Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW YORK

Going to do a late booking and take the missus to New York for her 40th in November, anybody got any recommendations where to stay,can't afford the top end hotels but don't want something too grotty?

Comments

• The Wellington. Can't remember where it is but near Times Square. Reasonable and very nice.
  • The Paramount just of Times Square http://www.nycparamount.com/ stayed there for work & it was good value & very clean....
  • And try here, it was quite a cool place for drinks when went a few years ago.
    http://www.esquinanyc.com/

• Wellington is a good call - great location - enjoy the place is the nuts.
  • The Lexington on Lexington Avenue was always reasonable when I used to stay regularly. Mid-town (best location) and not too pricey rooms are small but that's NY. Classic Amercian breakfast place across the road by the Waldorf Astoria.
  • Madison Towers is centrally located for the attractions and a block away from 5th Avenue. Always found it VFM.
  • edited October 2012
    Steve, it is worth bearing in mind that you may be able to (if your lucky) get a good deal on a room in the buisness district (particularly at weekends) might be worth checking out the Millenium Hilton on Church Street.
  • Drinks at 230 Fifth Avenue will go down well. Pricey but stunning rooftop bar views of the Empire State.

http://www.cipriani.com/ for dinner (make a reservation and prepare to be surrounded by the most beautiful people you'll ever see)

then head to Kiki de Montparnasse (Not work safe) to buy some "treats" for back in the hotel room

Have fun
  • Those guided tour buses can be fun if you get an entertaining guide
  • If you are going to a show, go to the TKTS booth by the South Street Seaport rather than the one on Times Square. I didn't have to queue when I went to that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• absolutely love NYC. Steve, you'll have a great time mate.
  • Go to pier 42 or 47 (I think) jump a boat to go down the Hudson and up the the East river. Best to do it early evening, outward trip in daylight and the return trip you get to see New York with it's light on.
  • Go to pier 42 or 47 (I think) jump a boat to go down the Hudson and up the the East river. Best to do it early evening, outward trip in daylight and the return trip you get to see New York with it's light on.

I done a trip on a boat...the trip was called the Circle Line, it goes all the way around Manhatten.
  • cheers guys will check them out
  • Depending on your budget, Marriott Marquis in Times Square is great. Even if you don't stay there, visit the revolving restaurant , I assume its still there.
  • When we were there, we booked a helicopter trip circling over Manhatten.

Brilliant seeing all the sights from the air!
  • edited October 2012
    The best thing about Manhatten is you can hardly get lost.

Just about every street corner has been a film set - it's all familiar and recognisable, like you already know the place.
    Add in yellow cabs and wailing, lights flashing cop cars to complete the picture.

• And you could always take the missus to a show on Broadway.
  • Last time we went we had a few nights in the Sheraton, Weehawken. It's across the Hudson from Manhattan (with fabulous views of the city), but it's right by a ferry point which takes you over to 38th Street in 10 minutes. There is also a Houlihan's bar / restaurant right by the hotel which was pretty good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Going to do a late booking and take the missus to New York for her 40th in November, anybody got any recommendations where to stay,can't afford the top end hotels but don't want something too grotty?

Buy her some slippers and take me instead.
  • edited October 2012
    Peter_G said:

Last time we went we had a few nights in the Sheraton, Weehawken. It's across the Hudson from Manhattan (with fabulous views of the city), but it's right by a ferry point which takes you over to 38th Street in 10 minutes. There is also a Houlihan's bar / restaurant right by the hotel which was pretty good.

Lived in Guttenberg a mile or so North of Weehawken.
  • one other questions guys, most deals on expedia etc go into newark not JFK, advice on getting to centre of new york and approx cost
  • taxi will cost at most $70 from newark.

make sure you tell them you know the price before you get in the cab. they are known to rip tourists off.
  • one other questions guys, most deals on expedia etc go into newark not JFK, advice on getting to centre of new york and approx cost

Train goes direct from airport to penn station,
  • Yeha its about 50-60$ for a dab from there .

Just do a runner mate
  • We stayed at the Helmsley Park, with fantastic views over Central Park.
    Best steak ever eaten was at Wolfgang's on Park Avenue.
    Taxi from Manhattan to JFK are fixed-price at 45USD
  • What a city, went for Chirpy's suggestion,The Newyorker.Back on Wednesday. COYR
  • An amazing place, I'm going back as soon as annual leave and money allows