Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paramount Park - Swanscombe

DA9DA9
edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I can hear the naysayers and local Nimbys mobilising as we speak. The campaign for the conservation of derelict Britain has already issued a statement. "The CCDB would like to go on record and say that we vehemently object to this proposal. This area is well known as a world renowned shopping trolley and abandoned fridge colony..." 6 years for planning sounds a bit on the optimistic side as well, especially when a bridge is mentioned, we have been waiting for that for 30 odd years!
  • Don't forget the Rare Butterfly and Beetle Brigade (RBBB) !
    (As if these creatures can't migrate naturally a few hundred yards to safety)
  • I thought Swanscombe was already a theme park. Or am I thinking of Jurassic park!!
  • The waterpark will never be as good as FantaSeas:

• haha that place was ledge
  • It's gonna be just like a women's nether region, a play area right next to a shit hole!!
  • Hope this comes off. Loads of work in the next few years. Now we just need either expansion at Gatwick or a new airport
  • Swanscombe an international tourist destination - LOL.
  • Hope this comes off. Loads of work in the next few years. Now we just need either expansion at Gatwick or a new airport

Watch Boris Island get shoe horned in as part of the redevelopment

• DA9 said:

Hope this comes off. Loads of work in the next few years. Now we just need either expansion at Gatwick or a new airport

Cant wait. The more the merrier
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely expansion at either Heathrow or Gatwick is preferable to another airport, especially in the Thames Estuary?
  • DA9 said:

Hope this comes off. Loads of work in the next few years. Now we just need either expansion at Gatwick or a new airport

Cant wait. The more the merrier
    Likewise, I live on Ingress, major lift for the area.

• Be good if this happens in swanscombe.
  • Build a new 2-3 runway airport just south of Leatherhead. Have high speed links to Heathrow and Gatwick so it takes less than 20 mins to get from either of those to the new airport. Then treat it as one super airport. You just have 20 min transits between the various sets of terminals. (H1-H5, G1-G2 and NewAirport1 to NewAirport 3). It would be ideally placed to have a fast link into Waterloo.

It would be cheaper than building an island in the Thames estuary. It would still allow the use of the massive business intrastructure that's grown up in the M3 and M4 corridors.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Surely expansion at either Heathrow or Gatwick is preferable to another airport, especially in the Thames Estuary?

Dont be silly. Think of all those people that bought f***ing huge great houses under the flightpath for a song and didnt realise there was an airport three miles away. Or of all the people in Boris-On-Thames who, quite unselfishly, want to see the value of their already immensely-valuable properties double overnight by the announcement of a new airport seventy miles East of them near a bunch of plebs, inevitably cutting flights from Heathrow in half.

• Can I be the first to say "This is an opportunity for CAFC, people coming into the area, etc, etc,"

Or another row with Scally more like
  • edited October 2012

Can I be the first to say "This is an opportunity for CAFC, people coming into the area, etc, etc,"

OR the Palace Bus loads of seats on it

• jdsd42 said:

Can I be the first to say "This is an opportunity for CAFC, people coming into the area, etc, etc,"

• Couldn't Southend Airport be extended....or the one in Kent? (Marston i think its called?)
  • edited October 2012
    Great news i guess , brings employment to the region.

Looks like they've got one in Spain

http://www.tumbit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=242&sid=8ce2eaa4f2307140a41d33c8d210a349
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Surely expansion at either Heathrow or Gatwick is preferable to another airport, especially in the Thames Estuary?

Dont be silly. Think of all those people that bought f***ing huge great houses under the flightpath for a song and didnt realise there was an airport three miles away. Or of all the people in Boris-On-Thames who, quite unselfishly, want to see the value of their already immensely-valuable properties double overnight by the announcement of a new airport seventy miles East of them near a bunch of plebs, inevitably cutting flights from Heathrow in half.

Ah yes. Didnt think of it like that!
  • The same proposal was made about 20 years ago for Rainham marshes in Essex. Whatever happened to that?
  • I heard that it's a front for a group that wants to build a mega-mosque.
  • DanDavis said:

Couldn't Southend Airport be extended....or the one in Kent? (Marston i think its called?)

I think Southend has just had a lengthened runway so it can take slightly larger jets but thats about if as regards potential for further expansion.

While there have been attempts to increase Manstons use, I think the transport links must be vastly improved before they will have much success growing that airport cos it takes forever to get there.

• down in the south east we have this problem with droughts.
    a waterpark without water is one rough place.
  • Would the plans include a new 60,000 seater stadium for Charlton - 'The New Valley'.
  • The same proposal was made about 20 years ago for Rainham marshes in Essex. Whatever happened to that?

That was Eurodisney - think they went to somewhere in France in the end.

• The problem is that a high proportion of flights in-bound to Heathrow have passengers who then get on connecting flights. So whilst if we use all the various regional airports (Southend, Luton, Manston, Ashford, etc.) we have plenty of runway capacity, that doesn't solve the connection issue. Currently the problem is that far too many passengers arrive on long haul flights at Heathrow, and then find their connection is at Gatwick or, worse, Stanstead. Ideally we need an airport that is bigger than Heathrow and Gatwick combined, and has 5+ runways. The problem then is where do you build it? My solution above about building an airport at Leatherhead does address the connections issue, and is cheaper than Boris Island, but unlikely I think.

The most likely solution is that Heathrow will slowly expand, as will Gatwick. The infrastructure is all there, the links to London, the surrounding business parks and airport support industries. Whilst Boris island is a lovely idea (and I do like the idea personally), it's just not feasible. Even if you could build it for a great price, you still need billions spent of public money to get the transport infrastructure right, and then billions in private money (costs which will inevitably be passed down the supply chain until it's us paying for it) to move all the companies that have sprung up in the M3/M4 corridor because of the great air transport links.
  • The problem is that a high proportion of flights in-bound to Heathrow have passengers who then get on connecting flights. So whilst if we use all the various regional airports (Southend, Luton, Manston, Ashford, etc.) we have plenty of runway capacity, that doesn't solve the connection issue. Currently the problem is that far too many passengers arrive on long haul flights at Heathrow, and then find their connection is at Gatwick or, worse, Stanstead. Ideally we need an airport that is bigger than Heathrow and Gatwick combined, and has 5+ runways. The problem then is where do you build it? My solution above about building an airport at Leatherhead does address the connections issue, and is cheaper than Boris Island, but unlikely I think.

The most likely solution is that Heathrow will slowly expand, as will Gatwick. The infrastructure is all there, the links to London, the surrounding business parks and airport support industries. Whilst Boris island is a lovely idea (and I do like the idea personally), it's just not feasible. Even if you could build it for a great price, you still need billions spent of public money to get the transport infrastructure right, and then billions in private money (costs which will inevitably be passed down the supply chain until it's us paying for it) to move all the companies that have sprung up in the M3/M4 corridor because of the great air transport links.

Still think Estuary airport might get go ahead, especially as they are beefing up the roads in Essex around Sadlers Farm A 130 - they did need it though!! I think long term there will be an outer M25 which will link existing road networks...Coryton refinery recently shut despite being profitabl it was the refurbishment costs that killed it apparently now what will they do with all that land ???????
  • That site is no where big enough for an airport, though could conceivably be a decent car park for an estuary airport. The other option being discussed is the Isle of Grain (and most of that peninsular). The issue there is the RSPB, which would likely tie that up in the courts for decades.