Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: We're gonna party like its 1863.....(Woolwich & Plumstead remix)

Whilst i develop RSI from overuse of the Bold Button, Charlton Villager goes for a serious drink.....

Grab your top hat, and of course your cloak and cane, and come with me on a pub crawl around Woolwich and Plumstead of 1863. You may wish to bring some nosegay in your hanky to ward off the evil smells of the River Thames, or other pub dwellers body odour.

Some premises have the nice new gaslight but others still have old oil lamps or smelly candles. Rather than walking along the rat infested streets, strewn with muck, rubbish and other peoples excrement I thought we might ride in those nice Hackney carriages pulled by two fine black horses. As Dickens might have said “Let’s have a drink and get Oliver Twist” Perhaps by chance we may meet some pretty ladies in their long frilly dresses with adorable coloured petticoats. It will be a splendid evening, there will be plenty to discuss as we trip from inn to inn.

For example this new game of football and Notts County Football Club that was formed last year. Thank god they are beginning to sort out the rules of this silly football game. Talking of football. The top news in 1863 has to be Blackheath leaving the Football Association to take up another new sport called Rugby. Surely, that leaves the way open for another club to evolve in the same area maybe from the thousands of workers at the Woolwich Arsenal or all those factories along the Woolwich Road in Charlton. Who knows??

Of course, football and rugby will never catch on. Horse Racing and Cricket is and always will be the Englishman’s pastimes. Other things up for discussion could be Yorkshire CCC played its initial first-class match v. Surrey at the Oval on 4, 5 & 6 June. 1863. It was a rain-affected draw, evenly balanced or maybe we could talk about the formation of Hampshire and Middlesex Cricket Clubs this year.

What a horse that Macaroni is? It has to be voted the horse of the year 1863. It won the Derby, 2000 guineas and the Doncaster Cup. A true bred British stallion.
Other items of interest to be discussed maybe Edward Prince of Wales who could be King Edward the seventh when the good Queen Victoria dies married Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The Metropolitan Railway opened London's first underground line or President Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address as the American Civil War drags on and on.

Those Americans should have stayed as a colony of Great Britain and the Empire. Give them a little freedom and they start fighting each other. In years to come I suppose we will have to bail them out time and again. God knows what will happen if a big war or two comes along.

Raise your glasses and enjoy a drink of ale and nostalgia in your favourite watering hole.

(Many of the pubs mentioned below have long since disappeared because of economic changes. Some of the streets have also disappeared thanks to the Luftwaffe and “intelligent” council planning.)

A SURVEY OF PUBLIC HOUSES IN WOOLWICH AND PLUMSTEAD 1863

HIGH STREET WOOLWICH
MARQUIS OF GRANBY
ROYAL STANDARD
GEORGE AND DRAGON
DUKE ON HORSEBACK
PIER
CROWN AND CUSHION
CROWN AND ANCHOR
COOPERS ARMS
MITRE
SHIP AND HALF MOON
BELL
STEAM PACKET

HOG LANE
NILE

CHURCH STREET
CANTERBURY TAVERN
GOLDEN CROSS
ROEBUCK
SHIP AND PUNCH BOWL
BLACK EAGLE
GLOBE
SHEER HULK
CRITERION
GREYHOUND

GEORGE STREET
SHIP TAVERN
TRAFALGAR
ALBION
GENERAL HAVELOCK

TRINITY STREET
LORD HOWICK
UNITED SERVICES
DERBY ARMS

TRAFALGAR STREET

TRAVELLERS HOME

PROSPECT ROW

ROYAL ALBERT

SANTO STREET
CRICKETERS

PROSPECT PLACE
EXHIBITION

UNITY PLACE
EDINBURGH CASTLE

HENRY STREET
BRITANNIA
WHEATSHEAF
EMPRESS OF INDIA

QUEEN STREET

NAVY ARMS

WARWICK STREET
POWERFUL
EARL OF WARWICK

COLEMAN STREET
NELSON
DUKE OF EDINBURGH
KING STREET
PRINCE REGENT
GORGE THE FOURTH
RAILWAY TAVERN

ST MARY’S STREET
NORTH POLE
JACOBS WELL

CAMBRIDGE TERRACE
CAMBRIDGE HOTEL

FRANCES STREET
KINGS ARMS
NAVY AND ARMY
ADMIRAL
GOLDEN MARINE

HILL STREET
WELLESLEY HOTEL
VILLAGE BLACKSMITH

CHAPEL STREET
ROSE OF DENMARK
RAILWAY TAVERN

ARTILLERY PLACE
GENERAL ABERCROMBIE
QUEENS ARMS
ARMY HOUSE

MULGRAVE PLACE
QUEEN VICTORIA
RED LION

WOOLWICH COMMON
BARRACK TAVERN
MANOR ARMS

ORDNANCE ROAD WOOLWICH COMMON
ROYAL ORDNANCE ARMS
PERSERVERANCE

WOOLWICH NEW ROAD
THE GUN
ANGLESEA ARMS
ROYAL OAK
ROYAL MORTAR
CORNISH ARMS

WATERMANS FIELD
FOUNTAIN
WALPOLE ARMS

BULLFIELDS
PRINCESS OF WALES
THE BULL

WOOLWICH NEW ROAD
DUKE OF YORK
PIONEER

GREENS END
ORDNANCE ARMS
SALUTATION
DUCHESS OF WELLINGTON

THOMAS STREET
FORTUNE OF WAR
BRICKLAYERS ARMS

WELLINGTON STREET
DIRECTOR GENERAL
STAR

LOWER MARKET STREET
DUKE OF WELLINGTON

THOMAS STREET
EARL OF CHATHAM

POWIS STREET
SHAKESPEARE
STAR AND GARTER
POWIS ARMS

EDWARD STREET
CASTLE

HARE STREET
WHITE HART
RRINCE ALBERT

UNION STREET
UNION ARMS

BERESFORD STREET
DUKE OF SUSSEX
EAGLE

CANNON ROW
CROWN AND MASONS

ROPEYARD RAILS

PRINCE OF WALES
SIR COLIN CAMPBELL
NEW ORDNANCE ARMS

WOOLWICH HIGH STREET
ANCHOR AND HOPE
WATERMANS ARMS
COAT AND BADGE
LORD CLYDE
NIGHTINGALE PLACE
NIGHTINGALE TAVERN

BERESFORD STREET
DUKE OF EDINBURGH
FREE TRADER

BERESFORD SQUARE
ELEPHANT AND CASTLE

WILLIAM STREET
PEDESTRIAN

PLUMSTEAD

SHOOTERS HILL
BULL
RED LION
EAGLE

PLUMSTEAD COMMON ROAD /PLUMSTEAD COMMON
HARE AND HOUNDS
WOODMAN
LORD BLOOMFIELD
STAR
LORD HERBERT
SHIP
BARNFIELD ARMS
PRINCE OF WALES
WHO’D HAVE THOUGHT IT
OLD MILL
PRINCE ALBERT

PLUMSTEAD HIGH STREET
GREEN MAN
PLUME OF FEATHERS
PRINCE OF ORANGE
HORSE AND GROOM
RED LION
DOVER CASTLE
RAILWAY TAVERN
SUSSEX ARMS
VOLUNTEER

LAKEDALE ROAD
BREWERY TAP (OUTSIDE BEASLEYS BREWERY)

KINGS HIGHWAY
ALMA

PLUMSTEAD ROAD
FOUNTAIN
LORD PANMURE
UNITED SERVICES
EARL OF ESSEX
WOOLWICH INFANT
WALMER CASTLE

BURRAGE ROAD
QUEENS ARMS
CROWN AND SCEPTRE

MAXEY ROAD
WINDSOR CASTLE
CONGLETON ARMS
PERCY ARMS

PALMESTON ROAD
PRINCE ALFRED

WALMER ROAD
LORD DERBY
FORESTER

ORCHARD ROAD
ROSE AND CROWN

SPRAY STREET
SANDY HILL
AVENUE ARMS

FREDERICK STREET
FREEMASONS ARMS

MELBOURNE PLACE
MELBOURNE ARMS

CRESCENT ROAD
SIR ROBERT PEEL

RAGLAN STREET
THE LORD RAGLAN

BLOOMFIELD ROAD
DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE

ETON ROAD
ARMSTRONG GUN

ANNE STREET
BRIDGE TAVERN
ROYAL STANDARD

VICARAGE ROAD

BRAMBLEBURY ARMS

GRAYDON ROAD
PARK ESTATE TAVERN

ORCHARD STREET
ORCHARD ARMS

INVERNESS STREET
INVERNESS ARMS

PATTISON ROAD
STAR AND GARTER

ROSE STREET
ROSIE
ETON ROAD
PRINCE ARTHUR

SANDY HILL ROAD
THE FORT

Comments

• How many of these are still going ?

Are there any closed ones that people remember ?
  • all the pubs on shooters hill are still very much open amazing how that area has escaped un changed.
  • Very very few
  • anyone got any nosegay??
  • That's a helluva pub crawl...not that you'd want to be crawling in those streets!!
  • There was the Beasleys Brewery in Plumstead.

What were the other beers you remember when you were a lad in 1863, AFKA?
  • To be fair though, the telly was rubbish in them days so what other options were there?
  • To be fair though, the telly was rubbish in them days so what other options were there?
    Belting the kids, giving the missus yet another portion, and nipping down B & Q
  • Ahhhh they were the days Oggy
  • Fantastic post, the current Rose of Denmark is an incarnation of the one destroyed by a V1 but surely still counts, I would like to know more about the "who'd of thought it!" on Plumpstead Common
  • Sponsored links:

• WHO’D HAVE THOUGHT IT is still there, it's was in the Aviva advert a little while ago, the 'Green Army' one.

Bit of a sh*t hole now, someone sprayed it with bullets a couple of months ago and if you want some 'gear' it's the place to go.
  • edited February 2012
    Don't know if the Steam Packet is still open but if it isn't, it should be.
  • the Lord Raglan is still open
  • Depressing.
  • Seemed to have missed the Prince Rupert in Robert Street and the Roses in Brewery Road.
  • edited February 2012
    Seemed to have missed the Prince Rupert in Robert Street and the Roses in Brewery Road.
    but were they there in 1863?

I remember a lot of the pubs named but having moved away many years ago now I've no idea (apart from the Shooters Hill ones) which are closed and which remain open. From what I'm told and have read most of the Woolwich ones have gone.
  • HARE AND HOUNDS Plumstead Common.
    Where was this pub? Grew up on Plumstead Common Road and can not place it.
  • edited February 2012
    HARE AND HOUNDS Plumstead Common.
    Where was this pub? Grew up on Plumstead Common Road and can not place it.

Fox & Hounds ?

WALMER CASTLE, could this had been the Dover Castle?
  • I'd just like to point out that the year before your pub crawl, 1862, Blackheath CC was formed and we celebrate our 150th anniversary this year.
    As a member for over 30 years and a Honorary Vice President of the club this is a very proud year for me.
  • I'd just like to point out that the year before your pub crawl, 1862, Blackheath CC was formed and we celebrate our 150th anniversary this year.
    As a member for over 30 years and a Honorary Vice President of the club this is a very proud year for me.
    ...for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow... and so say all of us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Shooters Hill .........The Eagle ? Don't look that old to me ?
  • Lol from what I can work out in the 25 years I've been playing darts in this area I think i ve played in about 48 of em
  • Shooters Hill .........The Eagle ? Don't look that old to me ?
    Don't forget the original Eagle was bombed in World War 2.
  • I remember going in the Dover Castle - Plumstead High Street, the bouncer charging me 50p to go in (around 1988) - must have been good.. Knocked down now though, for a college building or the mosque/temple perhaps. (I can't quite place where it was). I went to a party in the Star at the top of Thomas Street. That seemed to be quite a lively place. Shut now, but I think the building is still there.
  • Elephant and Castle is open for market traders. 6am till 8pm I think.
  • I remember going in the Dover Castle - Plumstead High Street, the bouncer charging me 50p to go in (around 1988) - must have been good.. Knocked down now though, for a college building or the mosque/temple perhaps. (I can't quite place where it was). I went to a party in the Star at the top of Thomas Street. That seemed to be quite a lively place. Shut now, but I think the building is still there.
    The Star is still there but boarded up. The MOD bought it and closed it down as there was so much aggro with squadies in there.

• Did you know - in 1863 Paul Walker Rennell was landlord of The Dover Castle, Plumstead

True, BTW
  • edited February 2012
    He serve you your first drink Oggy?
  • The Star is owned by the New Wine Church
  • edited February 2012
    From that fountain of all reliable knowledge, Wikipedia:

Plumstead Common Windmill was marked on the 1819-43 Ordnance Survey map. In 1827, there was an accident at the mill when so many people crowded onto the stage to watch a sham fight that it gave way, injuring a number of them. In 1848, the mill was converted into a brewhouse, having been disused for a number of years previously.[1] The tower remains today, as part of the Old Mill pub.

How ironic. The pub still stages sham fights and was last decorated in 1849.