Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Parker voted England player of the year

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Are people bitter about him? I don't know... Anyway, congrats to the man. Probably his best ever season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17189183

Comments

• Slightly bitter but mainly proud of him as an ex Addick where he learnt his trade.
  • nope, still think the guy is a pr1ck.
  • Said this a good few times, when he moved away from us it put is football career back 2 or 3 years. But he must have made a mint out of it. Was not happy about the way he left us, but then again I can not stop a young man following the best money that was on offer. Nor do I think should any of us.

And he is by far and wide the best Midfield player in the England setup. Proud he started out with us.
  • good for david bowie, but i still dont like the guy.
  • Back to the form he was at when he left us, shame his career spent 4-5 years going backwards.
  • Like most, I'm always pleased to see him suceed but I don't think I'll ever get over the manner in which he left until we are back in the Prem.
    This times 10.
  • Am pleased for him but will always be wondering what might have been for us. Still as long as he acknowledges a debt of gratitude to the club in his future interviews/memoirs, for helping him well on to the way to being the player he is now then I can let bygones be bygones.
  • The boy crossed me and more important my football club. Sod him !
    This times 10.
    oh believe me, thats the nicest thing i have said about him since he left charlton to count his money whilst collecting zero medals along the way.

• Sponsored links:

• He deserves the award. No credit can go to cafc. Many years since he left us. I don't see any fans taking any responsibility for all the failures that have gone elsewhere.
    Always will have a problem with the way he left us however if we look at how we pushed kinsella out of the club then its understandable. No loyalty in football from the owners or players.
  • No bitterness here. He moved on a long time ago.

Hope he gets made captain tomorrow rather than Stevie Me
  • Scott who ?
  • I was well P!ssed off with him when he left, gave him pelters when he played his first game back at the Valley. But got it out my system, grew up and he is one of my favourite players. A proper footballer.
    Good luck to the lad, if he plays, I think he will be immense for England at the Euros.
  • Congratulations to Scott, well deserved and I feel no bitterness towards him whatsover. He did what anyone in his position would have done.
  • Good luck to him, whatever he earned he paid for by stalling his career. I voted for Joe though.
  • Think hes in with a shout for Eng captain
  • A top player, yes it was wrong the way we left us, but he was brilliant for us and got us £11m.
  • Well done to Scott, no bitterness left from me, he did what most people would've and doubt it was just about the money but a move to the big time. It didn't pan out great but he would not have foreseen that.
  • Left us with no class but let's face it most any player would have given it was Chelsea. Ironically I think the move stymied his progression. Could have easily have anchored Man Utd for years. Only since his time at West Ham and now Spurs is his football getting the credit it deserves. Glad he won the gong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was gutted and heartbroken when he left. As an 11 year old at the time and still playing footie as a central midfielder I modelled myself on how he played, was by far my favourite player and was the kind of midfielder all engine room players should be.

I hated him for a while, because I knew what a quality player he was yet was stuck in reserve teams at Chelsea and then going to clubs the same size/same league positions as us at the time and I thought he blew it. Very happy that he's finally got back to where he was when he left us in terms of england set up and recognition. But we wouldn't be in league one right now if he had stayed even to the end of the season.
  • Its been time to move on for ages. that's football look how we outed kins. always greatfull to him for the way he played for ua. he provided some great memories and never let us down on the pitch.
  • edited February 2012
    Great advert for our youth system, Valley Gold and long may it continue.
  • Well done to Scott, no bitterness left from me, he did what most people would've and doubt it was just about the money but a move to the big time. It didn't pan out great but he would not have foreseen that.
    It was the timing of the move which angered me and many others. If only he'd stayed half a season more it could have made all the difference to us, and would have had a minor effect on his lifetime earnings.

He's a quality player and it's good to see him succeed, but don't forget it's been steadily downhill for us since he left....
  • I'll never know why we didn't try and keep him on loan for the rest of the season that he left us! It was obvious that he wasn't going to go straight into the Chelsea first team for some time. We had just beaten them 4-2 and he was the best player on the pitch by far! Will never forgive Chelsea for destroying our best ever season!
  • Us going down hill isn't all down to him leaving. wec got good money after all.
  • It was obvious that he wasn't going to go straight into the Chelsea first team for some time. We had just beaten them 4-2 and he was the best player on the pitch by far!
    !!!!

redlanered: yes the timing was bad for us, although we should still have done far better in the second half of the season than we did
  • I'll never know why we didn't try and keep him on loan for the rest of the season that he left us! It was obvious that he wasn't going to go straight into the Chelsea first team for some time. We had just beaten them 4-2 and he was the best player on the pitch by far! Will never forgive Chelsea for destroying our best ever season!
    because we were fourth having just turned them over! not saying they signed him JUST to fuck us but there was no way they were going to risk lending him back and us finishing fourth

• Us going down hill isn't all down to him leaving. wec got good money after all.
    This! And every team that is competing in the big league needs to be bigger than one player he could have stayed a few months longer got a career ending injury and we would have been a lot worse off anything could have happened we can't carry on with what ifs?!

Well done Scott I hope he does get made captain.
  • I've always thought it fishy. Ourselves and Fulham were seriously threatening to upset the "Sky 4" that year, and within 24 hours (I think), too late in the window for either club to do much with the money Parker had gone to Chelsea and Saha had gone to Man Utd, derailing both club's seasons.

I think Parker paid the ultimate price, Chelsea seriously set back his career and newcastle wasn't the greatest of moves. If he'd stayed with us until the summer he could have got a move to pretty much any top club he wanted, on the back of a great season (not just a great half season) and he might have been a regular in the england team many years earlier. At the end of the day the move failed, his career stalled and when he looks back it will be as a player who went to one, maybe 2 if he's really lucky, major finals with England, and has very few club honours to his name. That's a poor return for a player of his ability.

So we may still feel some bitterness, but karma is a bitch, and he's paid with his career to a certain extent.