Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time for a new TV

Ok, finally got the go ahead from the wife to buy a new TV.

Have up to 750 to spend.

Have seen a 46" Samsung Led with Smart Hub for 679.

3d is not required.

Advice welcomed.

Comments

• Samsung smart tv or sony equivalent, only get them if you plan on using the whole interactive crap, otherwise there is no point in splashing the cash as there will be other tvs with the same spec for audio and picture quality, but theyll be cheaper as theres no extra malarkey
  • Backlit-LEDs for top picture quality
  • edited November 2012
    Bought an LG 42" Full HD 3D Smart TV for £569 about 6 weeks ago.

Simply brilliant - would recommend the LG range (even if not buying 3D).

If I hadn't have gone for a 3D I would have also looked at Samsung and Panasonic. No other makes a patch on those three in this price zone and I did a LOT of research at the time.
  • I bought a 42 inch LG last Christmas, I'd way for the sales. New TV's will start appearing in the new year, I was not fussed by 3d either but mine has Cinema 3d and it's very impressive but still a bit gimmicky. Freeview HD image is amazing too.

What I did was take a look at the top 10 lists here:

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/TVs
    http://www.stuff.tv/top-10s/tvs

also reviews here:

http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/tvs

Then I searched for the TV on amazon and read the reviews and also a good place to pop buy and have a read of is AV forums. I spent two weeks researching before I made by purchase and I'm pleased I took the time.

The only downside of these new slimmer TV's is the lack of bass in the speakers, but a sound bar would help with that.

Happy Hunting, hope the info is handy.
  • Got a 42" LG LCD at the moment. Had it four years, whilst HD is great the SD picture could be so much better.

What are the LGs you bought? LED, Plasma? Like the look of the LED picture but am reading things about cloudy images in dark rooms which concerns me.
  • I know the one I want

Sony 55" hx853 but just can't afford it at the moment

Counting the days down to April bonus

Don't think you can go too wrong with a samsung clem sounds like a good deal
  • We have a Samsung too, no idea of the model, but it is an LED screen, and is great in HD.
  • Have a look at finlux if your on a budget - got the 32 LED one for the bedroom and it surprisingly good for what i paid
  • Panasonic TX-P42ST50B £699

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42st50b/pana-txp42st50b

Whether or not you're into them you Get 2 free pairs of 3d glasses as part of the deal.

Best TV I've ever purchased.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2012
    Needs a little calibrating but most good plasmas do to get the best out of them.

Good luck with whatever you get.

edit* I just saw 3D is not required, though for £700 might as well get a tv with all the bells and whistles. Otherwise save yourself £200 and get an LED.
  • Just got a Panasonic 42" L42E5B Smart, Freeview HD but no 3D. Really nice and just chose over a 40" similar spec samsung
  • Look into the best panasonic plasma you can buy for that price. Too much hype over LEDs. Colours look artificial, they are only backlit, suffer more from crosstalk so not as good as plasma in hd for things like football, viewing angles aren't as good as other types of set. Their real advantages are size and lower power consumption. If you do fancy one then when you go to a store make sure you get them to turn contrast down, lower the lights, etc as this is when they look best and do not match most living environments.

Go plasma, go panasonic. You will not be disappointed. Also, don't be afraid to go ex display like this as you'll save a ton of cash on a great set.

electrocentreltd.com/viewproduct.asp?pid=7508

A good plasma will last 100,000 hours these days and it'll will have already been "burnt in" by the shop, although not so much of an issue these days.
  • Look into the best panasonic plasma you can buy for that price. Too much hype over LEDs. Colours look artificial, they are only backlit, suffer more from crosstalk so not as good as plasma in hd for things like football, viewing angles aren't as good as other types of set. Their real advantages are size and lower power consumption. If you do fancy one then when you go to a store make sure you get them to turn contrast down, lower the lights, etc as this is when they look best and do not match most living environments.

Go plasma, go panasonic. You will not be disappointed. Also, don't be afraid to go ex display like this as you'll save a ton of cash on a great set.

electrocentreltd.com/viewproduct.asp?pid=7508

A good plasma will last 100,000 hours these days and it'll will have already been "burnt in" by the shop, although not so much of an issue these days.
  • edited November 2012
    I am in the "display" business and cannot disagree with cafcpolo - Panasonic and Plasma is the best bet, LCD with LED backlight don't compare in my opinion.
  • Yeah if your buying a big tv, like forty inches and upwards plasma is best

• Got a 42" LG LCD at the moment. Had it four years, whilst HD is great the SD picture could be so much better.

What are the LGs you bought? LED, Plasma? Like the look of the LED picture but am reading things about cloudy images in dark rooms which concerns me.

Mine was the LG 42LM620T which is an LED. It was solid in the reviews (8 or 9/10) but there were some concerns along the lines of blacks and lighting as you suggest. I took the gamble on it for the overall package and have not come across one single issue yet that couldn't be cured from a few settings changes. I often think when reading technology reviews that people just want perfection and when your budget has a limit you aren't going to get that - they also pick up things that the average user would either never notice or never notice enough to be bothered.

Plasma is better than LED backlight but watch that energy consumption!
  • Can't advise you on a tv as i don't have a tv but maybe wait untill the sales & you could get what you wanted within your price range.

All good things come to those who wait :-)
  • John Lewis will price match if you can find a shop in the Uk that sell your chosen tv cheaper. We found a random shop online based in Southend that had the tv in their shop that we wanted. Went to John Lewis in Croydon who rang the Southend shop up and matched the price. Saved nearly £200 on a cracking SONY tv. As far as I know it does not apply to online only stores. I.e. you need to find a supplier that has a physical shop on a high street, whether in Southend or Aberdeen, that John L will then match.
  • Would highly recommend a Pioneer other than they have stopped making them for the home market.....if you can get a secondhand model you will have the best TV ever made.
  • Sponsored links:

• TEL said:

Would highly recommend a Pioneer other than they have stopped making them for the home market.....if you can get a secondhand model you will have the best TV ever made.

Now you're talking.

I've still got the last model Kuro. It's got to be 3 years old now and I still haven't seen a better tv picture. The contrast and black levels are incredible.
  • I have a 36 inch CRT tv...cost me £60 from a junk shop. No viewing angle probs and low power consumption...yeah I know its a dinosaur, but if it works why change it.
  • edited November 2013
    i just got my Panny vierra working with a net gear n600 usb stick wifi, at a fraction of the cost a panny one costs, well chuffed :) push to connect wps was the answer :D
  • Ok, finally got the go ahead from the wife to buy a new TV.

Advice welcomed.

My advice , MTFU mate
  • John Lewis will price match if you can find a shop in the Uk that sell your chosen tv cheaper. We found a random shop online based in Southend that had the tv in their shop that we wanted. Went to John Lewis in Croydon who rang the Southend shop up and matched the price. Saved nearly £200 on a cracking SONY tv. As far as I know it does not apply to online only stores. I.e. you need to find a supplier that has a physical shop on a high street, whether in Southend or Aberdeen, that John L will then match.

John Lewis also give a five year guarantee on TVs
  • I heard that LG pretty much make all of the TVs anyway!
  • I heard sony have stopped, and rebrand stuff as theirs
  • As suggested by others here, I'd definitely advise thinking about a sound bar, makes a huge difference to films & anything with music. It's not only the picture that matters...
  • As suggested by others here, I'd definitely advise thinking about a sound bar, makes a huge difference to films & anything with music. It's not only the picture that matters...

Any particular make you'd recommend ?

• I have a JBL sound bar and am very impressed with it, these LED televisions are so thin there is not enough space for decent speakers.

My daughter had her 14th birthday party using just the sound bar connected by bluetooth to her iphone.

Would really recommend one to compliment an LED television.

With the Smart televisions you have the facility to log on wirelessly to CAFC Player enabling you to listen to live match commentaries and Charlton Live.