Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

best covers of songs

Comments

• Eloise by the Damned don't know who did it first .can't get used to losing you by the Beat is also good .originally by Andy WIlliams?
  • Eloise by the Damned don't know who did it first .can't get used to losing you by the Beat is also good .originally by Andy WIlliams?
    Good shout on those 2 ashley.
    Eloise was originally done by Barry Ryan back in 1968

• Not Fade Away - Buddy Holly/Rolling Stones
    It's All Over Now - BobbyWomack/ Rolling Stones
    All the Young Dudes - Bowie/Mott
    Always on my Mind - Elvis/Pet Shop Boys
    This Wheels on Fire - Dylan/Julie Driscoll
    All The Young Dudes was written by Bowie especially for Mott and their version was released first. So not actually a cover version. Bowie originaly offered them Suffragette City but they turned it down.
  • Can't Get You Out of My Head - The Flaming Lips/Kylie
    Sweet Child O Mine - Luna/Guns 'n' Roses
    Sweet Thing - The Waterboys/Van Morrison
    Rope Soul'd - The Black Ships/John Martyn (actually some great covers of Martyn's songs on the tribute album Johnny Boy Would Love This)
  • I like Here comes the Sun by Steve Harley, sorry Beatles fans
    All The Young Dudes was written by Bowie especially for Mott and their version was released first. So not actually a cover version. Bowie originaly offered them Suffragette City but they turned it down.
    Fair point.
    MTH's version certainly aces DB's

• Could I interest Lifers in our music blog? - basically 6 old-ish gits who get together to meet & chat about music over a drink or two, in a not-too-po-faced way.

http://gentlemensmusicclub.wordpress.com/

You'll see that we discussed covers in one of our sessions, something there for everyone

http://gentlemensmusicclub.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/cover-versions/
  • edited July 2012
    Oh to be so gifted that you can turn down Bowie songs!
  • Whiskey In The Jar by Thin Lizzy, covered by Metallica is brilliant.

Infact Metallica did an entire album of rock covers that were pretty much all better than the originals!
  • Sponsored links:

• Whiskey in the Jar is an old song covered by Lizzy.

Johnny Too Bad by John Martyn

Cowboy Junkies cover of the Velvets Sweet Jane.

Patti Smith's Gloria and My Generation

Marvin Gaye's cover of Heard it through the Grapevine

Canned heat and Bryan Ferry's let's stick/work together. Both excellent covers

Sinead O,connor - Nothing compares to U
  • God Save the Queen .. Sex Pistols
    Willing .. Linda Ronstadt
    Jackson .. Lee and Nancy
  • live and let die .. Guns N Roses/Paul McCartney
    Ghostbusters .. Xentrix/Ray Parker Junior
  • I want money - flying Lizards/Beatles
    But Beatles wasn't the original. Barratt strong first released this on Tamla in 59. Not heard the flying lizards version but the original is a true classic and better than beatles cover IMO
  • Please Mister Postman - The Beatles.
    But Beatles wasn't the original. Barratt strong first released this on Tamla in 59. Not heard the flying lizards version but the original is a true classic and better than beatles cover IMO

also, 'Money' was written by Berry Gordy the Motown founder/main man
  • stairway to heaven - rolf harris
  • House of the Rising Sun .. Animals
  • Ceremony - Joy Division/New Order/ Galaxie 500
  • Sponsored links:

• Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.
  • edited July 2012
    I want money - flying Lizards/Beatles

also, 'Money' was written by Berry Gordy the Motown founder/main man
    I've now looked up the flying lizards version and now remember it. Better than the original or the Beatles version????? I think someone's got muck in their ears. ;-)
  • Well I have to say With a Little Help from my friends by Joe Cocker took a Ringo singalong and turned it into a Blues tour de force still blows me away
  • I've now looked up the flying lizards version and now remember it. Better than the original or the Beatles version????? I think someone's got muck in their ears. ;-)

Saw Buddy Guy do a version of Money and it was sensational just a good song I would say
  • A bit left field but Madness and their version of Swan Lake came up on my iPod this morning...always makes me smile!
  • Word Up by the Gun is imo far better than the Cameo original. Also this one brings back delightful memories of the summers of '72 and '73 - ah the darkened rooms and exotic fragrances - happy days!
    http://youtu.be/W-x5b0JEnYM
  • The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown) - Originally by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac but Judas Priest took it to another level.
    I agree with that! Priest also did great covers of Race With The Devil, originally performed by The Gun and Diamonds and Rust, originally by Joan Baez. They did a pretty good version of Johnny B Goode too.

Others:
    Word Up - Cameo / Gun
    Stone Cold Crazy - Queen / Metallica
    I Got the Fire / Montrose (RIP Ronnie by the way) / Iron Maiden
    Land of Confusion - Genesis / Disturbed
    Rockin All Over the World - John Fogerty / Status Quo
    God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols / Motorhead
    I Can Hear Music - The Ronettes first, then The Beach Boys but bettered by Larry Lurex, aka Freddie Mercury

• Jealous Guy (John Lennon)......Bryan Ferry
  • Mad World - Tears for Fears/Gary Jules
    Long Tall Sally - Little Richard/The Beatles
    Twist and Shout - Isley Brothers?/ The Beatles
    You got the love - The Source ft Candy Staton/Florence and the Machine
  • edited July 2012
    Jealous Guy (John Lennon)......Bryan Ferry
    Frankie Miller did a good version of this as well. I remember seeing Frankie and the band at the time - the roadies spent quite some time positioning bottles of alcohol on the stage. It was no surprise that the band couldn't agree what key they were going to play the encore in!

Oh, and Rod Stewart and the Faces also did a blinding version!