Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

City Addicks Meeting 16th November - LENNIE LAWRENCE + JOHN HUMPHREY

Despite the unfortunate incident of the club arranging an event the same evening of the scheduled City Addicks meeting, i'm delighted in Curb It's absence to announce confirmation the guests will be Lennie Lawrence and John Humphrey.

The Q+A will be held at the regular venue, the City Tavern, 29 Lawrence Lane, London EC2V 8DP. It is just a couple of minutes walk from both Bank and Mansion House tube (map below)

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=532432&y=181212&z=0&ar=Y

We meet in the main bar from 5.30 - 6pm, before moving upstairs for a prompt 6.30pm start.

The City Addicks is not part of the supporters branch network, or linked to any particular group. It is simply an informal gathering of Charlton fans young and old, to have a few drinks, ask questions and share old tales with former players and managers. As a result, it is probably the most laid-back of the cafc / supporter gatherings.

Lennie is driving up from Bristol to be with us. It is really important given what has happened that we get a good turnout for the event, so we are asking all Charlton fans to please try and make the effort, and encourage as many others to do so. Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2006
    now let me think about this...a schlep down to the valley to listen to ian dowie, who probably through no fault of his own may not be in a position to say too much other than platitudes about the squad, club, gameplan etc, or a stroll down to the city tavern to hear lennie lawrence, who will probably have a thousand and one stories that will take us old boys from misty eyed to busting a gut with laughter...tough one...
  • Lennie for me, even though I'm not working that day and it'd be easier to get to The Valley. I bet he's got some tales to tell, too.
  • And myself.

Wonder who the ex-player is ?
  • This may well take my CityAddicks virginity.

As ltgtr said, Lennie will not have the constraints of the club telling him what he can and cannot say like ID will probably have.

Looking forward to it.
  • [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]This may well take my CityAddicks virginity.

As ltgtr said, Lennie will not have the constraints of the club telling him what he can and cannot say like ID will probably have.

Looking forward to it.

me too WWS, alhough its a pain as i work in SE10! I will try to make this, as i love Lennie. I must of got his autograph about a thousend times when i were a wee nipper!
  • I will try to make this i know we land at city airport on the way back from holland mid afternoon so will attend if not to hammered still
  • I should be there-

Sounds like it will be an entertaining evening with the guests not having to tow the party line!
  • Have to say, surely only Charlton could do this.

There is probably only a finite number of people who can/will go to these things, what with distance/other commitments etc. The key is to make sure that enough of those people turn up so that everyone - guests and punters alike - feels that it was a good/enjoyable evening and wouldn't hesitate to go to another, circumstances permitting.

So what happens? There's two organised on the same day - effectively splitting the likely attendees right down the middle with the possible outcome being that neither event is as well attended as those organising would have liked. And what message does that send out to the guests?

If nobody turns up at the Valley then Dowie would probably wonder why he bothered and think that nobody cares about what he has to say. Ditto Lennie at the City Addicks do .

Jeez, it's a no win situation all round - unless both events are packed out of course! How on earth was this ever allowed to occur???

I know what my initial view is based purely on what I've read - I don't know any of the organisers personally - but I would welcome the views of anyone more ITK than me. Joking aside, I really want to go to both and don't want to let any of the guests down by not showing. What a farce!
  • I know the CA event date has been booked for quite some time mate.
  • In my opinion, the club likes to have control over a lot of these types of things to keep up the squeaky clean image of the club

Anthing that could possible upset the balance is looked down on, not saying that City Addicks does that or even if the club thinks it, but the "unofficial" element may be frowned upon by people in certain quarters.

Take a look at away travel for another example.

Anyway, this shouldnt be a rant or a dig, i hope that both events are well attented so that Lennie and Iain feel like the fans want to listen to them.

I'll be going CityAddicks if anywhere though!
  • Sponsored links:

• The club did actually back CA last year with some high profile speakers such as PV
  • Exactly Razil, which is why this makes no sense (and I know that CA was announced first). Also, agree with WSS and hope that both are packed out.

Maybe it's just a cock-up. Maybe this was the only date ID/LR/MR could all make. Maybe things have gone on behind the scenes trying to smooth this over and make right. Who knows. Just can't fathom it myself. It's bizarre!
  • Off It was definately the kid at school that started all the 'fight, fight, fight' chants :-)

Right lets get this out the way once and for all, and then move on. Both events are happening, and i'm convinced both will be a success. I'm actually hoping the City one will be better attended than normal !

Personally, i feel 'the club' have been a little clumsy organising a similar event on the same night of a long-standing group.

One of the strongest things that sets Charlton apart from other clubs has been the interaction between current and ex-staff, and supporters. And that can only be done because there are dedicated individuals around the branch networks etc. that get off their backside and make things happen. Most are not working for the club or themselves in any way, but they are most certainly working for the benefit of the club in my eyes. I think when it was realised there could be a conflict of interest, i think there could of been another way around it. I think it was believed that City Addicks would postpone its meeting.

But having the room booked for two months, and the guests asked and arranged, plus a whole host of encouraging feedback from regular attendees saying they still wanted the night to go ahead, it was agreed we will do so. And there are a few of us working hard to ensure the excellent guests get the audience they deserve.

That's why we're really asking kindly for people to try and make the effort. We have no committee's and agendas, we don't have the resources or marketing abilty of the club or other supporters groups, we're just a group of fans that like a few drinks and get popular ex-CAFC people along to the pub for a light-hearted night.

I really hope people think about the situation, and try to make the effort. Cheers
  • Throughly enjoyed the last one with Brownie and will be at this one with one or 2 others.
  • It looks like I'm in Slough all next bloody week, so unless I can blag a day or two in our City Office I'm burgered.
  • That's a good post AFKA, thanks for shedding some light on it. And I like the use of the word "clumsy" - sounds as if there was no malice intended (which I wouldn't have thought that there was.)

As for the "fight fight fight" chants, not at all. I'm a lover not a fighter - as I'm sure many a laydeee would testify! (as in lots of ladies have beaten me up in the past - nothing else!)
    ;o)
  • send Silas to Slough, and get yourself in your city office !
  • That's a good post AFKA, thanks for shedding some light on it. And I like the use of the word "clumsy" - sounds as if there was no malice intended (which I wouldn't have thought that there was.)

As for the "fight fight fight" chants, not at all. I'm a lover not a fighter - as I'm sure many a laydeee would testify! (as in lots of ladies have beaten me up in the past - nothing else!)
    ;o)
  • Well, I'll happily join the merry band of city drinkers...whatever you're called....see you next Thursday..
  • nice one sarge, matt o, ric and razil normally attend, may have to get rav and PQ along !
  • Sponsored links:

• excellent, be nice to meet up again after all these years....
  • Will try and make it myself might be good to put faces to names.
  • edited November 2006
    City Addicks

have updated the link.
    thanks guys and gals really appreciate your attendance to keep our little meetings going. Always a good laugh.
  • I'll be there and drag a few along as well. Has 'ooh ahh' confirmed yet ?
  • edited November 2006
    Unfortunately its unlikely to be him now. bare with me.
  • edited November 2006
    Oh yes and Lawrie madden came into the pub last night before the match with Bernard who runs the FPA. said he woudl do a meeting in the future for us.
  • Count me in mr AFKA i will try ang hillsysup along aswell
  • Good man M, will be a good night.
  • Yep - will be there - might even get to leave the bike at home and have a few beers for a change... Be good to see Sarge there, we only ever get brief 'hellos' whilst chasing after our kids at baby gym....
  • 1905 will be there. So will theHat although he doesn't know yet.

Always look forward to the city addicks meetings - the chance to meet previous heros in such informal surroundings is priceless! This one should be just as good, particularly with Houdini in attendence.