Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wind up or cause for concern?

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
Some milwall fans have been incredibly smug on Facebook the past couple of days, seem to think our backers have pulled the plug, Wise is going to be stepping in and we need to sell our ground pronto. As no-one has mentioned it on here, I believe its utter bull, someone has seen the Lansdowne Mews and Peter Varney developments and have, in typical Millwall intelligence, put 2 and 2 together to make 47. Has anyone else heard of these rumours or have any kind of information? Like I said, probably a poor WUM attempt but you never know.....

Comments

• Time will tell. There is certainly no hint of money being spent on team strengthening. Real estate in SE and E London will be worth even more of a small fortune post olympics. Sexy sarf east London, Charlton is chic.
  • Why would our backers pull the plug? We're on the UP !!
    That wouldn't be Denise Wise would it, that gobby little git?
  • Why would "some" Millwall fans know .......but no one else in the football world does?
  • Yes, makes massive sense to pull the plug when we've just been promoted and are within one good season of a 150 million quid payout from the Premiership.

Wankers.
  • No. They are full of sh*t as always.
  • Why would "some" Millwall fans know .......but no one else in the football world does?
    Because they have an "impeccable source".

Nandos hot sauce is good, but I wouldnt call it impeccable myself.
  • I must admit the lack of movement in the transfer market has concerned me.Though with the 2+2 = any number more than 4 could be the no transfers added to the Peter Varney situation with Lansdowne Mews and the fact they have been talking about moving to elsewhere in Greenwich,so any spanner with an imagination and a thirst for a conspiracy theory will have been well away!
  • I must admit the lack of movement in the transfer market has concerned me.Though with the 2+2 = any number more than 4 could be the no transfers added to the Peter Varney situation with Lansdowne Mews and the fact they have been talking about moving to elsewhere in Greenwich,so any spanner with an imagination and a thirst for a conspiracy theory will have been well away!
    Nobody has been active in the transfer market yet, everyone needs to see what happens post Euros before the whole market starts moving.

Even the FL clubs will have to wait to see who the big boys pick up before kicking the chain into gear.

• It's a wind up...ignore them.
    Nobody has been active in the transfer market yet, everyone needs to see what happens post Euros before the whole market starts moving.

Even the FL clubs will have to wait to see who the big boys pick up before kicking the chain into gear.

Plenty of teams have been active in the transfer market
  • Sponsored links:

• Hardly "plenty"
  • It would be odd to take over a team in a tough third division, see them getting promoted in the first full season smashing all kinds of club records and then walk away.

I suspect the fact that the source is rival fans and the medium is a social media site, say it all.
  • I'd say plenty of teams in our league have been active Barnsley palace weds pboro Hudds blackburn off the top of my head
  • I'd say plenty of teams in our league have been active Barnsley palace weds pboro Hudds blackburn off the top of my head
    Add Leeds, Wolves and Brighton

Plenty of teams have been active in the transfer market
    There has been some activity, that's true, but in "tournament" years you don't generally see all that much action until its over and players/agents finish at the tournament.
  • I'm absolutely certain that every team in this league has been active in the transfer market, including us. Somehow I just can't imagine any of them sitting around going "la la la la la, not playing this game until July". It just ain't like that.

We'll have been as busy as anyone else prioritising needs, working out alternatives and negotiating potential deals. Just because nothing's been finalised yet, doesn't mean that it isn't all coming together. Relax.
  • edited June 2012
    There is a conspiracy theory that the Spanners themselves are looking at relocating to the North Greenwich Stadium site and have had discussions with Greenwich council because Bermondsey is about to be gentrified . In Michael Calvin's book Family about the year the Spanners pipped us to the play offs he describes their owner John Berylson as being 'intriged' by MK Dons and surprised that clubs had not merged for finanicial reasons as in the States . Whereas I can't see a merger happening , unfortunately ground sharing could be on the agenda if this true .

I understand that this is one of the reasons that Charlton have engaged indiscussions ,I hadn't posted this on here before as it is speculation but this is what the blog Dr Kish said on Saturday :

G’day All. Just reading about Reg pulling the pin again from our club. One wonders why. Normally it because you feel you are not getting anywhere. It's sometimes a clash of opinions and personalities, if you love the club, and honestly feel that we may be or are, heading in a wrong direction, rather than fight the tide.

Sometimes you may feel that you are a voice in the wilderness and you get tired of it all. Sometimes you may think you are not appreciated and you pull the pin.

Now the club has filled the vacancy with Martin Prothero, the Gentleman that was high up in the Umbro Sports Company that have now been taken over by Nike. We have just recently switched our club strip to Nike so we could say that is forward thinking.

Were we lucky that Rag decided to give the job he likes up? Martin was, luckily for us, available? Could it be something to do with other matters than are going on at the top table? Wonder if the discussions with Greenwich Council that may have happened in late May, regarding the New Stadium they wish to build are perhaps linked to this?

The discussions also included Millwall, and why not, they are just talking at the moment. Millwall's ground is where there is to be a major development and upgrade.

Charlton, if they moved to the new ground, should it eventuate would then have perhaps only a third of the running cost with the Council and the Lions each having a third of the cost.

No, we will not own it but maybe it is a means to an end for all board members and a chance for the former owners to get their investment back.

Millwall have an overseas owner and a successful business man. We have a new owner and two front persons. The third, we think, could also be a successful business man. Could all the owners from both factions decide to go to the new stadium as long as their own grounds could be redeveloped? Be too good an opportunity turn down.

Our owners like football but Charlton is not their favourite club, but do operate in a sport where they have a bit of an idea on how to make a few quid. Supposing they are promoted to the Premiership within the next couple of seasons, inside the five year plan we heard about, it would have made it all worthwhile.

We know many do not want to leave The Valley and a lot more do not want to share a ground with Millwall or anyone else but sorry, it is not our call anymore now than it was when our shares went to help Muzza save our club.

Do not worry the NEW Nike stadium is not yet built but do you think the council would build a ground and not have anyone going there to play? Back to where we started from, this ground situation and progress could be what made Reg jump.

There were people that used to watch a local Woolwich team they were called the Arsenal play but because of the strong rugby union code in our area decided to go to Highbury in North London. Not sure how it went, not too good as they now play in the Emirates. It still has a French influence, hope they eventually find a permanent home. They still get a few fans go to watch them , so that is okay

As usual, if you believe anything I write you deserve all you get! As usual, it does fill in a bit of time. I might write about a Princess Daisy conspiracy theory sometime. In the mean time why did Reg leave?
  • Of course it's a wind up - we haven't bought any in yet maybe - but we haven't sold any of our key players either!!!
    Add Leeds, Wolves and Brighton
    and leicester.

so so far we've counted 10

• Whilst I don't believe a word a Spanner says the rumours coming out of the club don't sound too good.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wasn't worried until I read Richard J's contribution!
  • Whilst I don't believe a word a Spanner says the rumours coming out of the club don't sound too good.
    What are the rumours?

What rumours are coming out of the club ?
  • Here we go again.

Peter Varney leaves the club (not for the first time) and already it is because we are leaving The Valley and moving in with Millwall. I think some people's imaginations have gone for an almighty wander again.
  • Come on Plaaayer, you cant leave us hanging like that
  • I don't think some people are (allegedly) on the same wavelength when it comes to potential targets in the club is what he's getting at. He's such a tease.
  • The only thing Smallwall know f**k all about is the price of bling,how many times they have been "victims" of media bias,how far a spanner can be thrown, where they can get a pink shirt from, and how many times they can get the word mugs in a convo.

f**K them and everyone of their "fans".
  • Here we go again.

Peter Varney leaves the club (not for the first time) and already it is because we are leaving The Valley and moving in with Millwall. I think some people's imaginations have gone for an almighty wander again.
    Bang on.

The more I think about it then the less sense it makes, the only exit strategy for the current owners is to sell the club to someone else, this is just BS stirred up by people putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 76.
  • Bermondsey about to be gentrified? Has been for years now.

Moving to Greenwich wouldn't help us, we'd be better moving to the suburbs or North Kent if we had to.
  • Apologies but I can't say anymore, but as I say it's just rumours!