Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke McCormick to join Swindon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18164015

Not sure how I'd feel if he was on his way to Charlton, not pleased I think. Don't know how their Chairman can go on about him giving something back. What's he giving back? He's got his career back the minute he leaves prison. I know he's served his time, but negotiating a return before he's even been released doesn't seem very sympathetic to the family who's lives he ruined.

Comments

• Yes agree with you Nug. However we all know that footballers are 'different'. The same will happen with Ched Evans I'm sure.
  • edited May 2012
    Could be wrong but think Lee Hughes and Marlon had deals lined up for when they were released.
  • Can't understand why Swindon would go down this route, they seem to be getting things right, and on the up, will bring a lot of negative attention. Also in the radio interview, the Chairman said they were approached around Christmas by his agent. Agents really are scumbags. He'll get some shocking stick, can't hide as a gk.
  • 3 and half years for killing two innocent children and ruining their parents lives forever is shameful.

He chose to drink and drive thinking he is billy big bollocks.
  • only served half his sentance too which at 7 years was a joke anyway. If you are drink driving and kill anyone then you should be charged with murder and get a life sentance. And Swindon have just won some family award as well. What a joke. I swear if he or Hughes or Evans were EVER to turn up as a Charlton player I'd stop going. Scumbags the lot of them.
  • He made a terrible mistake for which he got punished, and he will live with it for the rest of his life.
    People leave prison and get jobs again, if he got a job as a toilet cleaner would we criticise his employers for having no morals?
  • He made a terrible mistake for which he got punished, and he will live with it for the rest of his life.
    People leave prison and get jobs again, if he got a job as a toilet cleaner would we criticise his employers for having no morals?
    He hasn't left prison yet though. Can't compare being a pro footballer to a toilet cleaner really.
  • Fortunately it seems with Powell as manager and the owners we have, Charlton will never go down this route of signing ex cons.

Sentencing in this country is a joke, as is the fact so many are released having served only half their sentence. No doubt there'll be a thread such as this about Evans in about 2 and half years.
    3 and half years is no punishment for what he has done.

Sad situation is that most footballers need to be brought down a peg or two, they earn too much money and think they are dons! (Terry, Defoe etc)
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that while I think the sentence he got was inappropriate, I support his right to have a career once this sentence has been served. Some will argue he has not served it as he only has completed three and a half years - but that is how our justice system works. Like or not that is the system we have. Once the justice system has released him he is entitled to use his skills and abilities to make a living. His crime was not related to his career, where a ban could be made, like a teacher accused of abusing a child.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's the morals of football, unfortunately.

If he was a banker, a teacher, a civil servant or a doctor he'd not be wandering back into a job. But that's the way that it is, unfortunately.
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that while I think the sentence he got was inappropriate, I support his right to have a career once this sentence has been served. Some will argue he has not served it as he only has completed three and a half years - but that is how our justice system works. Like or not that is the system we have. Once the justice system has released him he is entitled to use his skills and abilities to make a living. His crime was not related to his career, where a ban could be made, like a teacher accused of abusing a child.
    Agree
  • He's served his time. We might think it's not enough, but his biggest punishment is what he has to live with for the rest of his life. And from the terraces, undoubtedly.

I don't believe people should be denied their trade when they leave prison, quite the opposite actually. That's not to say you'd employ a convicted thief to look after your money, but I don't see any reason why he shouldn't play football professionally again.
    This

I said it at the time and i will stand by it, He made a terrible decision and it has devasted a family , if it were me i would kill him the minute he stepped outside of the prison,

but think of it this way

Your Child is not the one who is killed but is the person who made the worst decision of his life, would you desert him, would you believe that he needs to be punished forever,

would you hate him, would you do all the things that your morale high ground is stating

All i will say is there for the Grace of god go you and your own, think about the decisions you have made in your life and if you can put your hand on heart and say that you have made the right one in every aspect of your life, and you cant look back and think shit i got away with that one thank god

then hats off you are a saint

i have drove the morning after a heavy heavy night over the limit you bet your arse i was , did no one die , yep no one died , did it make me right and justify the decision, no it didnt

• What he did was unforgivable and 7 years does not seem fair punishment but it is what he has been given and served. He should now be free to work like any other Tom, Dick or Harry that is let out from prison.
  • what NLA said
    This

I said it at the time and i will stand by it, He made a terrible decision and it has devasted a family , if it were me i would kill him the minute he stepped outside of the prison,

but think of it this way

Your Child is not the one who is killed but is the person who made the worst decision of his life, would you desert him, would you believe that he needs to be punished forever,

would you hate him, would you do all the things that your morale high ground is stating

All i will say is there for the Grace of god go you and your own, think about the decisions you have made in your life and if you can put your hand on heart and say that you have made the right one in every aspect of your life, and you cant look back and think shit i got away with that one thank god

then hats off you are a saint

i have drove the morning after a heavy heavy night over the limit you bet your arse i was , did no one die , yep no one died , did it make me right and justify the decision, no it didnt

Don't disagree with that, of course his family won't desert him, of course he has the right to work after serving his time. What surprises me is touting yourself to clubs 6 months before your release, announcing your going to Swindon a month before your release, seems crass by himself and his agent to say the least and poor judgment by Swindon.
  • i agree strange decision and poor judgment on his part and those advising him and the club totally,

but there will be outrage at the whole thing, he will get nailed for what he has done as a keeper he will be easy game

i just think that sometimes we need to take a step back before some fire off about the scum that they feel he is

• leaving aside the question of sentence, I agree that he has served his time and as such should not be barred from resuming his career.
  • Think it's disgraceful giving him a career back
  • Sponsored links:

• Difficult one this, if it was my kids he had killed, then, well I am sure you can guess.

But he only did 3 1/2 years. Which to me is way too low, but how often do we hear that.
    That said I think that the fact he has to live everyday with what he has done will haunt him forever, more so when he has his own kids. I dont know if he has any kids.

Is he entitled to have his career back and earn a living? Yes he is, I think what annoys one and all is that he is in a profession that as football fans we would give (almost) anything for.

I think we will see how rehabilitated and remorseful he is in the coming years/months. If he behaves like that twat Lee Hughes and gets into more trouble then he should be condemned by one and all, however reading between the lines I don't think he is like Hughes in any way shape or form, except for the crime he committed.
    genuine question why ?
    Surely better for us (the taxpayers) that he is in work rather than signing on being a drain to the nation

eh ?

Let us pay thousands of pounds a year to support him and his family then, as you have deemed him not allowed to have a career.

genuine question why ?
    My opinion is that he plays in front of fans, some of them kids, both he and the football clubs need to set examples.

genuine question why ?
    My opinion is that he plays in front of fans, some of them kids, both he and the football clubs need to set examples.

Although no legal reason for this to happen, only moral. I wonder though that if it is an example that needs to be set to children then, what about the example of forgiveness, to adhere to legal procedures or the possibility of rehabilitation and integration.

Also we do not know that he and Swindon, if he does sign on, will not use his role in terms of supporting and promoting education of young people.

I realise this might seem like I am in favour of him but let me clear I find his crime abhorrent.
  • What he did was unforgivable and 7 years does not seem fair punishment but it is what he has been given and served. He should now be free to work like any other Tom, Dick or Harry that is let out from prison.
    This.
  • Just playing devil's advocate here, but McCormick's situation was a bit different to that of Lee Hughes. He didn't go out get smashed and then decide to drive home. It was the morning after but still had over the legal limit in his system. Something some of us may have done without even knowing it. Not saying it's right, just I don't think it's fair to tar him with the same brush as someone like Lee Hughes.
    Having said that, it is a terrible, terrible thing to have happened and I can fully understand the family of the deceased being aggrieved that he might be back playing professional football again.
  • Just playing devil's advocate here, but McCormick's situation was a bit different to that of Lee Hughes. He didn't go out get smashed and then decide to drive home. It was the morning after but still had over the legal limit in his system. Something some of us may have done without even knowing it. Not saying it's right, just I don't think it's fair to tar him with the same brush as someone like Lee Hughes.
    Having said that, it is a terrible, terrible thing to have happened and I can fully understand the family of the deceased being aggrieved that he might be back playing professional football again.
    Sorry Olly but he collided with the car at 5.45am, if i was out drinking the night before i wouldnt be driving at that time in the morning!
  • He'd had 2 hours sleep and smashed into the other car whilst doing 90mph