Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

C.V. top trumps your work history.

was making a new CV last night for the new year.. since i left college in 1998 ive had 14 jobs... is that to many? think i should leave some off the CV otherwise it will be a 20 page epic.. will list companies and jobs and see if anyone can trump it. Also have to include living in Oz for a year and being off work for 6 months after being in a coma...

The Cutty Sark (ship not pub) - Crew member
Dixons Lewisham- sales assistant
charlton athletic - turnstyle operator
r & d multiplan - electricians mate.
alpha photographic agency - dark room assistant
london management - actors agents assistant/voice over and comedy department
merrill lynch - post room op
orange -post room op
linklatters - post room op
stagecoach - bus driver
greenwich counci -l bus driver
curtis brown - entertainment industry, comedy and presenters department assistant
charlton manor -  caretaker
revolution - area manager/ site manager

i have lost a few jobs due to reduncany, never been sacked or fired, i think its fair to say im still looking for my vocation in life... any lucky buggers out there who have had the one job since school and love it to death?? also those that know me, any ideas of job suggestions? apart from crisp taster for walkers crisps and sumo wrestler...

Comments

• Adam, in my opinion gaps in job history are the greater evil. Leaves it open to suggestion and gives them another question to ask you. If you then explain what you were doing they will then wonder why you didn't put it on in the first place and have them wondering why you left it off (sacked? etc). 14 is a lot in 11 years. I've had 2 in 26 including my current one.

• Robert Lee impersonator.

Sorry couldn't resist! Will try and come up with something serious and sensible.

• edited December 2011
    Large is right. Don't leave gaps. In today's job market employers don't want waste time asking questions they don't need to. Can also be misconstrued e.g. prison etc.

• Adam, in my opinion gaps in job history are the greater evil. Leaves it open to suggestion and gives them another question to ask you. If you then explain what you were doing they will then wonder why you didn't put it on in the first place and have them wondering why you left it off (sacked? etc). 14 is a lot in 11 years. I've had 2 in 26 including my current one.

They interpret these things how they want and depending on what day of the week it is!

Like you did I've worked at the same place (albeit under different ownership) for a long time. On the occasions I have put feelers out (or been approached) some have admired my "loyalty" others have concluded, without interview, that because I've not moved for a long time I lack ambition.

Which is right? Pay your money and take your choice!

If it was me I'd be honest and, as you say, let them ask any questions. It may also help you assess whether they are the type of people you would be happy working with / for anyway.

• Adam, as others have said don't leave gaps as they will assume you were in prison or mental hospital.  Not joking that's what the research says.   You could bunch some jobs together to save space ie 1997 - 2000 post room op at X, Y and Z.

Also your CV is the wrong way round.  Most recent first as that will normally be the more impressive job.  You do need to taylor you CV for the job/company you're applying for.

Email it over if you want some in depth professional advice : - )  No charge.

I think the photoagency work was your ideal.  I know someone who's a photo researcher.  Maybe try for that.
  • would love that henners, someone must get paid on have i got news for you to find the pictures.. god knows how i would get into that tho.
  • would love that henners, someone must get paid on have i got news for you to find the pictures.. god knows how i would get into that tho.
    I'll ask Heather when I see her.
  • thanks ben, see you tomorrow.
  • thanks ben, see you tomorrow.
    Not slumming it in the Lib tomorrow for a change.  Prawn sandwiching it
  • Sponsored links:

• Adam.  I have a similar number of jobs under my belt all be it from 1993.  I keep my CV very simple 1 page detailing each role in no more than 3 lines.  One line each for education, professional qualifications and hobby's. I have a photo of myself in the top right and all my personal details in the top left. 

I also see a large number of CV's when we put jobs out there and the thing I look for "myself" is something I can read very quickly but also get a clear understanding of what the person has done in the past.  

Also keep your cover letters short and to the point and point out that you are doing this because you understand the volume of CV's that we be submitted given the current situation.  Always try and use language that imply you will expanded on any points "when/if we meet for an interview" This puts them in a frame of mind with out knowing it that you will be coming for an interview.  Then its up to you :) 

This however does not work every time as already pointed out.  It has however served me very well over time.     
  • Adam, most CV's are pulled via a keyword search these days. So make sure you have the right terminology or jargon for your industry.

• edited December 2011

• edited December 2011
  • Spell "turnstile" properly - unless you were actually designing clothes for the CAFC Superstore.  :-)

How about bigging up some of the job titles?  Rather than "Post Room Op" - how about "Data Distribution Team Leader".  Turnstile  Operator could be something like Consumer Admissions Oversight.

Seriously though don't you need to mention PSV/PCV in the bus driver bit - gets the prospective employer focused on your ability to take and pass exams?

• As a boss that regularly interviews for staff i would be put off by the number of jobs.  Very costly to recruit and train so would like to think that a potential employee is here for the long term.  Not that I would encourage to lie, but I would suggest losing a few of the more menial posts and extend the periods of employment of some of the others.  50% of CV's that I see go straight in the bin due to spelling mistakes, poor grammer, presentation etc so get some proper advice on writing and presenting a CV. I can honestly say say have never taken a reference from a previous employer but will depend on the type of job or employer.
  • 50% of CV's that I see go straight in the bin due to spelling mistakes, poor grammer,
    Was that deliberate or just deliciously ironic?
  • Keep your CV to two A4 sides, focus on your achievements, remember this is not a historical document,it is not even about getting you job.  CV's have a single purpose and that is to get an interview.  
  • You want to work in IT. I've had 11 jobs in eight years - and I've been in my current one for four of those!
  • edited December 2011
    As a boss that regularly interviews for staff, i I would be put off by the number of jobs.  It is Vvery costly to recruit and train so I would like to think that a potential employee is here for the long term.  Not that I would encourage you to lie, but I would suggest losing a few of the more menial posts and extend the periods of employment of some of the others*.  50% of CV's that I see go straight in the bin due to spelling mistakes, poor grammer grammar, presentation etc etc. so get some proper advice on writing and presenting a CV. I can honestly say say that I have never taken a reference from a previous employer but I will depend on the type of job or employer**.
    * How do you extend periods without lying?
    ** Even without taking a reference?

Is it time to cut people a little slack?
  • Sponsored links:

• Keep your CV to two A4 sides, focus on your achievements, remember this is not a historical document,it is not even about getting you job.  CV's have a single purpose and that is to get an interview.  
    Fantastic advice.  You sound like Max Eggert.
  • Tailor the cv for the job you are going for. Research the company you want to work for and repeat key phrases and lingo that you see on their website. If their mission statement is 'Always focused on the customer' then that's how you describe yourself on the cv. Most recent job first, but before then a couple of sentences that describe you and your outlook.

If you are less than certain on spelling, punctuation etc then get it checked by someone. Just because there are no squigly lines on the screen doesn't mean that there aren't spelling mistakes. Where I work we chuck cvs with mistakes in the bin.

Read the job ad carefully. If it says send the cv in the body of an email then do that, don't attach. If it asks for particular skills, make sure the first para of the cv and covering letter show that you have those skills in abundance. And you lived in Oz for a year, so presumably you are resourceful and flexible. That needs to be bought out.

Think about shared skills. What elements of previous jobs need skills that will be necessary in the job you are going for now.

And good luck. It's hard out there but so many candidates make little to no effort.

• For full time employment the serious stuff

I joined Coca Cola at 18 and i am still here at the age of 36

Do i love my job

Yeah right now i do but there have been times that i honestly thought about leaving and trying something else

I have had 10 different jobs in Coca Cola so i suppose that counts as differnt jobs

Should i succeed in this new role then my CV will have some amazing refrence points to look back upon,

for me the Olympics is key in 2012 do well and who knows what 2013 brings, fail and i know what it will bring

• Nothing to do with CVs, but here is an advert my mate was involved with for Coke (account director at agency).  Didn't notice you in it NLA, face for radio and all that...

• Mate how good would it be to be someone who gets to run with that torch

Once in a life time

• If you've had 14 jobs in 11 years then you can afford to leave some off. Those three consecutive 'post room op' jobs for example: is there one that lasted much longer than the others? If so just play with the truth regarding the dates a little. Also, if you've had a gap of a couple of months then that's not going to worry anyone as it's quite reasonable to spend a bit of time between jobs looking for another one.

It would be impossible for me to put all the jobs I've had on four pages, let alone one, so it's inevitable that something has to go or be 're-written.' I have to make an effort to really remember what I've done anyway. Some of the companies I've worked for have since gone bust, were overseas, or probably never legally existed in the first place so who's to know the difference!

The point is Adam that all the people contributing to this thread have varying degrees of success or longevity in their posts so it's not possible to make one rule that fits all. The bottom line is that you have to SEEM interesting so adapt your CV to do that.
  • I've just been trying to add up all the jobs I've had and I counted 23 in 20 years. This is leaving out a few where I doubled up i.e had two jobs at the same time. I reckon I could claim perhaps 30 jobs. The way you're going then you could beat me! I also had a year in Oz where I include 3 jobs in the 23 but could add on another, or two others if digging a hole for a day for someone counts.

If you've been travelling then you have to leave some gaps in the CV. Anyone who assumes that you must have been to prison or suchlike (as mentionned above) must be the sort of short-sighted arse that isn't worth working for anyway.
  • I have had 7 jobs and this includes summer and Christmas temp work

AXA Travel Insurance
    Watson Wyatt
    The Fitness Zone
    Sunglass Hut Xmas temp
    Sainsbury's summer temp
    All Sports Xmas Temp
    Amici Summer temp

Actual jobs since college 3 in 5 years!