Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Band of brothers

Just having a re run of the series has there ever been anything that has bought it home so much. Respect to them all

Comments

• Well said Bourne,amazing series and really does make you think what they all went through for all our futures.
  • You should read the book too if you get the chance, love the series and book to bits
  • Dont even know how many times I've watched my Band of Brothers box set, unbelievably good program.
  • The Pacific is quality as well if you haven't seen it. Different to Band of Brothers but a great series all the same.
  • Just pulled out the box set again. Awesome.
  • Brilliant,

Watched it many times.
  • Got the box set, great series
  • Got it on dvd. One of the great series.
  • It's the best box set I have. Best series of television I have ever seen.
  • Agree with all the above comments, may even give it an airing today if this Devon sun stays away
  • Sponsored links:

• Watch Generation Kill, its an HBO mini series about soldiers in war in Iraq. Amazing
  • The Pacific is quality as well if you haven't seen it. Different to Band of Brothers but a great series all the same.
    After being blown away by band of brothers, I was so excited for the pacific and it totally and utterly underwhelmed me. It's like they took band of brothers and took away everything that made it so brilliant and set it in the pacific theatre. Really didn't feel any affinity to any of the characters like I did in BoB
  • I think they took a bit more time with the characters in bob they dived straight into the war in the pacific and it never really got that feel
    After being blown away by band of brothers, I was so excited for the pacific and it totally and utterly underwhelmed me. It's like they took band of brothers and took away everything that made it so brilliant and set it in the pacific theatre. Really didn't feel any affinity to any of the characters like I did in BoB
    I agree.
  • Great series but the only problem is that they are yanks. Crap army and bet most of the accounts are made up which is typical of the Americans to make them look good. Would love to see a British version, the true heros of WW2.
  • Great series but the only problem is that they are yanks. Crap army and bet most of the accounts are made up which is typical of the Americans to make them look good. Would love to see a British version, the true heros of WW2.
    there are, I believe, only small inaccuracies in the way it was done, its based on a book written from interviews with the members of Easy Company. Obviously some things were added for dramatic effect, but for the most part I'd be willing to believe that most of the series is quite true to what happened.

In terms of a british army version ever being made, I really doubt, unless the american domestic market suddenly develops a huge interest in british made films/series, there will ever be a series about the British soldiers in ww2 on the same scale as BoB.
  • In terms of a british army version ever being made, I really doubt, unless the american domestic market suddenly develops a huge interest in british made films/series, there will ever be a series about the British soldiers in ww2 on the same scale as BoB.
    Low-budget version? Pair of brothers?
    there are, I believe, only small inaccuracies in the way it was done, its based on a book written from interviews with the members of Easy Company. Obviously some things were added for dramatic effect, but for the most part I'd be willing to believe that most of the series is quite true to what happened.

In terms of a british army version ever being made, I really doubt, unless the american domestic market suddenly develops a huge interest in british made films/series, there will ever be a series about the British soldiers in ww2 on the same scale as BoB.
    There were a lot of inaccuracies as it was based fundamentaly on the account of one member. A British version wouldnt need fiction to make them look good so no chance of this ever happening. Maybe for the best i suppose.
    There's gratitude for you.....your lack of respect is truly shocking and appears to consist of simple knee-jerk prejudice.

Whatever you may think, without the bravery, heroism and sacrifice of our American allies during the war it is highly likely that we would be conducting this 'debate' in German (an old chestnut, but a true one IMHO). Look for some of the accounts by our troops of what the yanks were like in battle and I think that you'll find that unlike the Hollywood tendency to over exaggerate accounts to almost ridiculous levels, this series is based on factual accounts of one particular company in the American army (others on here know far more about this than I do, and I'm sure they will be able to correct me if wrong).

As for the series, like many on here I have the box set and I think it is a brilliant piece of work.

There were a lot of inaccuracies as it was based fundamentaly on the account of one member
    No it isn't. Read what I said again, it was based on the accounts of all of the surviving members of the company. I'd like to think everyone who fought on the side of good in that war are heroes and deserve all the praise and hollywood glamour they get.
  • Sponsored links:

There were a lot of inaccuracies as it was based fundamentaly on the account of one member
    No it isn't. Read what I said again, it was based on the accounts of all of the surviving members of the company. I'd like to think everyone who fought on the side of good in that war are heroes and deserve all the praise and hollywood glamour they get.
    There is no glamour in war my friend. Its the veterens who dont talk about what they saw who know the real truth.
  • So bill guarneare who lost both his legs don't know the real truth?

• In terms of a british army version ever being made, I really doubt, unless the american domestic market suddenly develops a huge interest in british made films/series, there will ever be a series about the British soldiers in ww2 on the same scale as BoB.
    Low-budget version? Pair of brothers?
    There was also a french version that paul McCartney wrote the soundtrack for. I believe it was called Band on the run..................
    Utterly ridiculous.
    I stopped watching it after 3 episodes and read the book instead, gave me a much better understanding of the war in the pacific as well as the charachters, I then watched it from episode again and loved it to bits. People shouldn't go watching it expecting it to be Band Of Brothers 2, different charachters, different enemies and a different geography.

• After being blown away by band of brothers, I was so excited for the pacific and it totally and utterly underwhelmed me. It's like they took band of brothers and took away everything that made it so brilliant and set it in the pacific theatre. Really didn't feel any affinity to any of the characters like I did in BoB
    Well said, felt the same.

The production values were great, but it was so ponderous!
  • Band of brothers book was excellent as some have said. Really disliked the pacific - although i did give up after one episode as i thought it was so poor... maybe it got better
  • NorthumberlandAddick said:
    Great series but the only problem is that they are yanks. Crap army and bet most of the accounts are made up which is typical of the Americans to make them look good. Would love to see a British version, the true heros of WW2.

Can't say how much this pissed me off. Just go to Normandy and walk around the American war cemetery and you can see that a great number of those lying there never reached their 20th Birthday and the degrade their sacrifice like this is really disrespectful you should be ashamed of yourself.

band of Brothers was brilliant on so many levels but the way the they built the interest in the cast of characters was for me the main reason why it was outstanding. I also agree that The Pacific was not as good although the battle scenes were spectacular. But what it did highlight was the intensity and the horror of the Pacific campaign so there you go another failure from the "crap yank army"
  • There should be a British version, however I disagree we were the true heroes, every armies countries would feel the same.

We were united with many armies all true heroes fighting for the very same cause.
    So blinkered an opinion to be almost blind
    Great series but the only problem is that they are yanks. Crap army and bet most of the accounts are made up which is typical of the Americans to make them look good. Would love to see a British version, the true heros of WW2.
    There's gratitude for you.....your lack of respect is truly shocking and appears to consist of simple knee-jerk prejudice.

Whatever you may think, without the bravery, heroism and sacrifice of our American allies during the war it is highly likely that we would be conducting this 'debate' in German (an old chestnut, but a true one IMHO). Look for some of the accounts by our troops of what the yanks were like in battle and I think that you'll find that unlike the Hollywood tendency to over exaggerate accounts to almost ridiculous levels, this series is based on factual accounts of one particular company in the American army (others on here know far more about this than I do, and I'm sure they will be able to correct me if wrong).

As for the series, like many on here I have the box set and I think it is a brilliant piece of work.
    To to a point, however I've been studying WW2 history and particularly the events from D-Day to Berlin for over 10 years, and have my own military shop, this inevitably leads me into contact with vets of all countries, having spoken to many British vest, general consensus is although they didnt particularly like the yanks (over paid, over sexed and over here) they had respect for them as brave soldiers. Also the question is irrelevant whether we would have won the war with or without the Yanks because without the Russians on the Eastern front we could not have won the war (with or without the Yanks). When Hitler attacked Russia in 1942 he effectively started losing the war.
    As someone said go to Normandy if you can around the 6th June, spend 5-6 days, visit the cemetery's and look at the ages of all the young men form all the allied and axis countries.
    As an aside I would love to see a British version of BoB centering on the 6th Airbourne the first troops to land on D-Day, at what is now known as Pegasus Bridge onto Arnhem and Berlin. Ambrose, who wrote the BoB books wrote about them in a book called Pegasus Bridge. You would not believe what these guys did.
    Also re The Pacific, watch the series and read the book as an accompaniment.