Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I.P Steve Jobs

Changed the way of computers / MACS and technology

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives,"

RIP

Comments

• Options
    I worked for an Apple Dealership in the late 80's/early 90's, buying & selling Software/Hardware, the man was a genius, RIP Mr Jobs.
  • Options
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    R.I.P the man carried apple. Let's sit back and watch apple fall.
  • Options
    Thank you Mr Jobs for designing the best mobile phone ever. R.I.P
  • Options
    Loved his stanford speech amazing some  of th spiteful things being posted underneath it - some people are amazing
  • Options
    Did he actually design it during his role as CEO?
  • Options
    A genius, RIP, there is Apple then there is the rest.
  • Options
    Did he actually design it during his role as CEO?
    A very hands on control freak so probably a massive input to the deisgn
  • Options
    And is it the best mobile phone ever?

Or an ipod touch with a poor calling facility but a great operating system? No doubt the Ipod touch is superb, but there are much better phones out there. 

He was a genius no doubt.
  • Options
    He was the driving force behind the devices that connect me to the rest of the world, and devices which have made life a lot easier. 

You can say what you like about the iPhone, but it's a device which anyone can pick up and just use, and that process of making things simple but brilliant is why he was such an exceptional leader or what is now the world's most valuable company.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    oh, and let's not forget what he did with Pixar, films which will be regarded as classics in 50/100/200 years time.
  • Options
    My first computer was an Apple Macintosh.  Back in the 80s it not only looked good but you had a mouse and pointed at icons on a screen.  So easy to use, no typing in endless code and file names could be more than 8 characters long.

How the IT geeks looked down their noses at Macs.  10 years later they loved Windows 98.

And the Ipod was just brilliant desig, easy to use and still is.
  • Options
    oh, and let's not forget what he did with Pixar, films which will be regarded as classics in 50/100/200 years time.
    think some are classed as classics now!

• Options
    An excellent example of someone with a fantastic talent who didn't waste it. RIP
  • Options
    An excellent example of someone with a fantastic talent who didn't waste it. RIP
    In a way he did. All that money he made and he dies so soon after retirement without having time to spend it.
  • Options

In a way he did. All that money he made and he dies so soon after retirement without having time to spend it.
    “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me… Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.” Steve Jobs.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

“Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me… Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.” Steve Jobs.
    If making a huge profit phone is something wonderful then well done Mr. Jobs. Personally I regarding saving lives as something wonderful and find that quote in extremely poor taste.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

If making a huge profit is something wonderful then well done Mr. Jobs. Personally I regarding saving lives as something wonderful and find that quote in extremely poor taste.
    Perhaps people will think its in extremrly bad taste that you slag him off on the day he died ? Just an observation .
  • Options

If making a huge profit is something wonderful then well done Mr. Jobs. Personally I regarding saving lives as something wonderful and find that quote in extremely poor taste.

The "something wonderful" that he is referring to are the products his company makes, not the money. Most people who knew Jobs said that he was not remotely interested in money and lived a very modest life in terms of material possessions.

He could have walked away years ago to enjoy his wealth but loved his work and the company so much that he worked up until only a couple of months before passing away.

• Options
    Fair enough, I took the quote out of contexts, apologies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw an interesting talk by him where he talked about dropping out of university and not knowing what he wanted to do.  He did some courses that interested him including a caligraphy class which formed the basis of apple's innovative fonts.  It was interesting to learn how this accidental thing formed such a large part of a cornerstone of today's computing. 
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    From someone who isn't too interested in all the IT background stuff, I found him to be really interesting to listen to. Always spoke in laymans terms and didn't come accross as a billy big boots. A humble man who was also a pioneering genius.

R.I.P

This chat show he done with Bill Gates in 2007 in def worth a look at. Despite their rivalries, they have a common mutual respect and admiration for each others work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7eal4uXI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
  • Options
    I think the universal respect and comments expressed in what can be a very bitchy industry  was refreshing to hear.
     I have used apple products for nearly 20 years now and though they do have there issues, can be expensive, and upgrade too quickly for my liking, the man had a rare gift
     for being able to identify products that people wanted. He rescued apple from the DTP 'niche' computer market where I had to use them, to  the public. 
    His products have transformed many peoples lives. He seemed to be liked by his workforce as well, a rare thing these day's.
    Be interesting to see in a couple of years how apple develop the brand.
  • Options
    rip.

what did he die from and how old was he, is it my turn next? I've just seen the reaper ( no not the blue oyster cult ) and he's just given me a mischievous nod and wink.
  • Options

I think most of us will remember Jobs for how his Apple changed the way we listen to music.  iPhone schiphone, there are better phones out there and way ahead of Apple in terms of technology and functionality, but the iPod popularised MP3s and took us all to a different place.

I think he lived his dream, and that, surely, is the point?  Definitely a talent, and way too young to be dying.  RIP.

• Options
    Gates pumped in a load of cash into Apple in 1998, kept it afloat. 

You are right they did have a mutual respect they both needed each other, the man was a perfectionist, visionary and genius.

He created a brand more than a product.

• Options
    I too found Macintosh in the 80's - it was so better than the rest, then I was seduced away to the PC but luckily found Apple about 2 years ago, Ok their products are expensive but very good and I thank Steve Jobs for them - RIP
  • Options
    rip. what did he die from and how old was he, is it my turn next? I've just seen the reaper ( no not the blue oyster cult ) and he's just given me a mischievous nod and wink.
    56 and from pancreatic cancer, one of the hardest cancers to treat. So bizarre that an 'error' in such a tiny part of the human anatomy as the pancreas causes so many deaths.  Even a multi billionaire can't throw enough expertise and money at the problem to cure it. James Lee Burke that genius author and narrator of modern Americana proposes that cancer is primarily a disease of Industrialisation. Ironic how a genius amongst modern industrialists should fall prey to cancer. 
  • Options
    The worse cynic in me says great advertising to die a day after a new product release, however a friend and me were joking last night about the iPhone 4s and saying they will release the 5 version when he dies.

Little did we know not 7hrs later he would be dead.

As a complete fan boy of apple and hopefully a decent person despite the above, RIP Steve - you changed communication and music play forever.

• Options
    RobRob
    edited October 2011
    RIP Steve Jobs. He was a visionary who changed the way the world communicates. Whether you think that has been a good thing or not is a different matter but, without a doubt, he was a visionary and a genius.