Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Development at Sparrows Lane Training Ground.

Some time ago the club put forward proposals to develop Sparrows Lane Training Ground and utilise the entrance from Footscray Road thus alleviating the traffic accessing the ground via Sparrows Lane. I remember seeing the proposals at New Eltham library.

Does anybody know what became of this, or was it shelved?

Comments

• They were shifting a load of stuff around, the community side is based up there as well I think so they were redeveloping that.

The first time I went to the training ground, Powell was keen to redo the clubhouse and incorporate a gym into it to get everyone to hang around there rather than going off by themselves to Sidcup etc. Not sure what happened with that.
  • My son starts training with the under 8s next wed I can let you know then?
  • As I recall, the plan was to use a kind of one-way system: In via Sparrows Lane & Out via Footscray Rd
  • Yes something like that. I understood only the players etc., would use Sparrows Lane, parents and kids via Footscray Road.
    Just wondered what happened to it. I suspect it coincided with our fall from grace and was a financial decision.
  • What road links Footscray to Sparrows Lane? Would they go through Footscray Rugby club & head in that way? Or stick a road right over Millwall's old training ground which would enter near the clubhouse I guess? Would make sense anyway as Sparrows Lane is double parking and a bit of a nightmare at weekends especially.
  • At the very top of the training ground there is a track/unmade road which links to the roundabout at the end of Southend Crescent. I think there's a gate over it now, so that may be that's one of the reasons it wasn't developed. I seem to remember that Chris Parkes did a presentation in NE library, and it was planned to develop that track/road for traffic for those on school holiday/training days etc. relieving traffic in Sparrows lane. (Could do with some speed humps in Sparrows Lane).

• What road links Footscray to Sparrows Lane? Would they go through Footscray Rugby club & head in that way? Or stick a road right over Millwall's old training ground which would enter near the clubhouse I guess? Would make sense anyway as Sparrows Lane is double parking and a bit of a nightmare at weekends especially.
    There is a lane that runs from Footscray Road past the second field used by LESSA or EDF that goes to the old Charlton Park Rugby club which is now owned by CAFC and access to the main part of the training ground at Sparrows Lane can be gained via this.

• Ah right, seen that you've got all that land now as it was all fenced off & pissed off the locals who walked their dogs.
  • edited June 2012
    Hmmm, yes that's it. It all seemed to disappear into the ether, hence my original question.
    Perhaps like the mysterons we'll never know the answer.

SLL you anywhere near the cannabis factory in Sparrows Lane?
  • edited April 2014
    Charlton’s application for planning permission relating to the construction of a new training ground complex at Sparrows Lane has been deferred by the Royal Borough of Greenwich
    Iain Liddle reports

Charlton’s application for planning permission relating to the construction of a new training ground complex at Sparrows Lane has been deferred by the Royal Borough of Greenwich.

The proposals were put before the full planning committee on Wednesday evening and it was agreed that a decision would be put on hold to allow a further consultation with the Greater London Authority (GLA).

Mayor of London Boris Johnson will have the final sign-off on the project and it is expected he will look over the plans within the coming month.

The Sparrows Lane development is a joint venture between the club and Charlton's Community Trust and also involves other local partners.

The aim is to create an integrated sports and education facility catering for first team, academy, Trust and local football clubs such as the Junior Reds - which both the club and Trust have a long-standing relationship with.

Plans for an extensive upgrade to the facility were in development during 2013 but remained on hold until a capital funding stream could be accessed via the new Premier League / FA Facilities Fund, which was announced recently.

Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet has previously indicated he would like the project to progress as quickly as possible and he, along with club and Trust officials, recently met with representatives of the FA, Premier League and Football Foundation to discuss the development.

The pictures in this story are copyright of Rees Pryer Architects LLP and should not be used elsewhere without written permission.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140411-training-ground-application-deferred-1482680.aspx#UmgHTdzmoalHbq5k.99
  • Sponsored links:

• Worth drafting an open letter to Boris from the fans?
  • SLL NIMBY?
  • can Airman or anyone else who knows about planning applications please explain to us mere mortals what are the Machiavellian aspects of this move by RBG
  • pretty sure this is standard, just needs the green light from the mayor and can go ahead now i think.
  • pretty sure this is standard, just needs the green light from the mayor and can go ahead now i think.

that's the way I see it ...would be very surprised if Boris didn't sign off on this
  • Unless he's Palace. Not dissimilar to the sort you find down at Selhurst.
  • Boris tends to just say YES

He did with a couple of housing developments we are working on last week anyway
  • It's fairly unusual for Greenwich's planning board not to approve major projects. The council leader is a member (don't know if he was sitting at this meeting though) as are other senior members of the administration. The decision will probably be made at the next meeting of the Planning Board which isn't until the end of June, with the council elections causing a longer gap than usual between meetings.

Deferring for a site visit could of course be a way of putting off an unpopular decision until after the election. But as there are only two residential objections it's hard to see what the point is.

Anyway Chris Roberts has said he's not standing as a councillor so all anyone involved with Greenwich politics is interested in is who will be leader of Greenwich after May's elections.
  • I got no hope for the Greenwich Council after what happend during the 80's. I can never forgive them after that and I have no doubt they will say no because they are a bunch of t**ts.
  • It's fairly unusual for Greenwich's planning board not to approve major projects. The council leader is a member (don't know if he was sitting at this meeting though) as are other senior members of the administration. The decision will probably be made at the next meeting of the Planning Board which isn't until the end of June, with the council elections causing a longer gap than usual between meetings.

Deferring for a site visit could of course be a way of putting off an unpopular decision until after the election. But as there are only two residential objections it's hard to see what the point is.

Anyway Chris Roberts has said he's not standing as a councillor so all anyone involved with Greenwich politics is interested in is who will be leader of Greenwich after May's elections.

Brentford - even given the long history of this scheme and extensive pre-planning advice, I am bemused that a fairly major application registered on February 24th could get to committee on April 9th - a meeting for which the agenda had to be published on April 1st. That's based on seven years experience on council planning committees. I am not suggesting anything bad, in fact it looks as if it was pushed forward to me.

I don't know too much about the mayor's planning powers. Presumably the issue here is that it's a departure from the local plan. I would expect the scheme to be approved.
  • Sponsored links:

• In a seat that Labour lose on regular basis in the last 25 years, so best to drop it on City Hall
  • Rothko said:

In a seat that Labour lose on regular basis in the last 25 years, so best to drop it on City Hall

Not up to speed with Greenwich boundaries, but assume Labour's not going to win in New Eltham either way and whatever happens they won't lose control, so not convinced. If that was the issue presumably they'd just have processed it on a "normal" timetable and taken it to committee after the election, albeit that would be outside the 12-week period. It's not really in the club's interest to appeal for non-determination.
  • Spoke to the planning officer , he approved and supported the application. I understand there will be a site visit, by the said officers and councillors. The application is made in a joint application of CAFC and the community trust, and the statement of support talks about a shared facility for local chartered football clubs, and the junior reds team, and the local community. Three 3G pitches which will be greatly appreciated by local clubs, who during the past three months have had a torrid time of getting games on, due to the poor weather. I have to declare an interest, as I am involved with a couple of the local clubs, so I am bound to be supportive. I would also think that the excellent reputation of the community trust will have a 'persuasive' factor as well. Wish the application well.
  • Revised plans for a reduced height building go before the Greenwich planning committee today if this is correct

https://planning.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=dates&keyVal=_GRNW_DCAPR_99953
  • Run out of money already!!
  • edited December 2019
    What could possibly go wrong?

AND...  where's the fucking trench on that plan?
  • Welsh rarebit is on the menu.
  • Nothing to see here. The redevelopment work is all still on time and going to schedule.
  • Off_it said:
    Nothing to see here. The redevelopment work is all still on time and going to schedule.
    Thank goodness the whole project is being run by such a competent and experienced Contract Manager from Charlton.