Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Football Racist?

I reckon it must be going on last nights documentary - I mean, where was Chrissy??? I kept expecting him to appear but tbh was quite glad that he didn't actually and we heard from others instead on their experience.

Some interesting and shocking points covered and I sincerely hope that Clarke Carlisle is not lost to the game after his playing days are finished.

Comments

• I read somewhere John Barnes was claiming he couldn't get work because of his colour. Conveniently forgetting his inept management skills.
  • Didn't see it but glad that Chris wasn't on it. He's a football manager who happens to be black and good at his job.
  • I read somewhere John Barnes was claiming he couldn't get work because of his colour. Conveniently forgetting his inept management skills.
    I saw the second half of it. John Barnes came across a little bit bitter saying he wasn't giving the chance because he was black. Ignoring his totally woeful Managerial Record. Didn't sit comfortably with me at all.
  • Found it a very interesting programme, especially the bit about Asians in football and being told you won't get anywhere as you are "Brown". Some of the stuff that Stan Collymeore had fired at him on twitter from so called Livepool fans was shocking. As for the two Polish teams, one with a Jewish background and the songs that the other team's fans were singing about them was something else.

As for John Barnes, he was given the manager's job at Celtic and was poor, Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious says it all.
  • I don't know what all the fuzz is about, racism works both ways doesn't it?

I don't condone racism in any way but if it was on the other foot, would there be so much hype? I very much doubt it.

Fed up with hearing it.
  • Didn't see it but I my thoughts on the subject title. I don't think football is racists as such, unfortunately in the world there are racist people, some find their way into football be it as players, coaches, supporters etc. Some will even air their disgusting views. I don't think football is to blame, these types of people will be found in nearly every walk of life unfortunately.

I don't condone racism in any way but if it was on the other foot, would there be so much hype? I very much doubt it.

Fed up with hearing it.
    But the shoe is not on the other foot, is it?

Fed up with hearing it.
    There is no such thing as racism against white people according to certain influential left wing opinion formers and Question Time regulars.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100013521/jo-brand-you-cant-be-racist-towards-white-people/

Fed up with hearing it.
    But the shoe is not on the other foot, is it?
    Not going to play those games with you fella.

Take what you will from what I wrote.
  • I reckon it must be going on last nights doumentary - I mean, where was Chrissy??? I kept expecting him to appear but tbh was quite glad that he didn't actually and we heard from others instead on their experience.

Some interesting and shocking points covered and I sincerly hope that Clarke Carlisle is not lost to the game after his playing days are finished.
    I seriously do not give a fuck !

Black this, white this, choc ice this.... life is just too fucking short
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2012
    lol
  • I reckon it must be going on last nights doumentary - I mean, where was Chrissy??? I kept expecting him to appear but tbh was quite glad that he didn't actually and we heard from others instead on their experience.

Some interesting and shocking points covered and I sincerly hope that Clarke Carlisle is not lost to the game after his playing days are finished.

Presumably you've never been a victim?
  • Watched it, thought Clarke Carlisle came across pretty dim to be honest, didn't have much of a grasp on things, which he normally does.

John Barnes can do one, useless manager, that's why he didn't get a chance.

The programme was far too 'fluffy' and didn't drive into any detail.

Carlisle kept saying, "It's 2012, 25% of players are black, why aren't managers?"

He needs to track back over the past 10-20 years and look at all the black players who retired and what they now do. Did they look to go into coaching, if not, why not? If they are coaches, why aren't they managers yet? Have they applied? Etc etc etc.

This was all very very high level and he took what certain people said as gospel. Walked away from 2 asian lads believeing every single word they said. 84 goals in a season? Cannot believe a club, any professional or semi-pro club wouldn't have had a look - if they didn't, then go & ask some local clubs, Luton, Staines etc why didn't look or if they did why didn't they give them a chance.

All a lot of very broadbrush stuff, disappointing when the topic is so important.

(& that stuff written by mainly LFC fans towards Evra...there are an awful lot of keyboard warriors on twitter, but still, that is hugely embarrassing knowing people type such ignorant crap.)
  • when will this end,white people being offended
  • wonder if panorama will be saying sorry sometime soon for its bullshite about the euros in poland and ukraine?
  • I think the test is not to see how many black managers there currently are- but how many boards have appointed black managers. So Tranmere and MkDons don't have black managers at present but have appointed black managers so can't be racist. There may be some boards that are racist of course- but it is important how you interpret the figures.
  • I missed the programe, what aspect of the game where they looking into?
  • I don't think the topic is important Sparrows as you appear to have answerd the question. If black players retire and don't bother to take up a coaching course that will progress them in the game once they have hung up their boots that is thier choice.
  • Football is a game, it is unable of itself to be "racist". Therefore only the people involved in the game can be racist, a group of people being (or not being) racist is a social issue. Thus the question should be "is society racist".
  • Sponsored links:

• If we do well next season, we will start to really worry that another club will try to pinch Sir Chris from us. I don't think we will be relaxed thinking, he's black so nobody will want him which says a lot really.

Sir Chris has said himself that the numbers will increase over time. There are only a limited number of managers and in the premiership most are from abroad so it's a matter of grabbing hold of your chance when it comes more than race.
  • Thought sparrows summed it up perfectly!

Presumably you've never been a victim?
    Thanks for your interest Uboat but I prefer to keep that to myself.
  • its on iplayer here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l204m/Is_Football_Racist/
    I can't get player where I am, but I've just read more of the above and see that it's black people in management.

Clubs will employ who they consider to be the best candidate for the post, the colour of their skin makes no difference!

Just a quick question, name a decent black candidate for the Forrest job, who you'd be happy to see in the seat, if you were a Forrest supporter?
  • its on iplayer here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l204m/Is_Football_Racist/
    I can't get player where I am, but I've just read more of the above and see that it's black people in management.

Clubs will employ who they consider to be the best candidate for the post, the colour of their skin makes no difference!

Just a quick question, name a decent black candidate for the Forrest job, who you'd be happy to see in the seat, if you were a Forrest supporter?
    Jason Lee!
  • I don't think the topic is important Sparrows as you appear to have answerd the question. If black players retire and don't bother to take up a coaching course that will progress them in the game once they have hung up their boots that is thier choice.
    I think the issue has been that black players have felt they haven't got a chance on the coaching or management side so haven't even attempted to do their badges etc.

Football is still very much about who you know, perhaps black players have always felt managers etc were more pally with the white players etc and wouldn't get a job ahead of them when they retired.

Missing the point. Why ain't more black players going in to coaching & therefore being in a position to apply for a managers job? It's been mentioned years ago that it's perceived as being harder for a black man to get a coaching job, so they ain't bothered...hence the lack of decent black managers.

As I said, the programme was very high level and didn't really explore anything like the above. It's just planted the seed of doubt into more black people rather than prove anything one way or the other.
  • The best way to become a manager is to be a good player and become a player manager at a level lower than your ability- or to be popular/experienced within a club. If Sir Chris was not a Charlton legend - would he have been considered?

More black players need to do their badges and then it is luck and opportunity and taking your chance when it comes.

I recall reading his book. The edition took us up to the start of his glorious run at Celtic. He accused Sheffield United of racism for not giving him a coaches job that he'd applied for. No hint of there being a possibility that they just didn't think he would be much good. He soent half the book going on about Ryan Giggs being so good because he was black. A very odd man.