Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CHARLTON.....childhood dream!

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
Hi Guys this is my first post. I was born at number 20 Wilson House on the Springfield estate in October 1956. Our family moved to number 11 Birch Tree House on the Cherry Orchard estate when I was 4 years old. I moved out of Charlton to Woolwich when I was 12 so I have 12 years of childhood spent in Charlton. I went Charlton Manor school and one of my fondest memories was in the infants. There was a teacher named Miss Denyer, and for some strange reason she took a real shine to me. On a cold winter's day she would warm my hands on the radiator, she even bought me a birthday present and made me a costume for the school play. My worst memories was in the juniors at the hands of Mr stead. I have read some posts stating that he was a jolly nice man but that is the people he chose to be nice to. He made my life hell for my last year at that school and to this day I don't know why. For instance, he explained to the class that we all had to be clear of what he was saying before he moved on and we should ask him to repeat if we needed. I asked and was belittled in front of the whole class. On another occasion he whacked me round the head with my geometry book because my lined were too woolly. Another person who was generally feared was Miss Stimpson, what a dragon she was, a very good teacher but her way of going about things was draconial to say the least. I went to Charlton Secondary when I left the Manor. Can't remember too much about the Lombard wall end but Teachers I remember at the upper end were Mr Goodwin the maths teacher, this guy was a caveman lol. When he wasn't shouting at people he would be twisting someone's ear in half. He used to play bridge with the pupils at break times which was good though. Then there was Mr Gorrella, he was another one for bending ears but he listened if you talked to him, I thought he was a good guy. There was Mr Foss, the kids used to walk all over him but he was ok. Mr Hilary was another decent bloke and who could forget Mr Coffee the science teacher. This was one guy you didn't mess with, he was fair but nobody crossed him. He used to run with the Cambridge Harriers I believe, he was always running during the lunch break. Sadly, I have been informed he died a good while ago. I remember a small shop across the road that sold hot pies, very tasty!! When I was there everyone talked about some guy named Gladstone, apparently he was the best fighter in the school, even though I'd never seen him fight! I think he ruled by fear maybe? One day a black guy arrived outside the school from another school and said he wanted to fight the best fighter in the school. He reckoned that he had been around all the other schools and sorted out the best of the best. Now Gladstone was a bit of a big lad, very tall, he towered over this black guy who made a few excuses and left lol. People I remember were Manny Hughes, Paul Lynch, Kier Duvall, Bob Bovet, Keith Brett, Peter (one fight a day) Smith, Danny Hyland, Paul Roberts and so many more I can't remember. Enough for now, I will post some more of my life and times in Charlton another time.

Comments

• birchtree said:

Enough for now, I will post some more of my life and times in Charlton another time.

is that really necessary ?

• But did you know Airman Brown?
  • Welcome to the forum however I am sorry but I cannot connect the title of your thread to the story?
  • edited September 2012

birchtree said:

Enough for now, I will post some more of my life and times in Charlton another time.

is that really necessary ?

I'm pretty sure there are others on the forum who were around at the same time and will have an interest so why not? We discuss all kinds of things on here.

• Hi Birchtree. Might need to subtly mention that "Charlton Life" is a forum for fans of Charlton Athletic? I say this only as there's no mention of footy in your post, and I suspect you may be misundertanding the site from it's name? :)
  • To be fair he has posted in "not sports related" so it looks as if he knows what he is doing. He looks as if he is checking to see if anybody on here went to school with him or knows any of the names he has mentioned.

I cant help him I went to a posh school in Plumstead called Bloomfield :-)
  • edited September 2012
    I think perhaps you've got 'Charlton Life' in terms of your life and times of living in Charlton and a Charlton Athletic FC forum mixed up
  • To be fair he has posted in "not sports related" so it looks as if he knows what he is doing. He looks as if he is checking to see if anybody on here went to school with him or knows any of the names he has mentioned.

I cant help him I went to a posh school in Plumstead called Bloomfield :-)

Friends re-united would probably be a better place to start. ;-)

In all fairness, there's plenty of threads on here that have nothing to do with football, so see no problem with this one. However, I have never lived in SE London and am a decade younger than the poster. so, for those reasons, I'm out................
  • I lived in Cherry Orchard at the same time ... so may know you ... Blaker Court then Fairlawn Court.

You mention Peter Smith ... if the same person, he also lived in Cherry Orchard but it is a common name
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2012
    I want to know if the black lad came back for another go at Gladstone?
  • The reason Mr Stead didn't like you is obvious. He was desperate to get into Miss Denyers bloomers, but she was far too busy showering you with her love and affection to even notice him, hence, he took all his frustration out by making your life hell. The answer's there if you read between the lines............................ :-D
  • Can this be a Sticky?
  • i reckon he was eating werthers originals whilst writing this.
  • Love your gif, Macronate - made me literally laugh out loud!
  • This has all the makings for a classic thread.
  • Id like to hear more about Mr Gorilla
  • Birchwood, you will never get far on CL without putting paragraphs in your post. However, I note that in 611 words there is no mention of Thatcher, so well done there but beware a lightning attack from the CL Red Wedge. Welcome.
  • More... more... more
  • Sponsored links:

• Birchtree, were you a looker in your day and did you end up hairdressing in Blackpool?
  • WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE!
  • Can you play in midfield? How tall are you?
  • stonemuse said:

I lived in Cherry Orchard at the same time ... so may know you ... Blaker Court then Fairlawn Court.

You mention Peter Smith ... if the same person, he also lived in Cherry Orchard but it is a common name

Peter lived in Cherry Tree House. Thanks for the comment. So many negative comments, I'm truly shocked.....I hate bloody football for god sakes lol
  • edited September 2012
    I'm truly shocked.....I hate bloody football for god sakes lol

Is that you Tony?
  • OK you guys want a post about football then here it is. I remember the valley when i was a lad. After a match there was a guy selling hot chestnuts outside by Mauds. Thats when Charlton Athletic owned the ground before they got skint by paying cocky footballers too much money.
  • What are your thoughts on the new girl on Countdown?
  • You think I have time to watch telly in my busy schedule?
  • do u like chips?
  • yes i love chips