Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roy on Wayne

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
"Capello is entitled to his opinions, I suppose. I don't know what relationship he would have had with Wayne but I always think it's a bit cheap to kid on a player who was so anxious to do well.

"His attitude [at Euro 2012] was magnificent. He was putting in extra work in training because he was concerned he was behind the others having missed the first two games through suspension.

"He was trying to do extra work and we were trying to put the brakes on. His desire to do well was enormous.

"In the final game [against Italy] he, along with one or two other players, didn't play to the level he can but that's what football is about. If every player was a robot and played at the same level in every game then football would be a very simple game and we wouldn't need coaches."

I thought this was a great statement from Roy.

Full story http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/19692/7844276/Hodgson-hits-back-over-Rooney

Comments

• Very good for Roy to defend Rooney but I personally agree with Capello on this.
  • Rooney's second touch, nearly always a challenge.
    He look unfit to me and the way he struggled to keep up with play or to control the ball, in my book, is a sign of lack of fitness/games or both.
  • Always good to see a manager defending his players. Wouldn't think much of him if he said: "Fair enough. We've tried but Rooney is obviously not really up to the job"
  • Other than that Liverpool w*er and Suarez of course.
  • Hodgson has talked a lot of sense since his appointment.
  • Hodgson has talked a lot of sense since his appointment.
    Indeed FoD, I like the fact he's not defending the way he played, but making it quite clear that it wasn't down to a lack of effort.

Whatever the reasons behind him playing below club standard, which is clear for all to see, it's an important (and sometimes undervalued) skill for a manager to be able to provide a supportive and cogent front to any squad which will no doubt strengthen unity and confidence. I like to think that the way Roy has handled himself over the last few months will indirectly affect our performances.
  • "His attitude [at Euro 2012] was magnificent. He was putting in extra work in training because he was concerned he was behind the others having missed the first two games through suspension.

"He was trying to do extra work and we were trying to put the brakes on. His desire to do well was enormous."
    So I wonder would Roondog have done better had they not shackled him up in training?
  • "His attitude [at Euro 2012] was magnificent. He was putting in extra work in training because he was concerned he was behind the others having missed the first two games through suspension.

"He was trying to do extra work and we were trying to put the brakes on. His desire to do well was enormous."
    So I wonder would Roondog have done better had they not shackled him up in training?
    ...or maybe he would have been a bit fitter if he hadn't buggered off to Vegas for a holiday just before the tournament?

...or maybe he would have been a bit fitter if he hadn't buggered off to Vegas for a holiday just before the tournament?

As I say just wondering.
  • I read the thread title and thought, "they're shagging, oh that explains it."
  • Sponsored links:

• Always good to see a manager defending his players. Wouldn't think much of him if he said: "Fair enough. We've tried but Rooney is obviously not really up to the job"
    i wish he would say that. at least its honest.
  • There is a new 'who plays where' problem. Lampard has gone and in the first two games Gerrard ruled the England midfield roost. Rooney's return brought about a conflict of interest. Rooney nowadays is best in the 10 role, playing behind a main striker, the Bobby Charlton role, and, yes, I know BC wore number 9. Gerrard is also best in this role. Rooney was played up front, a role which nowadays does not suit him nor one that he likes. Unfortunately the England squad, like the Dutch and the French has a few prima donnas. Italy have done well because Pirlo runs the midfield, likewsie the Germans and Spanish all have clearly defined roles. that is Uncle Roy's main task, define who does what and if that means leaving out a 'name' or two, so be it. Good luck to him, he's started tolerably well.
  • edited June 2012
    "Who plays where" problem:

Like - Rooney plays in Man U, not in the England team.

Ashley Cole plays away from home, but not in the England team.

Milner, well, please can he play somewhere else?

Ashley Cole and Ashley Young bump into Wayne in Los Angeles this week. Why are the two Ashleys on holiday in Los Angeles together? I hope they are not filming a Pizza commercial!
  • edited June 2012

Wayne might have looked unfit in the Euros but which one of these two flabby blokes is supposed to be a world class footballer?

• both girls have got the same bikini on...have a word...
  • The front players were not getting much support to be fair to Rooney.

Ashley Cole and Ashley Young bump into Wayne in Los Angeles this week. Why are the two Ashleys on holiday in Los Angeles together? I hope they are not filming a Pizza commercial!
    Sorry all I noticed in this photo was the girl in the corner. Good lord!!!!