Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sorry with the Solly Situation

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
Don't know about others, i will be absolutely gutted if he moves on in the next couple of weeks.

Whether its used to clear debts, or finance new bodies, seeing Chris emerge and progress last year was one of my main enjoyments in last season's success. The kid has such a great attitude and appetite, and i can see only getting better. He is exactly the type of players supporters love to warm to, and to a nice humble come through the ranks is even better.

To lose that so early into his 'career' i'll personally find really gutting.

Comments

• Do you have good reason to believe that there is a 'situation' and that there really is a strong chance that he might move on?
  • WSSWSS
    edited July 2012
  • Nadou said:

Do you have good reason to believe that there is a 'situation' and that there really is a strong chance that he might move on?

yes

• 20k views
  • which is ?
  • Don't know about others, i will be absolutely gutted if he moves on in the next couple of weeks.

Whether its used to clear debts, or finance new bodies, seeing Chris emerge and progress last year was one of my main enjoyments in last season's success. The kid has such a great attitude and appetite, and i can see only getting better. He is exactly the type of players supporters love to warm to, and to a nice humble come through the ranks is even better.

It will be sad but if that's whats needed to bring the club forward so be it.

• This would be a serious disappointment after the highs of last season.
  • thought the message from Powell was that he wasnt going anywhere
  • Maybe it's not up to Powell?
  • Sponsored links:

• Powell doesn't hold the purse strings, if he goes let's just hope it is for a very good price
  • Powell has said he didn't want solly leaving under any circumstances.
  • if he has to go, then he has to go.....if we had to sell someone to fund purchases and it was down to him or Yann, then thanks Chris and bye bye.

seems we potentially already have a replacement in waiting.

don't want to see him go at all, but life moves on...

personally I'd swap him for Baldock (and some cash)
  • edited July 2012
    so if powell wants to keep him but he goes, what then will happen to Powell?!

The board would have to think long and hard about that decision and any knock on effects.

cant be doing with this on a monday
  • Modern football unfortunately. Very very few clubs outside the big boys can keep hold of their prospects.

Southampton would probably push for Europe regularly if they could keep the talent they churn out regularly.
  • Solly for Baldock, just hope there is cash involved too.
  • Agreed, but if we have to do it to redistribute resources around the team then so be it - it will, however, be the biggest indicator yet that there is no secret mystery mega backer. If we don't sell then i'd suggest there is.
  • be gutted if he went but no one player is bigger than the Club and if it means that a) we strengthen the squad in other areas and become a stronger team because of it or b) it saves us from financial meltdown then i'd reluctantly go along with it.

I don't see us having splashed 400k on Wilson to be a Solly back-up/occasional RM player. CP must have said that if Solly goes I need to have a RB in the building first. I'm afraid that on balance I can see Chris going.
  • I don't think Solly for cash and Baldock just on loan would be a good deal IMO.
  • WSSWSS
    edited July 2012

so if powell wants to keep him but he goes, what then will happen to Powell?

Exactly my thoughts.

• Sponsored links:

• Personally I would be gutted to lose yet another of our academy successes
  • Don't know about others, i will be absolutely gutted if he moves on in the next couple of weeks.

It will be sad but if that's whats needed to bring the club forward so be it.

afreed. Just hope we get Baldock and some cash if he does go...

• WSS said:

Exactly my thoughts.

he will accept that books have to be balanced and crack on with the job just like 99% of all other managers have to.
  • Will be very gutted if he goes, really enjoyed watching him play last season, would be a huge shame.

• I don't see us having splashed 400k on Wilson to be a Solly back-up/occasional RM player. CP must have said that if Solly goes I need to have a RB in the building first. I'm afraid that on balance I can see Chris going.

or we're in a better financial position than people are thinking right now.
  • As others have said, I would be more concerned with the knock on for SCP's position than just losing Solly. I hope he stays but if it meant strengthening elsewhere I could live with it.
  • Agree it would be really gutting to see Chris leave so soon after making such a fantastic breakthrough for us. It's happened before on numerous occasions with the likes of Paul Walsh, Paul Elliot, Gordon Watson, Lee Bowyer to name but four. If the bigger picture means we are stronger as a club and hopefully as a team then I can accept that. I did hope though that with the takeover those days were in the past and when we did sell on a Charlton star it would be after us developing them a lot further.
  • Would be gutted myself. Loved watching him last season, he would be massively missed.
  • WSS said:

Exactly my thoughts.

he will accept that books have to be balanced and crack on with the job just like 99% of all other managers have to.
    I think you underestimate SCP's ambition as a person and as a manager.

He may (and does) love the club, of that there is no doubt, but I can't see him gladly accepting goalposts moving, or restrictive situations like Dario Gradi has done for 100s of years at Crewe for example!

• red_murph said:

Would be gutted myself. Loved watching him last season, he would be massively missed.

Agree.