    Sorted.
  • Have you asked Choice for advice?
  • try and get some drain rods.go to the man hole cover the one closets to the sink.run some water down the sink to see what channel it coming down.put the rods at that channel keep pushing and pulling untill the blockage is free.fill the sink up about 3 times to make sure it drains away.also if you have a hose pipe leave it running in the manhole for 5 minutes just so it clears everthing atb tony
  • If the drain rods won't break through you could try an old plastic curtain rail...it worked for me.
  • Check with your water company. We had similar problem recently and they came out (on a weekend), stuck a high pressure hose down it and cleared it pronto. And it was FREE as I think theres been a change of law a year or two back passing responsibility on to them.
  • Whatever you do don't chuck acid down their or use household products, these corrode the pipes and or Create a bigger problem that could end up with you having to have it all dug up, I work in the industry and have seen this done many of times, pm me if you want further info or if you can't get it unblock using rods. I can give you the correct numbers to ring for your area.
  • use hipshift or shift it or one shot there high drainage acids, absolutely lethal and rubber gloves are essentail, beware not to get any on steel sink as it will mark it if possible undo the trap underneath, and pour the acid straight down the plastic pipes.
  • Have you tried putting a flare down there?
  • Hilarious :-

9.58 Whatever you do, don't chuck acid down there.
    12.03 The next post. Chuck acid down there :-)

I pay $149.99 per month for pay TV and have not turned it on all night, been reading tips on here about unblocking drains, relighting gas boilers and fat folk on Mobility Scooters - does life get any better?
  • Sponsored links:

I pay $149.99 per month for pay TV and have not turned it on all night, been reading tips on here about unblocking drains, relighting gas boilers and fat folk on Mobility Scooters - does life get any better?
    Gay marriage. Any thoughts?

We should probably at least meet in person first before we talk marriage.

We should probably at least meet in person first before we talk marriage.
    don't be so old fashioned.