Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Set Pieces

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Anyone else wonder why we defend set pieces with 11 men? We have no 'out ball' after a set piece and I think we're missing out a bit here with little opportunity to hit teams on the break. Could it be our lack of pace in the team makes SCP not even consider leaving someone up?

Comments

• I think we only tend to do this if we're leading, SCP just likes us to keep the 3 points and wants as many men back as we can so we don't conceed. Not sure if I've noticed it when we've been one nil down. Could be wrong though.
  • edited February 2012
    We seem to defend set pieces pretty well which probaly means we shouldn't change anything too much.
  • I think that speed is maybe the one thing lacking in the team at the moment, that's not to say it's slow per se, but other than Haynes and arguably Wagstaff if he plays there aren't many players who could list speed or acceleration as an attribute- even BWP is more about getting into position for a pass than haring onto a hopeful punt. The problem with leaving one player would therefore be he could get surrounded and hustled on his own, if you send another one or two up to help the oppo will start flooding the box.

CP knows what he's doing though, and is doing it very well!
  • CP is "son of Curbs"
  • edited February 2012
    In my playing days we always left one up front on the halfway line when defending a corner to occupy two of the oppositon however the modern thinking is clearly 'all hands to the pump' and when a team breaks out it does so on mass whilst trying to keep possession rather than hoofing it.
  • I would leave our two quickest players up, just inside our half and about ten yards in from each flank.
  • We seem to defend set pieces pretty well which probaly means we shouldn't change anything too much.
    This. Plus, having someone jogging on the halfway line, 40 yards from a team-mate, feels a bit old-fashioned. Instead you have someone like Green, ready to pitch in (e.g. closing down a short-corner) but also ready to break
  • CP is "son of Curbs"
    Used to drive me crackers when he did this but it's working for us at the moment so why not?

• Because we are top of the league and have one of the best defensive records in the country.
  • Because we are top of the league and have one of the best defensive records in the country.
    And you really think either of those would change if we only had 10 men back for set pieces - even when the opposition leaves 2 on the halfway line?

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
    I think it is about trusting the coaching as the results speak for themselves - If Chrissy wants them all back, well how can we argue given our record.
  • I think it is about trusting the coaching as the results speak for themselves - If Chrissy wants them all back, well how can we argue given our record.
    Yes, that's the traditional answer trotted out whenever anyone questions anything but the fact that we are top of the league does not mean that there is nothing that can be improved on.

• I must admit I've thought the same thing, Rizzo. It's been said before, but if BWP was on the half-way line, the oppo would have to keep two back, blunting their threat and there's always a chance the ball could be cleared towards him. For all his qualities I wouldn't have thought Bradley offers much in the way of a defensive threat for set-pieces. Kermongant, sure.
  • I like our current system. Most of the weaker teams know they'll struggle to beat us on the deck and lumping it doesn't work against our back four as Waaahdnesday found out. That means teams will try to make the most of their set-pieces and we have to be aware of that. It's L1, there's not a great deal of quality, but there's a lot of strong players who are good in the air. Particularly as we're not scoring loads at the moment I'm happy for us to do everything we can to block out the opposition's best chance of getting a goal. As long as we break quickly out of our half, which we do, we're fine. No point asking the players to adapt to a new system at this stage in the season
  • If it aint broke and all that...
    This.
  • Yes I think that is what is behind it - the biggest threat against us is set pieces as our defence is so strong, so it is an area we don't take risks on.
  • How many goals have we conceded from a set piece

There lies the reason why never agreed with it before this season but do now
  • I can't remember which player is was who said it (could have been Kinsella) but Curb's reasoning was that while leaving a player or two up means they have two or three players back there is then also more space in the area for the forwards to exploit. By packing the box it makes it harder for the other side to pick anyone and so score.
  • When defending corners we often leave Danny Green upfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• It changes from game to game. It will depend on the scouting report. As we always match up man for man on their best headers and may also have to cover a short corner routine, the front players and the wide midfielders may all have to work back. The posts and the near post area (front man), also need covering. Attention to detail!

Hamer's kicking to launch a quick counter-attack is excellent.
  • For years I've seen us show off some of the worst possible defending you can imagine. For that reason,I'm happy with the current setup.
  • edited February 2015
    Seems like this old habit has crept up again. If I'm not mistaken barring our 0-0 with Wolves we've conceded at least one goal from a set piece in our last eight league games!
  • And we can't even blame it on zonal marking anymore.

Sounds like we can't blame ANY marking at all!

• Conceded 2 from corners on Saturday. It's almost like giving away a penalty!

Really ?

Has anyone told the players ?