Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Newcastle Brown Commercial.

When I left the U.K. in the 70s, this was a naughty word. Is it no longer? Not a word you hear over here, so I was surprised to see this on T.V.

Comments

• edited April 2012
  • The same word got an airing in the episode of the us tv series 'lie to me' the other night when the English guy intimates that the person he is talking to may not be telling him the truth and I thought at the time it was probably only left in because the yanks didn't actually realise what he had said...
  • The same word got an airing in the episode of the us tv series 'lie to me' the other night when the English guy intimates that the person he is talking to may not be telling him the truth and I thought at the time it was probably only left in because the yanks didn't actually realise what he had said...
    Bet you're right...

• not seen the ad in the uK - or is that just me?
  • No i remember saying the word bollocks once years back in the states and they asked what it meant. I darent ask my boss now if he knows what it means.

I worked for a female American years ago and she once yelled out from her office... "hey what does tosser mean?". The whole office cracked up as i tried to explain.
  • ....and as we all know from the Sex Pistols court case, "Bollocks" is actually an old (18th century?) name for a vicar.

So what that advert is actually saying is that there aren't any vicars in Newcastle ;o)
  • The ad looks photo-shopped to me, is it genuine?
  • Sponsored links:

• The ad looks photo-shopped to me, is it genuine?
    The ad is genuine, saw it on TV myself, a couple of times now.

• Is it just me that feels uneasy about this? I don't ask because I am prudish, I love a good swear up and for me "bollocks" is an absolutely magnificent word. I just feel that if they are to retain their power, there's got to be some limits on the use swearwords. I don't mean by ordinary people, I just don't want them corporatised into meaninglessness.
  • Is it just me that feels uneasy about this? I don't ask because I am prudish, I love a good swear up and for me "bollocks" is an absolutely magnificent word. I just feel that if they are to retain their power, there's got to be some limits on the use swearwords. I don't mean by ordinary people, I just don't want them corporatised into meaninglessness.
    I think in this case, some smart-ass advertising exec., here in the U.S., doesn't understand the meaning of the word, and if the T.V stations who are running the commercial understood the meaning, they'd pull the commercial immediately.
    My original question was because I wondered if the word had lost it's meaning in the U.K.

• Incidentally, the commercial just ran again during half-time in the Blackburn/Liverpool game.
  • I hate the way Stella are trying to convince people they're French and sophisticated. You're Belgian, stop lying!

As for bollox, its one of those borderline swear words I think. Almost like tits, crap and prick.
  • I hate the way Stella are trying to convince people they're French and sophisticated. You're Belgian, stop lying!

As for bollox, its one of those borderline swear words I think. Almost like tits, crap and prick.
    Bollocks always used to be a fairly full on swear word when I was growing up. Crap was never that bad - not as bad as shit - and prick was just never used because it was so lame. Tits was always fair game.

• I work in an American office (in America funnily enough) and being the only Brit I'm the go to person for all things profanity related.

They LOVE the word bollocks here......especially when I told them what the term "Billy Big Bollocks" meant, still cracks me up hearing some of the girls here saying "Yeah he's a Charlie big potatoes"!