Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

£2bn Paramount Theme park in Kent

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
Looks like this is going to happen on the Swanscombe peninsula, beside Ebbsfleet Intl.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2012/october/8/reaction_to_paramount_park.aspx

That'll be the A2 screwed up even more...........................

Comments

• Might be able to sell my place in Gravesend now then....... Micky Mouse is surely gonna want a local crash pad for all the late shifts!
  • They should call it Waterworld in preparation for the inevitable flooding.
  • edited October 2012

Looks like this is going to happen on the Swanscombe peninsula, beside Ebbsfleet Intl.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2012/october/8/reaction_to_paramount_park.aspx

That'll be the A2 screwed up even more...........................</blockquote

Yeh the Olympics will be shit as well !

• But the Olympics was a one off event for a short spell soapy, so hardly a worthy comparison.

As I live in Gravesend and this will be right on my doorstep I'm not looking forward to it personally.

Despite all the widening of the A2 over the recent years, it still struggles to cope with a saturdays shopping spree at Bluewater, So god know what it will be like with this.............
  • I live less than 1/2 mile away in Greenhithe, personally think its great for the area, loads of new infrastructure required, but short term pain for long term gain.

How can anything that brings employment, redevlopment, new housing and probably/hopefully raises existing house prices in an area be a bad thing?
  • edited October 2012
    Tango I am a 49 year old run down piece of shit, out of love with most and everything in this country, how it is run, how the wrong people always seem to come out on top...it is of course an all encompassing middle age crisis I admit.

When I first saw this on the interweb a couple of days ago I read the report and immediately picked up on the negatives, on a flood plain, 6 (FUCKING SIX!!!) years in planning (IF we are lucky...), a possible new Thames crossing (because we have only been waiting 30 years for that one!!!) and went on my way thinking that will be the day.

Then I thought, "you know what I am fed up with most about being fed up all the time Soapy?" "I am fed up with being fed up"

So I now say, "bring it on and as soon as possible, because IF nothing happens, there is no reason for my daughters of 24 and 22 to even bother to stick around in Kent, which just so happens to be immediately next to one of the most affluent parts of Western Europe, yet they have no prospects, no aspirations outside of what they are force fed on by stupid TV programs and idiot politicians of all colours" This project if it gets going now, will provide thousands of jobs and millions of pounds will be injected into the economy.

Feck me these new pills work wonders !

• Tango I am a 49 year old run down piece of shit, out of love with most and everything in this country, how it is run, how the wrong people always seem to come out on top...it is of course an all encompassing middle age crisis I admit.

When I first saw this on the interweb a couple of days ago I read the report and immediately picked up on the negatives, on a flood plain, 6 (FUCKING SIX!!!) years in planning (IF we are lucky...), a possible new Thames crossing (because we have only been waiting 30 years for that one!!!) and went on my way thinking that will be the day.

Then I thought, "you know what I am fed up with most about being fed up all the time Soapy?" "I am fed up with being fed up"

So I now say, "bring it on and as soon as possible, because IF nothing happens, there is no reason for my daughters of 24 and 22 to even bother to stick around in Kent, which just so happens to be immediately next to one of the most affluent parts of Western Europe, yet they have no prospects, no aspirations outside of what they are force fed on by stupid TV programs and idiot politicians of all colours" This project if it gets going now, will provide thousands of jobs and millions of pounds will be injected into the economy.

Christ, whats the name of these pills, I want some!

• Brilliant idea. Anything that brings some employment and improvements in infrastructure (including transport systems) has to be welcome in Kent. I don't personally like these parks but if it means that people spend their lesiure cash in the UK rather than Paris, then that's also good news for the UK economy.
  • I can't open the attachment on BB - page too large, so is this a Paramount (Pictures) based theme park or just a theme park called Paramount, like Chessington?

If the former, will be a much bigger draw in my opinion and will be a big boost for local employment and surrounding area investment.

Kung Fu Panda, Shrek, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Titanic etc all Paramount Studios from recollection, so here's hoping.
  • But the Olympics was a one off event for a short spell soapy, so hardly a worthy comparison.

As I live in Gravesend and this will be right on my doorstep I'm not looking forward to it personally.

Despite all the widening of the A2 over the recent years, it still struggles to cope with a saturdays shopping spree at Bluewater, So god know what it will be like with this.............

Agree with this. Any simple breakdown on the A2/M25 results in Dartford grinding to a halt. It's not a case of widening roads/improving junctions, the whole road system would need to be rebuilt.

And as for raising the already expensive house prices in the area, it's not a good thing for the people that would like to stay in the area. Jobs in this place will be mostly part-time and minimum wage.

I have no idea why, but I love living in the Dartford area and would like to stay close to my family and friends, but I won't be able to now. I'll never be able to afford to buy a place and, having lived right by the Dartford Tunnel for a few years, my health won't be able to cope with the additional congestion causing poorer air quality (it's bad enough already!)

So, I won't be a NIMBY - I say build it, along with the thousands of additional houses in the eastern quarry at Bluewater, the extra Thames crossing and then the Estuary airport - I will be long gone and all you that are happy with it can live with the consquences :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Pavo said:

I can't open the attachment on BB - page too large, so is this a Paramount (Pictures) based theme park or just a theme park called Paramount, like Chessington?

If the former, will be a much bigger draw in my opinion and will be a big boost for local employment and surrounding area investment.

Kung Fu Panda, Shrek, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Titanic etc all Paramount Studios from recollection, so here's hoping.

Pavo, we are talking Disneyland Paris size. They state it will be the in the top5 biggest in the world.
  • A theme park in Swanscombe? What they going to call it "Dismal Land"
  • I'm delighted as I just bought a place on Holborough Lakes in Snodland. I wonder what the rental market will be on a 5 bed detached house for american tourists!

I'm also trying to get more information on the residential side because I would hope they would be looking to use local consultancies and this is absolutely right up our alley.

Exciting times hopefully
  • Swisdom said:

I'm delighted as I just bought a place on Holborough Lakes in Snodland. I wonder what the rental market will be on a 5 bed detached house for american tourists!

I'm also trying to get more information on the residential side because I would hope they would be looking to use local consultancies and this is absolutely right up our alley.

Exciting times hopefully

Know the area well, nice.
  • Wilma said:

But the Olympics was a one off event for a short spell soapy, so hardly a worthy comparison.

Agree with this. Any simple breakdown on the A2/M25 results in Dartford grinding to a halt. It's not a case of widening roads/improving junctions, the whole road system would need to be rebuilt.

And as for raising the already expensive house prices in the area, it's not a good thing for the people that would like to stay in the area. Jobs in this place will be mostly part-time and minimum wage.

My house 2 minutes from the proposed site has dropped in price in the last 3-4 years

• Speaking as someone from Knockhall school, grandad, dad and me born in greenhithe - family all worked at Everards, uncle had the Pier, remeber the Lamb, Challises the bakers, podges paper shop, and played where bluewater is as a kid and it was called "the Ecky" i was gutted when Ingress Park was built.

GET ORF MOI LAND
  • DA1 said:

Speaking as someone from Knockhall school, grandad, dad and me born in greenhithe - family all worked at Everards, uncle had the Pier, remeber the Lamb, Challises the bakers, podges paper shop, and played where bluewater is as a kid and it was called "the Ecky" i was gutted when Ingress Park was built.

GET ORF MOI LAND

Didnt stop you living there though fella did it :-)

• Looks like this is going to happen on the Swanscombe peninsula, beside Ebbsfleet Intl.

Don't be soft Tango, they will obviously be improving the roads accordingly.
  • Big new project comes to this country, regenerating a brownfield site, create a lot of new jobs to an area that needs it, might cause come disruption but generally it will be good for the economy.

Cue reaction of the nimby's. I can't think where we heard this before?
  • Looks like this is going to happen on the Swanscombe peninsula, beside Ebbsfleet Intl.

Don't be soft Tango, they will obviously be improving the roads accordingly.
    This, lived right on the plot for 8 years, traffic a minor inconvenience.

• Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

DA1 said:

Speaking as someone from Knockhall school, grandad, dad and me born in greenhithe - family all worked at Everards, uncle had the Pier, remeber the Lamb, Challises the bakers, podges paper shop, and played where bluewater is as a kid and it was called "the Ecky" i was gutted when Ingress Park was built.

GET ORF MOI LAND

Must be a dodgy area with you two living there ;-)

• colthe3rd said:

Big new project comes to this country, regenerating a brownfield site, create a lot of new jobs to an area that needs it, might cause come disruption but generally it will be good for the economy.

Cue reaction of the nimby's. I can't think where we heard this before?

So true. This will be fantastic for Kent. I assume most of it will be indoors?!
  • Butters said:

DA9 said:

DA1 said:

GET ORF MOI LAND

Must be a dodgy area with you two living there ;-)

It was until DA1 moved out (after the torch burning march on his house)
  • Many years ago, I went on a "Road trip" of the states visiting theme parks (about 10). During the trip we took in 2 Paramount theme parks (Kings Island and Kings Dominion) and they were by far the worst, dirtiest, poorly staffed and Dangerous parks I have ever visited.

This was sometime ago and things may have improved but i wont be holding my breath for the opening.
  • DA9 said:

I live less than 1/2 mile away in Greenhithe, personally think its great for the area, loads of new infrastructure required, but short term pain for long term gain.

How can anything that brings employment, redevlopment, new housing and probably/hopefully raises existing house prices in an area be a bad thing?

I live on Ingress Park and agree that this can only be a good thing for the local area as mentioned above by DA9. My only concern would be noise pollution. Looking at the plans the proposed theme park appears to be right next door to the Ingress Park development. If this isn't built as an indoor attraction then could get quite noisy.

If house prices increase as a result though I think I could put up with that :)
  • Tango I am a 49 year old run down piece of shit, out of love with most and everything in this country, how it is run, how the wrong people always seem to come out on top...it is of course an all encompassing middle age crisis I admit.

Why does it take six years to plan this sort of thing FFS, that is why this country is going down hill, too much red tape and rigmarole getting anything done. I understand that we need planning laws and local consultation with this sort of thing but 6 years is just far too long. It must discourage business interest with that sort of lead time because it adds extra costs to a project.

Think of all the extra tax it will bring into the local economy not to mention jobs and local infrastructure upgrades. We ought to be pushing this sort of investment through and helping it to fruition, this is great news for Kent even though its a service based business, other business and even manufacturing could come too as local improvements are made. We are in the middle of the worst recession in generations and the worst is yet to come. Lets get this done before they change their minds and go somewhere else!
  • I think they are looking at opening in 6 years! 18 months to get the planning permission (possibly a little optimistic) and then 4.5 years build time. They are building a similar park in Murcia, they aren't starting construction until the new year, but expect to open summer 2015. I doubt it's as big (and the transport infrastructure is largely in place already).
  • sygonrima said:

Many years ago, I went on a "Road trip" of the states visiting theme parks (about 10). During the trip we took in 2 Paramount theme parks (Kings Island and Kings Dominion) and they were by far the worst, dirtiest, poorly staffed and Dangerous parks I have ever visited.

This was sometime ago and things may have improved but i wont be holding my breath for the opening.

It'll fit in with the rest of our theme parks then bar AT
  • This surely has to be in response to Warner Brothers creating a studio base and part Harry potter theme park in Hertfordshire. Can only be good for British film that the majors are making strong investments in the UK. As some one looking to get into the film industry this is further brilliant news.
  • The A2 would be less congested if people used it properly. It was widened to 4 lanes but so many use only lanes 3 & 4. You could quite easily overtake all of them in lane 1 at times, however that would be illegal. If more people used the inner lanes the congestion would be reduced.