Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crayford Kestrels

Anyone used to go to Crayford speedway back in the 80's?

i used to go every week. Names included Barry Thomas, Laurie Etheridge, Mick Pither, Mark Bosley amongst others. Also remember visitors including Dave Jessop etc... I used to collect all the discarded perspex from the riders helmets (no rude comments please).

I remember, sadly, buying a cassette recording of the meeting between Crayford and Rye House. All you heard was the noise of the bikes on both sides of the tape. Great listening!

Comments

• Not Crayford, but used to watch Thomas and Etheridge at Hackney in 70's - great craic.
  • yes did go a good few times

2/4/6/8 waiting at the starting gate----------------almost ceap enough to be one of our songs.
  • I was a regular and also watched the Crayford Highwaymen late sixties early seventies. Also went to stock car and banger racing at the stadium, spme graet entertainment down their growing up. Still ocasionally go to Lakeside Hammers and Eastbourne speedway.
  • I was a regular and also watched the Crayford Highwaymen late sixties early seventies. Also went to stock car and banger racing at the stadium, spme great entertainment down their growing up. Still ocasionally go to Lakeside Hammers and Eastbourne speedway.
  • Sorry about the mess above, got myself in a right mucking fuddle. Too many poets Estrella's this afternoon.
  • RobRob
    edited May 2012
    When I was at school I used to work on the turnstiles at Crayford stadium back in the very late 60s. :-) Seem to remember I lasted about 2 weeks.
  • edited May 2012
    "I remember, sadly, buying a cassette recording of the meeting between Crayford and Rye House. All you heard was the noise of the bikes on both sides of the tape. Great listening! "

That's a classic !
    I'll try & get you an audio of the UK Golf Open when it's on or perhaps Wimbledon ?