Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next season's squad

edited March 6 in General Charlton
Now we've got a few games under our belt under NJ and look a far better team than before, how many of this squad do you reckon will/should be here next season?

AMB and Isted are both contracted through next year, I can't see us signing a new number 1 without one of them leaving, but it's tough as so often a keeper can shine elsewhere and be dogshit here (take MacGillivray for example)

Verdict: both stay

Hector, Thomas and Ness are all up for renewal in the summer. 12-15 months ago I would have said sign Ness up for as long as possible but he's been a shadow of that player this season, and whilst Thomas has had an upturn in form recently I'm not sure he's a man to have playing most games in a promotion chasing team, unless a backup only. However I believe both will be extended. Hector is too injury prone and lackadaisical to really warrant a new contract. 

Verdict
: Gillesphey, Jones, Edmonds-Green, Thomas, Ness, Mitchell all stay, one new signing in to replace Hector. 

Wing backs is an interesting area, and one that is crucial to the system NJ wants to play. Asiimwe, Edun, Thomas and Ramsay are all contracted through at least next season, and we have an option on Small, so expect him to extend too. The biggest disappointment of them is Edun who we chased for the best part of a year only to find out he seemingly can't cross and isn't a great defender. 

Verdict
: no change here unless someone is sold

Moving to central midfield, we have a large amount of players leaving in the summer for one reason or another as it stands, with Watson, Camara, Bakinson and Fiorini all on loans, Dobson and Payne out of contract, and Fraser seemingly way out of favour and homesick. Taylor and Coventry have clearly been earmarked as the future of our midfield alongside burgeoning talent Anderson, but it's here I expect the most amount of change. 

Verdict
: one of Camara and Bakinson to sign on a free, 3 further signings to replace the rest, Fraser sold for next to nothing. 

Wingers are an enigma, NJ seemingly doesn't operate with them, and the moving on of Chem Campbell, Kirk and CBT in the winter rather swayed that decision, with Tyreece the sole winger left in the first team. He's out of contract in the summer and I expect him to leave for pastures new.

Verdict: Nathan Jones' wingless wonders!

Finally we have the strikers, with May an almost certainty to stay, and Kanu signing a new long term deal, it remains to be seen what happens with long term injured Leaburn, with many suitors before injury, and Chuks Aneke, who's name my phone tries to auto correct to "Fucked" Aneke, which seems very on the nose, but alarmingly accurate. Ladapo hasn't really impressed despite his history in League 1 and will no doubt slip back off to Ipswich in the summer. 

Verdict
: May and Kanu stay, Aneke gets a 1 year deal, Leaburn sold, Ladapo sent back and we sign 2 new strikers

Let me know what you surmise will happen, and if the net result of it all will spell success for us or not.

Long Story short, we'll sign about 7 or 8 players this summer, sell or jettison 11 or 12 and operate with a more trim, but robust squad for next season

Comments

• Options
    Definitely a new No1 with one of the current two departing 

Wing backs I agree could be ok with the two on each side, although I’d have to see how Ramsay does as not convinced on Watson despite his improved form. 

Not sure we need 7 CBs as per the original list. I still think we need a quality CB to go with Gillesphy and REG. Happy with Jones and then two from Ness, Mitchell, Hector and Thomas to complete the set. 

CMs need anothet overhaul. Crying out for a creative midfielder. I’d like to go with Coventry, Dobson (if he can/will stay), Bakinson, Anderson and two more. 

I’d get a winger in it Campbell goes for some variety, maybe soneone who could also play wing back or striker too. 

Striker - need one to replace Ladapo, and another if Leaburn goes. 

I don’t think we need loads but no more squad players, the 5/6 we need have to be top class. 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    Would think we might try to move AMB back to Scotland to make room for a new goalkeeper.

Centre backs I’d like to see one top quality option coming in to compete with REG, Jones and Gillesphey would I see as the first choice trio going forward. One of Thomas or Hector would have to make way for them. Ness goes out on loan.

I am personally a big fan of our wing back options. If we hang on to Small then either Asiimwe or Edun goes out on loan leaving us with two of those three together with Tennai and Kayne.

Central midfield, Fraser and McGrandles are gone or will be gone. I think Dobbo is probably done in SE7 too, don’t see how that situation is turned around now. Leaves Coventry, Anderson and Terry Taylor as the contracted options so potential major surgery required here… I still want to see Fiorini given a chance under Jones before the end of the season.

Forwards I like the five options we have. The one thing we’re really missing is a big lump like Chuks but can stay fit. I think we see one of Ladapo or Leaburn gone after this summer and we bring in another target man to replace them. Leaburn is the sentimental, exciting pick to keep but he’s starting to worry me that he’s picking up Chuks’ sick note trait.
  • Options
    edited March 6
    Definitely need a new keeper.
    Over his career Hector hasn’t been injury prone, he’s just been injured recently. 
    Don’t think we have to worry about Miles leaving, because no one will sign him for decent money after his recent injury problems. He’ll need to show that a) the injury hasn’t affected his play and b) that it isn’t recurring, so I think he’ll be available for us at the start of the season at least. 
    Don’t think we need to give Chuks another year, as I think there’s one or two years still left on his current contract. 
    At the back we have the making of a solid defence:
                     REG        Jones      Gillesphey
    Ramsay/Watson                                    Small

Midfield options are more up in the air. 
    Attack: Kanu, May and Leaburn, plus a target man? Ladapo won’t be signed. 
  • Options
    Aneke is already contracted for next season
  • Options
    Re the keepers I would sell Isted, loan AMB and sign a big Championship level keeper and keep Ward/Molyneux as back up, need a bit of luck with injuries but if NJ wants a trimmer squad then no need for the extra keeper 
  • Options
    Re the keepers I would sell Isted, loan AMB and sign a big Championship level keeper and keep Ward/Molyneux as back up, need a bit of luck with injuries but if NJ wants a trimmer squad then no need for the extra keeper 
    Totally agree with this.
  • Options
    We need a couple of big upgrades on our centre backs and keeper.

No chance of promotion next year if we keep conceeding every game.
  • Options
    The main thing NJ has taught us in his short reign so far is that there are some good players in this squad, you don’t outplay Derby away from home with new manager bounce.  I don’t think an entire overhaul is necessary.  

We need to fine tune certain areas, keeper is an interesting point made by a few already.  I’d like a fee spent to bring in a real commanding centre back and I’d sign REG up on a perm.  Watson has shown some form but I think we need a serious RWB.

I’m not fussed if and when Dobson goes, Coventry is an improvement, we need to build our midfield around him.  Bakinson is a good squad player, he did that role with Wednesday so no reason why he can’t do it for us now.  It’s that creative midfielder we need now, again I’d love to see a fee spent on one.

Up top I don’t see Ladapo here next season, so he’s got to be replaced, another experienced head would fit nicely with Kanu and Leaburn in the squad.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to strike a balance between a smaller squad and an awareness of our injury record/jinx/curse.
  • Options
    Before NJ, I was thinking we had to bake a new cake but it is looking like we may only have to ice it.
  • Options
    Definitely need a new keeper.  In addition we need 5-6 others and a trim of the surplus.  All incoming need to be top drawer.  We have our squad players. Now we need the game changers.
  • Options
    We need to make sure that those we bring in have the best chance of being robust in terms of injury and a clear upgrade on what we have. We clearly need a new keeper. We need to cast sentiment aside and clear out a few who will not make the grade. Those include T Campbell, Ness and Mitchell. I’d also wish a fond farewell to Thomas who has been a faithful servant but we’re aiming at a higher level. Hector is at that level but I’m not sure he’s that bothered so Jones has a decision to make as to what he can get out of him. I’d let all of the current midfield loans go with a brief pause for thought over Bakinson. Dobbo will go and I’m not overly bothered so long as we make a judicious replacement.  Up front is an issue. May and Kanu are givens. Chuks has had enough ink wasted on him already. Leaburn has a lot to prove in terms of progress and robustness and the Ladapo experiment hasn’t worked. We need at least one and possibly two clear upgrades. 
  • Options
    X
    REG - X - Gillesphey
    Ramsay - Coventry - X - Small
    X
    May - X

Is the starting eleven for next season for me at the moment.

Wont bother repeating whats been said about the Goalkeepers, I'd keep Maynard-Brewer as a No.2, don't see the point of loaning him out now.

Jones I'd keep around as backup, Hector and Thomas thank you for your Service, but think we equally need something slightly better than Jones... Wont be surprised either if Jones is in that starting eleven.

Midfield and Wing-Backs speak for themselves, maybe another Left-Back that is better than Edun, along with others to compete with Coventry and Anderson as its depth we once again need to concentrate on... Who knows what'll happen with Dobson, so left his spot spare

Might even see Taylor being a big player there... McGrandles and Fraser, bye bye

We definitely need the creativity in the No.10 spot, its probably the big factor that is holding us back, even with this impressive run of results at the moment.

Striker is probably going to be the hardest position to fill in some ways, we've got some excellent options with Leaburn and Kanu proving their worth, and Aneke when possible.

This has clearly been the breakthrough year for Kanu and Anderson, so could well fill two of the slots in that starting eleven, but equally we still need another Striker to replace Ladapo, someone who can hold up the ball, yet has the movement of May and Kanu in an ideal world.
  • Options
    I don’t think the initial post is far off. NJ has said he likes a squad of 25 including 3 GKs. For 3-5-2 / 4-4-2 diamond I make that 2 for every outfield position plus a 5th striker (Chuks) leaving room for one more, perhaps a versatile player who could play in a few positions across the defence and midfield.

I think it’s likely we’ll bring in a new GK which probably means one of AMB and Isted moving on as neither are going to be happy as 3rd choice, never mind 2nd.

I can see Ness being released unless he ends up having a run in the team and impresses. It’ll be interesting what happens with Hector and Thomas, nothing would surprise me either way with them.

CM of course needs the most work with all the loan signings. I don’t see Camara signing permanently with his injury problems, while we’ll probably aim higher than Bakinson - there’s an obvious gap for a goalscoring attacking midfielder or two. Hopefully Fraser can be moved on quite quickly to free up the budget. I expect Campbell to go though we might offer a contract with the aim of getting some compete to his age. Realistically there’s no room for him in NJs formations.

Up front we need another physical hold up striker which would give competition for Leaburn to play alongside Kanu or May. Chuks is then our 5th striker, which with 7 subs isn’t an issue.

The other thing to consider is who’s next in line in the academy. At CB Mitchell and Laqeretabua signed longer term deals which shows they’re rated. Up front Casey and Mbick will want to progress too and are also on longer contracts than most their age. Hopefully we get the balance right without the 888 plan pushing any young players further ahead than they’re ready to be.
  • Options
    edited March 6
    https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/97573/updated-squad-list-17-february-2024#latest

Full current squad details here

McGrandles and Henry under contract for next season although imagine the club will want to move both on.

Thomas is one to keep for me.  Versatile and experienced in what might be an otherwise youngish side and enough of a leader to be captain last weekend.  Very underrated by many IMHO.  And the way NJ players with three CHs you need plently of cover at the back.

On wingers I wouldn't assume that Jones doesn't want any, it's just that at the moment he's not got much choice.

He wants "Game changers" off the bench and if we're to challenge at the top end of the table next erm we'll need players who can break down stubborn defences.    

Strikers who can play wide as well as centrally and have pace ala Karlan Grant would be ideal but they don't come cheap
  • Options
    Need to be careful of recency bias. Over the course of the season we’ve been miles off the pace and we need big improvements.

GK: Undecided. Isted is back from a long term injury. Hopefully a run of games will settle him down.

CB: I think we’ll see more change in defence. Thomas, Ness and Hector to leave and replaced with 2 first team quality CBs.

Wing-backs: Edun to leave and a replacement brought in.

CM: We pretty much know who’s leaving already. 3 replacements needed.

ST: One in to replace Ladapo. Two if Miles is sold.

I make that 6-9 incoming dependant on outgoings and the GK. One thing for certain is that they pretty much all need to be in the ‘Elite’ category of the 8-8-8 model.
  • Options
    Aneke is already contracted for next season
    It will be really interesting to see how the Aneke situation plays out over the next 12 months as we head towards the end of his contract. 
  • Options
    https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/97573/updated-squad-list-17-february-2024#latest

Full current squad details here

McGrandles and Henry under contract for next season although imagine the club will want to move both on.

Thomas is one to keep for me.  Versatile and experienced in what might be an otherwise youngish side and enough of a leader to be captain last weekend.  Very underrated by many IMHO.  And the way NJ players with three CHs you need plently of cover at the back.
    I think he has shown himself to be one to keep recently. Even before NJ came in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad someone started this thread. Personally I’m not getting carried away by our recent upturn in form. Yes Jones has installed some steel into our defending and our points haul and new found ability to grind out  something when previously we’d have lost is encouraging, but…… it seems to me that people are looking at what we have and suggesting with the addition of one or two we’ll be charging on next season. Apart from in short bursts our play hasn’t looked top six and I’ll be honest I don’t see it doing that. In fact at times we’ve looked bloody grim but found enough not to lose. We look to me exactly what our current squad is. Mid ish table league one. For me, I want to see an upgrade all over the pitch. Bring in five first team starters. The owners new found ? Willingness to spend encourages me that quality upgrades will be signed. What we have now with the addition of a GK and a Ladapo replacement doesn’t look to me anywhere like a top six team. 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    I agree we have to let a few go and bring a few in but I don't think the number we bring in has to be that great. We have a nucleus to build from. I don't think we can say what a top six team should look like as there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is still room for improvement but say Isted was good in our last two matches, that would be another two points (three wins in a row). And only 1 conceded. Then when you add the fact we have played Bolton and Derby away and Pompey at home in our unbeaten run and Lincoln have been the form team recently, what actually does a top six team look like? I would say in terms of us, one that makes few mistakes which whilst not perfect, seems to be happening without the additions. Two or three of the right type may be enough.
  • Options

This is how I see it. 

Hector is more expensive to keep than Thomas, and Thomas more versatile so I’d keep him as back up CB and let Hector go. Similarly at GK, if we are getting a new one then Isted will probably be the one to make way as he’ll be on a much higher wage than AMB. 

At wing back, I’d like to lose and replace Edun. Tennai Watson is 50:50 at the moment for me so one to judge between now and the summer, if he keeps playing like he is now then he can stay. Also not sure how good Ramsay is, so if he’s really good then Tennai will be fine as the second option 

Midfield will need overhaul, Anderson has been great but we do need an attacking midfielder to compete with him and add goals/creativity. If Dobson leaves we probably need 2 other midfielders. McGrandles might be worth a final go maybe, but I’m hoping we try and bring in a top quality first choice box-box midfielder to partner Coventry 

Then up front we need 1 to replace Ladapo, and then another to replace Leaburn if he’s sold 
  • Options
    The big ones for me are GK, 2 Attacking midfielders & a striker (2 if Leaburn goes).
  • Options
    I think it's an interesting one 

GK - I'd want an out and out first choice , wouldn't mind Isted as backup. 

CBs - happy with Jones,REG and Gillesphey with TT as cover , wouldn't expect Hector to stay so another senior CB for a back 3 would be a plus. Not sure about Ness and we have Mitchell to come back too. 

WBs - got no problems here with Ramsey and Small as starters , Edun I've been really disappointed by. T.Watson fine as cover. 

CMs- Taylor , Coventry and Anderson are here definitely , not sure what will ultimately happen with Dobson so have him as a question mark. Absolutely need another more creative option that can replace Fraser. 

Don't expect Mcgrandles and Henry to stay despite being under contract, Bakinson could be a useful squad option on a free. 

ST- Leaburn I don't think goes in the summer purely because of fitness, not been overly convinced by Ladapo and Chuks is a difficult one. So it's just ultimately who partners Alfie out of Kanu, Leaburn and probably a new striker. 

Would be getting Patrick Casey at least a National League loan. 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    If Jones is allowed carte Blanche on all things to do with the first team squad then we shall see another turn over which fingers crossed will see us move upwards 

Currently there are 10 players out of contract at the end of the season (3 of those out on loan and 2 with club options on an additional year)

5 players to return to their parent clubs

4 to come back to us from their loans and have more than a year left to run on their contracts 

A lot of change to happen once again but provided Jones is allowed with no interference to build then it looks good
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    If Jones is allowed carte Blanche on all things to do with the first team squad then we shall see another turn over which fingers crossed will see us move upwards 

Currently there are 10 players out of contract at the end of the season (3 of those out on loan and 2 with club options on an additional year)

5 players to return to their parent clubs

4 to come back to us from their loans and have more than a year left to run on their contracts 

A lot of change to happen once again but provided Jones is allowed with no interference to build then it looks good
    As you say if Jones is allowed to plan then he can build a decent squad. 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    I'm always amazed at how harsh people are on Terell Thomas. He's been really strong the past few games despite playing across all three of the CB spots under Jones already. He's trusted to push out right or left or hold the backline together in the middle and Jones made him captain when Dobson was rested. Jones also chose to keep him in for a must not lose match despite Lloyd being back so it's clear that Jones thinks highly enough of him. You can argue it doesn't say much but in a terrible season Thomas has been one of our more reliable performers throughout and he's growing now along with the others. I'd be really surprised if we didn't keep him. Hector though I think we'll be saying goodbye to. He's likely one of the more expensive defenders and he's very much the middle player in the 3, where Jones does not want a ball-player, he wants an eradicator. Jones will want to pick out someone who typifies his stance at the back and I reckon that person will replace Hector and compete with Lloyd in the middle. Gillesphey, REG and Thomas and one other whether it's Mitchell or a new player who will complete it. Ness is another middle of the 3 player and he should probably start thinking about where his next meal is coming from as he has not been good at all, which is a shame. Second season syndrome is real and I recommend we pray for Anderson and Kanu.

The one who should really be concerned is Edun. He hasn't looked good for any of the managers so far in any shape and he's not a Jones style wingback. Jones likes his wingbacks to be wingers who can put their foot in, Edun is a midfielder who isn't strong enough to hold the middle so gets to hide in wider areas and contribute from there. He's been extremely poor as a LB and when he was briefly LWB he didn't really look all that much better. A bit, but a player to bolster a midfield that needs an extra body, not a pacy wideman who can provide firepower from the flanks. Jones wants his WBs to widen the pitch and Edun instinctively narrows it. He'll either sit on the bench waiting for the end because no-one else can afford him or he'll go.

Up front Jones will want a hard-working bastard. Might be Leaburn fits the bill in which case we could do worse than May, Kanu, Aneke and Leaburn but there will need to be another. I always advocate for 5 strikers if you're playing with 2 (2 to start, 2 to cover injuries and loss of form, 1 to change the game from the bench when the injuries start to bite) and we've seen that Jones' style doesn't result in one striker bagging goal after goal, it gets shared around the frontline Curbs-style. I think we'll end up getting more like 5 goals from 5 strikers rather than another May run of goals. Aneke is a frustrating one because you can't have 6 strikers but it's hard to count him as a reliable 5th as well. We've got him though so we need another striker who can bully defenders, hold up the ball but also can show a turn of pace. Not easily found.

People still keep talking about the 10 position like we employ a 10. We don't. We play three battling centre mids. Two deeper to protect the middle and plug the gaps the WBs leave and one further forward to win the ball up high, competing for high balls and pressing defenders into making mistakes in their own half. Jones will want a player like Anderson who competes for everything and has a great engine, but with a bit more creative ability and the wherewithal to pounce on loose balls outside the box like the second coming of Johnnie Jackson. Another tough one to find but he'll know what he's after. There's a question mark over Bakinson as I don't think he's done very well as the deep midfielder and we won't want to go into a new season with Bakinson and Anderson as our advanced midfielders so he might end up going and not coming back. Dobson is apparently going so it's up to Taylor to try and make that spot his and we'll bring someone in to compete with him. The high-energy game Jones employs and his ruthlessness if someone has a bad game means we need a lot of rotation options in the midfield even if we're going for a smaller squad.

Let's not get carried away though, it was just one win. Need to confirm safety first!
  • Options
    A fair few comments about if Leaburn is sold, I’m not convinced he will be given he’s had a lengthy injury I think teams will want to see how he does and maybe wait until January instead? 

Lots of teams are concerned about FFP and I’m not sure how many would be willing to part with the wedge we may ask for without seeing if he recaptures his form first?
  • Options
    A fair few comments about if Leaburn is sold, I’m not convinced he will be given he’s had a lengthy injury I think teams will want to see how he does and maybe wait until January instead? 

Lots of teams are concerned about FFP and I’m not sure how many would be willing to part with the wedge we may ask for without seeing if he recaptures his form first?
    I could imagine a Premier League team offering £1.5M - £2M for him. Even with FFP that’s absolutely nothing to them and may be worth the gamble.