Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke McCormick to join Swindon

13»

Comments

• I think with the technology on offer now your car shouldn't start until you blow into something and your clear of alcohol .

Zero tolerance
  • I think with the technology on offer now your car shouldn't start until you blow into something and your clear of alcohol .

Zero tolerance
    Theoretically nice, but would cost a fortune to provide and the car manufacturers would never do it.

I think that they DO install these devices in the US for convicted drunk drivers, in some states at least.
  • Nothing I Spose

Flawed idea
  • And, while alcohol was a major factor in the crash, it wasn't the only factor

1) He drove like a dickhead. Some people are quite capable of doing this while sober, usually young men...
    2) He fell asleep at the wheel due to lack of sleep. This terrible train crash, where 10 people died was directly caused by a sober driver falling asleep
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Heck_Rail_Crash

• I'd be more impressed if he said that he was only going to take an average wage from football from now on and that the rest will be going to charity or to a charity to educate people to drive more responsibly. What is don't like is the fact that he will earn maybe 3k pw week and just get on with his life, after shattering so many other people's lives with his actions. If he is truely sorry and remorseful he'd do everything in his power to attone for that.
  • edited May 2012
    What wage should we allow people to have then ....

What about the high earners in the city that have prolly made the same costly mistake

I mean basically you're saying if he was a shitty footballer who didint earn much you could accept that but cos he earns a bit he shouldn't be allowed to

Obviously he is lucky he is privileged but an iditot is an idiot with a fiver in his pocket or 5 million in his pocket

*bad language edited*
  • He made a terrible mistake for which he got punished, and he will live with it for the rest of his life.
    People leave prison and get jobs again, if he got a job as a toilet cleaner would we criticise his employers for having no morals?
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that while I think the sentence he got was inappropriate, I support his right to have a career once this sentence has been served. Some will argue he has not served it as he only has completed three and a half years - but that is how our justice system works. Like or not that is the system we have. Once the justice system has released him he is entitled to use his skills and abilities to make a living. His crime was not related to his career, where a ban could be made, like a teacher accused of abusing a child.
    McCormick is not responsible for his length of sentence or release date (except his assumed good behaviour and attitude inside would hasten that, I have to admit)

As someone who has served time, I can tell you, other than rebuilding family life and trust with loved ones, finding work is THE hardest thing to do. Would we rather him be another burden on the benefits system, disappearing into depression, drugs or drink, which will affect his innocent family and loved ones?

Let him earn his living, but I hope to god he sees that he has an obligation to the tragic family he affected, with the good money he is capable of earning, maybe a trust fund or continued financial contributions to the disabled fathers future comfort and needs.
    If not wanted ny the family, which would be understandable, then IMO he should still make contributions for the rest of his life to either a childrens charity or to one of the many that the father probably now depends on. Not only that, he should also give some of his time to volunteer in good causes to show that he is remorseful and humble, it wont bring those kids back or heal the father, but I cant see what else he can do.

How many of us on here can genuinely say that we have never driven knowing we are slightly over or at least unaware that we are, there but for the grace of god go you and I.

• exactly DA9 spot on ,
  • Speaking from MY point of view:

I, probably, over the years, may have been over the limit in the morning, but, honestly, for the last 20 years I know that I haven't. I like the "after work/early evening" drink, unless I've got a 3/4am start. When working in Pubs I will only drink "softdrinks" and won't even have a half of lager. If I lost my license I couldn't work. Simple as that.
    Everyone is different, but, all those who know me know I'm a worrier: Why make more stress when there is enough already ?
  • I suppose there are 2 issues. Firstly, and most importantly, his sentance was clearly too short. Secondly, I accept if he has served his time he is entitled to work -but a footballer is a high profile profession and it is a conatant reminder to the family of his victims -for that reason clubs should steer clear, but one or two always show an interest. I hope Charlton always rise above that becuase I would have difficulty if a Hughes or McCormack was in the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• According to the BBC, McC has NOT been signed by Swindon, he is on trial (no pun intended) with a view to a possible signing and also to help in his rehabilitation.

I am sure that McC did not go out with the intention of killing, maiming or harming anyone. Alcohol can have disasterous affects on lives as I am sure we are all aware. It can make us feel euphoric and free from inhibition, that is why it is so popular and such an integral part of the social fabric of this country. The downside is that euphoria can lead to awful decision making which may take years to get over and may harm others. I am sure that McC is well aware of that now. He is still a young man and deserves another chance.
  • For those saying that you 'wouldn't attend' if someone like McCormick signed for Charlton. Sorry, but I don't believe you!
  • There are a lot of judgmental people on here. Like someone else has said "There go I but for the grace of God". I wish I was as perfect as some people. Please teach me.

• This was debated on a radio show today. The majority iirc, seemed to feel that he shouldn't be allowed to play again. At one point somebody mailed in saying that he'd been in prison with McC and that he is absolutely haunted by what happened, will never get over it and can't look people in the eye.

I think the sentence was laughably short but as has been said McC isn't responsibly for the sentencing. As has also been said, there but for the grace of God. I certainly don't drive if I've been drinking and haven't for some time but in the past I've been guilty of it and also of driving early in the morning after a heavy night. It gives me shivers to think about what may have happened. I do think that we should have a far stricter law regarding drinking and driving, basically a nil allowance, then it'd be much easier to say 'I can't drive because I've had a drink'. It won't stop everybody doing it, but there will be none of this 'Well, I've only had one/two pints, I'll be ok'.

As for McC, he has to live with what he's done. If he seriously has a conscience then he'll have a life sentence. I feel desperately sorry for the family. Whilst McC can pursue his former career, if Swindon do sign him, he's going to get some stick from opposing supporters and that may be enough for him to re-consider.

Whether it's right or wrong, the guy has served his sentence and he is allowed to pursue a career.

• He made a terrible mistake for which he got punished, and he will live with it for the rest of his life.
    People leave prison and get jobs again, if he got a job as a toilet cleaner would we criticise his employers for having no morals?
    He hasn't left prison yet though. Can't compare being a pro footballer to a toilet cleaner really.
    Sure you can a job is a job

If people who came out of prsion were not working people would moan they are paying there dole money from there hard earned taxes

He hasn't left prison yet though. Can't compare being a pro footballer to a toilet cleaner really.
    Sure you can a job is a job

If people who came out of prsion were not working people would moan they are paying there dole money from there hard earned taxes

being in the public eye is different though