Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars trilogy

Exciting news for Star Wars fans. If JJ A does for Star Wars what he has been doing for Star Trek and Mission Impossible, we're in for a treat. I just hope he has heavy input into the screenplay and script, as the latter in particular was never Lucas' strength. Rumour has it that the original trilogy's protagonist(s) will return - which will be interesting, as the likes of Mark Hamill have not done much since.

Comments

• Guaranteed to be better than the last three by appointing him. Would have loved Joss Whedon to do them, he's a genius.....
  • Great news. Perfect man for the job IMO
  • That is great news, just hope there good enough to make us all forget the 4th/5th/6th films.
  • That is great news, just hope there good enough to make us all forget the 4th/5th/6th films.

There were 3 others? Forgotten them already! In all seriousness, would rather these new ones were never made at all but as they are, Abrams is as good as choice as there is IMO.
  • Great, a bunch of horribly fake and unnecessary lens flare every 10 seconds.

I am actually really looking forward to this, it's obviously a cash cow for Disney but if they can keep the geeks happy its gonna be a smash hit and have as long a legacy as the originals.
  • Yeah fake stuff in science fiction movies really gets my goat too! (Appropriate emoticon)
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah fake stuff in science fiction movies really gets my goat too! (Appropriate emoticon)

Haha, but the lens flare just takes me out of the film completely. It just makes me think "okay... Jj Abrams and his editor can use adobe after effects"
  • Brilliant news but don't get all the hatred for the latter three. Yes the first was poor, Attack of the Clones was decent and Revenge of the Sith is only second to Empire Strikes Back IMO.
  • The unused quarry site by Bluewater is earmarked as a potential filming location for the next film.
  • cafcpolo said:

Brilliant news but don't get all the hatred for the latter three. Yes the first was poor, Attack of the Clones was decent and Revenge of the Sith is only second to Empire Strikes Back IMO.

Samuel L Jackson with a lightsabre and they could not make it awesome.

Oh and the countless slightly dodgy stereotype's to real world cultures chucked in, only had one in the original 3 films.;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Another money making project that leaves me cold. Star Wars is old hat and should have finished after the third film.
  • And some of the most wooden acting of all time..
  • razil said:

And some of the most wooden acting of all time..

You are too young to remember the Woodentops raz. They were really wooden actors.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah fake stuff in science fiction movies really gets my goat too! (Appropriate emoticon)

Haha, but the lens flare just takes me out of the film completely. It just makes me think "okay... Jj Abrams and his editor can use adobe after effects"
    I'm a bit of a JJ fanboy so hard to defend without bias, but I love his Star Trek and the flares don't bother me none!

JJ is, primarily, a storyteller. His TED talk sums up his approach really well.

Lucas was motivated by money and his own 'empire'. His storytelling skills took a back seat to his production techniques between SW and Empire. The best movie had the least amount of Lucas input due to his focus being on the expansion of LucasFilm as an independent company.

The Prequels were made by committee - siloed groups of effects technicians getting gold stars from the guy who then pieced their efforts together. His story telling was lame, the caricatures insulting, and obsession with CGI damaging. Gollum was CGI because he had to be, Jar Jar was CGI because he could be.

As long as JJ has a story idea, he should deliver. Being useful with effects and action are a bonus. I suspect the lens flares will be mostly left on Star Trek. Well, that and Super 8!
  • I thought Lucas had come up with the idea for the next story arc?
  • Maybe, maybe not. Hard to tell precisely how involved he is. Rumour has it a scriptwriter by the name of Michael Arndt (Toy Story) wrote the treatment for the next trilogy. Ultimately, Abrams wouldn't get involved if he didn't have a major say in it, or at least really like what's already been dreamt up.