Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ban This Barbaric Sport

With Respect.

On Sunday, another amatuer jogger lost their life during the cruel race we know as The London Marathon. This is the eleventh participant who has died during this race since it's inception.

During the Marathon, 4,923 runners and members of the public needed assistance. In 2011, 6,000 needed help - many for heat exhaustion linked to the hot weather on the race day.

This is an unacceptable situation in 2012 and we should do all we can to prevent it happening again - it is inhumane to allow death and severe injuries to happen for the sake of 'fun' and 'charitable donations'.

I don't believe the race should be banned, but I propose that at the very least, the authorities should make some changes.

Firstly, the marathon is obviously too long and too dangerous for the competitors - it should be reduced in length by a minimum of 10 miles.

Secondly, it appears to get faster and faster every year. We need to slow it down by introducing chichanes, hurdles and those sticks that dogs go in and out of at Crufts.

Finally, despite the rain, the going was not soft enough. The whole course should have been watered and under a minimum of 150mm of water. I know that some people will say that it is an unfair advantage to those running in deep sea divers costumes of indeed those with flippers, snorkels and masks, but if that is the price we need to pay to make this race safer then so be it.

Comments

• Options
    Cruel

I hate it when the runners get whipped.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    How many horses have died in the grand national in the last 30 years?

Apparently its 30 in the last 50 years.
  • Options
    Tasteless
  • Options
    The argument would obviously be that they get a choice, the horses don't.
  • Options
    They could say neigh
  • Options
    I suspect you're spoofing the grand national. I keep trying to get my maiden aunt to enter, she's unfit, overweight, 86 and wealthy .. but she just won't have it !!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    They could say neigh
    Or trot on.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ok how many racing drivers have died in the last 30 years whilst competing , bike or car, should we ban everything because something goes wrong?

Or should we learn lessons and improve things?
  • Options
    It's their choice to run it..
  • Options
    With Respect

You are an idiot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ban it from being on telly..
  • Options
    Slighty insensitive considering the young lady only died yesterday
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!