Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tutorial: How to send another member a message

edited February 2012 in Troubleshooting
It has become obvious that a lot of members haven't a clue how to send other members a private message, so hopefully this will help

How to send someone a private message than others can't publicly see

1. In the top right of your screen, click on 'Inbox'
2. In the Inbox screen, click on the button on the left hand side 'Start a new conversation'
3. In the Recipients box, start to type in the user name of who you want to send your message to.
4. Either type out the full name, or after a few letters a list of members with those letters will appear. click the one you want
5. You can send a message to multiple users, simply add a comma and a space after the first name and then start the second name.
6. Type your message in the text box below
7. Click Start Conversation.

If you want to add someone to an existing conversation, click on the message, and then the list of people in that conversation will appear down the left hand side. Underneath will be a box 'Add people to this conversation'.

How NOT to send a private message to someone

If you click on a users name, and write a message for that person in the text box provided, that is NOT sending them a private message, but posting a message on their Wall. By doing this, everyone else can see that message if they click on that persons name, or through the Activity button. The user you will be sending it to will also not receive any notification you have done this, so probably won't even notice you have left them a message.

Hope that helps
AFKA

Comments

• it certainly is interesting reading!

I only discovered it the other day and saw very old messages to me. TCE must think me very rude.
  • Well I've done that wrong then, haven't I?
  • edited February 2012
    Well I've done that wrong then, haven't I?
    Not nearly as bad as me though hawksmoor.......I haven't known whether to laugh or cry (believe you me I've done both this last week or so), what a chump!!

• ^^^^ Well, I've just discovered you can delete the more, ahem, sensitive messages that you haven't posted privately.
  • edited February 2012
    Well I think the damage has already been done.....but thanks for the 'heads up' on that.

I only discovered it the other day and saw very old messages to me. TCE must think me very rude.
    Quite the opposite, I know I'm well worth ignoring ; )

Who said that?

Ray, sorry I "ignored" a lot of your messages as I didn't realise they were there.
  • Comedy gold: Soundas ---> Chirpy

"Nothing to do with attention seeking or boasting at all and well you know it you plank.
    Chirpy you are the biggest attention seeker on the Charlton message boards bar none since the days of two_sheds."

hyah hyah hyah.....
  • Thought chirpy edged it personally
  • All it takes is an apology
  • Sponsored links:

Who said that?

Ray, sorry I "ignored" a lot of your messages as I didn't realise they were there.
    No worry's ; )

But I did inbox you last week when i saw them.

But I did inbox you last week when i saw them.

There's nothing there B, I've just checked.
    Not to worry.

• hahah read the tutorial
  • oh whoops... no full stops in between TCE. sorry TCE whoever you are, please dont stalk me now i've told you my new address.

this duplicate names thing is a pain in the arse.
  • Does this mean the end to loads of cliquey threads now?
  • Does this mean the end to loads of cliquey threads now?
    I hope so ThreadKiller.
    It may mean the end to all these very unfunny private jokes
    and silly remarks shared by a few rather than understood by many.
  • edited February 2012
    Thought chirpy edged it personally
    you might wanna take note of the original post sweet cheeks!
  • only you !
  • Just say sorry.
  • Sponsored links:

• No clique jokes please.
  • What have you done Afka, I haven't had whispers for ages, now it's going to start all over again.
  • Apologies to LincsAddick for not replying to his message in 2010.
  • edited February 2012
    Apologies to LincsAddick for not replying to his message in 2010.
    No problem, it's only 11.14 now lol
  • Comedy gold: Soundas ---> Chirpy

"Nothing to do with attention seeking or boasting at all and well you know it you plank.
    Chirpy you are the biggest attention seeker on the Charlton message boards bar none since the days of two_sheds."

hyah hyah hyah.....
    You may well laugh but believe me it is not nice being on the receiving end of rants like that......

• It has also been pointed out (thanks Better Red than Dead), that if you are using a PC, if you click on another Users Name, then on the left-hand panel there is an option to send that person a message.