Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Are We Too Dependant On BWP?

Last night Bradley Wright-Phillips scored his second brace of the season to take his tally up to 10 goals.  This is a fantastic achievement and, if he could keep it up throughout the season would put him on track to be our first 30 a season man since Derek Hales in 1975/76.   Whilst, this is a fantastic proposition, it is surely too much to hope for, especially as BWP has a history of knees.  So as wonderful as it is we still need others in the team who can score goals.

The table below was put together to see how we compare with other teams (the top six in League 1 and the top two in the other three divisions) to see if we have the sort of fire power needed in the event of Bradley being out for part of the season. 

So what does it tell us?

Firstly we have been highly dependant on BWP's goals to date.  Only Gary Madine and Wayne Rooney have scored a higher percentage of their teams' goals this season.
More importantly though, I think it tells us that we could cope (if not quite as well) if we had to do without Wright-Phillips for a while.  Although our number of 8 scorers is the lowest out of all the teams considered, 7 of those players have scored 2 or more goals.  And then there's something that the stats doesn't tell. It's the quality of the goals.  I can't remember too many scruffy goals this season.  Our goals have not been accidental goals from goalmouth melees.  No matter who has scored them, our goals have been deliberate and well worked and were created by people who knew exactly what they are doing.  That tells me that they'll be able to do it again.  

Worrying unnecessarily?  I think I probably was.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Hope so

He can sometimes go missing for 89 minutes then pop up for a goal at the end.

If this goal is the winner then not great but if we are already 3-0 up then it's not a problem

I think Kermit, Hayes (before he was ruthlessly dropped), JJ etc were chipping in with a few goals but it's looking like he will probably score double the next best scorer come the end of the season

Wrap him up in lots of cotton wool unless we can pick up another out-and-out goalscorer in Jan ....

• edited October 2011
    So would you rather he score less?
    We've been crying out for a goalscorer like BWP and when we get him you start to worry that we are too dependent him.

• I'd be worried if we had to face a long period without BWP. As a Charlton supporter it is actually quite strange to be talking about relying on strikers - we've had so many non-striking strikers in the past few years!
  • edited October 2011
    The other thing to think about when looking at the 'number of scorers' is how consistent the line-up is from match to match.

Take it to an extreme ... it would be impossible for an unchanged side to have as many as 15 different scorers.

We are dependent on BWP's goals. Which team wouldn't be? If he was out for a month or so, I think we'd see the impact. He scores the type of goal that you can't see others scoring.
  • So would you rather he score less?
    We've been crying out for a goalscorer like BWP and when we get him you start to worry that we are too dependent him.

Of course not.
  • edited October 2011
    These are quite interesting stats, but it's impossible to draw a conclusion to the question you pose without regularly playing without him - something which obviously would not be in our interest given how he's played this season. 

We only have 1 game to compare to, the win up at Bury.
  • edited October 2011
    If those percentages were 50% + goals , then maybe it would be a concern but I think 33% is a healthy percentage. 67% of our goals come from other players.
  • We're getting a decent amount of goals from the rest of the team, with the exception of the centre backs. Another striker would of course come in to replace BWP if he was out and whilst they may not score as many as BWP would they would hopefully still keep the Goals For column ticking over.
  • Even if we are "relying" too much on BWP, the fact of the matter is, our second striker has scored 4 goals in 6 appearances, 2 of which came from the bench. That's pretty good going. On top of that, Hayes put a few away before and could probably do so again. I would be worried if he was injured, but I reckno we have plenty of scoring options who could do a, not quite as prolific, but similar job.
  • If BWP gets injured for the long term then were in trouble. Saying that if you look at our squad then you'll see we have the ability to get goals,especially in midfield. The January transfer window is always a option.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's also worth noting that two players who were scoring goals at the beginning of the season (Hayes & Waggy) have now been relegated to the subs bench. Kermorgant will score 10-15+ this season, Green is getting shots on target and the goals will come eventually. Taylor and Morrison are dangerous at set-pieces, the former very unlucky not to have scored yet. Stephens will get back to Bournemouth standard i'm sure.
    All in all, plenty of goals in this side.
  • Gary Madine was sent off last night so lets see the effect it has on Sheff Wednesday when he is suspended, he is not just their top striker but also League ones as well
  • You need someone that's going to get you around 20 goals if you want any chance of going up. Over the last few seasons the sides going up have had that.

Norwich - Holt
    Southampton - Lambert
    Peterborough - CMS
    Milwall - Morison
    Murray - Brighton
  • edited October 2011

i wouldn’t say we are over depended on him. I have worked out the 26 of our 34 points would have been won without BWP scoring.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bournemouth = 3-0 [no goals for BWP]

Notts County = 2-1 [no goals for BWP]

Bury = 2-1 [no goals for BWP]

Exeter = 2-0 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 1-0 so 3 points]

Rochdale = 3-2 [no goals for BWP]

Chesterfield = 3-1 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 2-1 so 3 points]

MK Dons = 1-1 [no goals for BWP]

Sheff Utd = 2-0 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 1-0 so 3 points]

Tranmere = 1-1 [no goals for BWP]

Carlisle = 4-0 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 3-0 so 3 points]

I know he provides assists and link up play too, but without his goals so far we would comfortably be in the promotion chase. We can win games with him scoring and win without.

• I think we will depend on our best player - It is only natural. You can look at the goals he scored last night but against Tranmere he missed a sitter - cost us 2 points and a one on one against Stevenage could have ultimately cost us 3 points. Those stats suggest we do rely on him but you can argue that we had to do without him at Bury and won and he hasn't always had good games and we have won some of those.  Fortunately we have quite a few excellent players but I'd rather have BWP fit than not if that is the root of the question.
  • I don't think the goals alone tell the story.  I'm happy that Kermo and Hayes can get a few and Jacko and Green/Waggy will weigh in with few.  The central midfielders too. 

The thing with BWP is that he makes space that defenders at this level can't cope with.  He stretches play out and makes space for others.  It's notable that he had poor performances in our games against Tranmere and Stevenage.  I think that any team will have a hard time if it loses its most prolific scorer, but I just reckon that the team with Bradley in it has something extra, so we'd miss him more than Wednesday would miss Medine, for example.

• Nothign to worry about. You cant spent years looking for a 20/30 goal a season striker and then claim your to dependant on him, it doesnt work both ways.
    Jackson always gets a healthy supply of goals, and weve seen alot of other players contribute. Any side that has a 20+ goal a season striker, stats will show you are dependent. In your setup.

You cant figure this until we go 5 or more games in a row with him being unavailable, then question it.

We are dependent on our striker to do his job, nothing more.
  • Are we dependant on Solly as the only game he didn't play we lost?
  • I was on here a few games ago berating bwp for not working hard enough and actually adding very little in terms of effort but the thing is that one piece of effort often produces a goal. I don't think he works particularly hard for the team BUT when he does something for himself and scores well we all love him and its this genius he has for scoring that makes him so playable and yes he will miss sitters but overall the opportunist poacher is the best or certainly one of the best in this league and the other thing about him is that he feeds on confidence more than most in the team and with so many goals scored this season he is a must have; but is he a must have or we lose? no way. This team from hamer to bwp are a real force in this league and hopefully the next .
  • Sponsored links:

• You don't think he works particularly hard for the team? He's worked his socks of this season. I feel like no matter what he does people will still have the image of 'lazy' BWP in their minds. This season he's charged down defenders, tracked back, laid off to players in better positions, put it out wide instead of just taking on a defender, he's worked so hard for the team. There have even been times where he's laid the ball of to Hayes when I would have liked him to shoot himself. It's not fair to say he only works for himself, it sells him short
  • You need someone that's going to get you around 20 goals if you want any chance of going up. Over the last few seasons the sides going up have had that.

Norwich - Holt
    Southampton - Lambert
    Peterborough - CMS
    Milwall - Morison
    Murray - Brighton
    Interesting table Stig - but I think Plaayer has given you the answer.

Do you remember when Curbs reckoned having  five strikers who might get you six goals a season each (Bartlett, Pringle, Svensson etc)  was a more realistic option for Charlton than looking for a 20 goal a season man?

Well I never quite bought that, except on the purely pragmatic basis that 20 goal strikers cost millions we didn't have - and if perchance we found one, Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal or whoever  would immediately poach him and double his wages.

Well now we've got one (albeit in div three). I'd guess he's our  most reliable goalscorer since Darren Bent, and I reckon he can do it in the championship next season, too. So let's just celebrate the fact. But thanks for starting the thread - very interesting and thought-provoking stuff.

• I think that people are overlooking one simple fact, whoever plays in that "striker" role for Charlton this season is going to score a lot of goals simply because the team is creating a huge number of chances because of the quality we have in midfield.

Even if Benson were in the number 10 shirt he would still be scoring goals - not as many as BWP - but still a reasonable number because we are creating quality chances.

• Simple answer is yes. Kermagant is still a relative unknown in terms of consistency but from even these early days he looks like he can score regularly at this level. If the team are still flying come January I would like to see the board speculate in order to accumulate in terms of ensuring promotion as much as that is ever possible by looking to bring in another striker even if that means spending relatively big. Missing out on being promoted after doing all the groundwork would be a bitter pill. I just pray BWP stays fit. He can definitely score us into the championship.
  • We have gone a game (or 2) without BWP this season. We managed to score 2 vs Bury without him.
  • Be grateful we have BWP - He is somebody who can score goals - lets face it - it makes a change. Not since Hales have we had a sneaky crafty scorer who gets the half chance and makes it count.

Beware my friends.

Our biggest problem will be that bigger fish will be looking at him in the January transfer window and to catch and net a few pennies Charlton will sell.  

What a shame that will be
  • Be grateful we have BWP - He is somebody who can score goals - lets face it - it makes a change. Not since Hales have we had a sneaky crafty scorer who gets the half chance and makes it count.

Beware my friends.

Our biggest problem will be that bigger fish will be looking at him in the January transfer window and to catch and net a few pennies Charlton will sell.  

What a shame that will be

What about super Clive ?
  • There is absolutely no way the owners will jeopardise promotion ( and their investment ) by selling BWP . It ain't happening .
  • i wouldn’t say we are over depended on him. I have worked out the 26 of our 34 points would have been won without BWP scoring.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bournemouth = 3-0 [no goals for BWP]

Notts County = 2-1 [no goals for BWP]

Bury = 2-1 [no goals for BWP]

Exeter = 2-0 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 1-0 so 3 points]

Rochdale = 3-2 [no goals for BWP]

Chesterfield = 3-1 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 2-1 so 3 points]

MK Dons = 1-1 [no goals for BWP]

Sheff Utd = 2-0 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 1-0 so 3 points]

Tranmere = 1-1 [no goals for BWP]

Carlisle = 4-0 [should BWP not have scored it would have been 3-0 so 3 points]

I know he provides assists and link up play too, but without his goals so far we would comfortably be in the promotion chase. We can win games with him scoring and win without.

Oh dear!

Do you honestly believe that, for example, the second goal in a 2-0 win never has an effect on the outcome?  So, if BWP didn't score at Bramall Lane, there was no way that Sheff Utd might have got a 1-1 draw? 

Makes you wonder why teams bother to score 'unnecessary' goals.

• I think that people are overlooking one simple fact, whoever plays in that "striker" role for Charlton this season is going to score a lot of goals simply because the team is creating a huge number of chances because of the quality we have in midfield.

Even if Benson were in the number 10 shirt he would still be scoring goals - not as many as BWP - but still a reasonable number because we are creating quality chances.

Agree with this and I would expect a striker who has started the vast majority of our games to be chipping in with at least a third of our goals.