Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell - And how we're on the way back up !

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
http://blog.oddslife.com/2012/07/charlton-chris-powell-rises/

Written a piece on Chris Powell's extraordinary role in the rebirth of our club (as well as a bit of a dig at dowie and co.) Hope you all enjoy it let me know what you think !

Comments

• How nice to see someone write something positive!
  • Good read nice bit on Chris Powell.

Bit harsh on Parky, not one of Banes henchman IMO!

He did the best he could for Charlton, just his best wasnt good enough.
  • edited July 2012
    Should your board not get a lot of credit in that blog piece also?

I know they're taking a bit of flak at the moment, but they did back Powell immensely.

Dont get me wrong, Powell did an amazing job getting those players to gel so quickly and organised so well...but, he was given the opportunity by the board to go out and basically sign one of the best players in League One in any given position from divisional rivals.

And given that both Sheffield clubs finished on 90 points or more then it is a fair argument to suggest that without that amazing board investment that Charlton might have had to settle for the play-offs at best.

Just offering an outside view - you lot (rightly so) worship Powell...whereas at The Den both Jackett and the chairman received equal praise for the club's progress.

Unless I am missing out on something as an outsider?
  • totally agree Bunny
  • Yeah definitely agree with that Bunny you aren't missing anything at all; the board played a huge part - simply didn't mention it due to the fact that the piece was mainly on Chris Powell's influence
  • very nice piece.
    As said above, the board do deserve a mention as well.

I too have sympathy for Parky, by the time he was given the reins he was left trying to bail out a flood using a only wooden spoon. He also had the best win ratio of the four with 38%, Pardew managed 31%, Dowie 26% and Les Reed 14%.

And don't forget, Parky brought Johnnie Jacko to the club.

• Yeah definitely agree with that Bunny you aren't missing anything at all; the board played a huge part - simply didn't mention it due to the fact that the piece was mainly on Chris Powell's influence

Which is fair enough.

But, if I was a board member I'd be a bit miffed that a line saying something like 'Chris Powell, with the superb backing of the board, was able to go out and build a squad capable of putting the Addicks back on the map' was no where to be seen.

Again, not taking away from Powell's achievement, but if say Ronnie Moore was given the opportunity by his board to sign some of the best players at divisional rivals then Id be willing to bet a reasonable amount that Tranmere Rovers would get promoted.

I use Moore as example as I think he is a decent manager at that level. So do agree Powell deserves praise - Spackman was given pretty decent backing by us but failed spectacularly - as spending money doesn't always bring success...good managers do.
  • Par dew was only half a season into the decline and we were still a viable PL club so methinks you don't give him enough credit for the decline.