Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Aberdeen 29th July (NOTE 1PM KO)

edited July 2023 in General Charlton
Can’t see a thread on this but our big home game is against Aberdeen on Sat 29th July at 1pm. 

Comments

• Charlton will host Aberdeen, who finished third in the Scottish Premiership this season, at The Valley in a pre-season friendly on Saturday, July 29th (1pm KO BST)

The top-three finish for the Scottish side means the former UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup winners will play in Europe next season, either in the UEFA Europe League or the UEFA Conference League depending on results elsewhere.

Tickets for the game at The Valley will go on sale in June, with Charlton season ticket holders entitled to a discount on match tickets as part of this year's season ticket benefits

Manager Dean Holden said: “Our pre-season preparations have to put us in a position to start the season well. I’m really pleased that our final game of pre-season will be a good test for us at The Valley against an Aberdeen side who will be preparing for a European campaign as well as another challenging domestic season.

"Whenever I think of Aberdeen, I think of the success Sir Alex Ferguson had there. They are a huge club with a big history, so it will be a special occasion and importantly a good way to get us ready for the season ahead."

CEO Peter Storrie said: “We’re looking forward to welcoming Aberdeen to The Valley in July. They have had a fantastic season and should prove an excellent challenge for us in our final game before the start of the 2023/24 season.”

Meanwhile, the club can confirm that the pre-season friendly against Leyton Orient in Spain scheduled for Friday, July 14th, will take place at the Marbella Football Center in the Malaga region.

Confirmed 2023/24 pre-season friendlies:

Saturday, July 1st: Welling United v Charlton (3pm KO BST) - Park View Road 

Saturday, July 8th: Dartford v Charlton (3pm KO BST) - Princes Park 

Friday, July 14th: Charlton v Leyton Orient (10am KO BST) – Marbella Football Center

Saturday, July 29th: Charlton v Aberdeen (1pm KO BST) – The Valley

• my Nan was from Aberdeen and they were always my Dad's 'Scottish team'

but for me it's about as dull a fixture as we could've got, not that I get excited by PSF's anyway 

I suppose it'll be a half decent test.
  • "Whenever I think of Aberdeen, I think of the success Sir Alex Ferguson had there

Typical Holden, having to drag in a Man U connection  :D
  • Charlton v Aberdeen 

The battle of the best two club badges in British football 
  • Thats a new one - Well done to whoever managed to organise that
  • edited May 2023
    Good test against a similar League One side. Bar Celtic and Rangers it’s League one fare north of the border 
  • They will be well supported at the Valley.
  • shirty5 said:
    Good test against a similar League One side. Bar Celtic and Rangers it’s League one fare north of the border 
    Friendlies against Celtic or Rangers would never happened. Old bill would never allow it ever. We have tried before but would never get the go ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    Friendlies against Celtic or Rangers would never happened. Old bill would never allow it ever. We have tried before but would never get the go ahead.
    Didn’t mention that but fair point nonetheless 
  • edited May 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Brentford (then in League One) had a Celtic friendly in 2013, not sure how they could make it work and we couldn't. 
  • Unfortunately I am away on holiday but disappointed to be missing this one, much more interesting opponent then someone higher up the league in this country. 
  • Not a bad side to be against. finished 3rd in their region. Got European football next season, a play off but still not bad and of course its a big day out in the capital for them. 
  • Presumably Aberdeen don't charge a friendly appearance fee like an EPL club might. 
  • the news we've all been waiting for, Aberdeen eh. Some palms must have been greased to pull that one out the bag.
  • Their casuals will run our mob ragged.
  • Sponsored links:

• This will be a good day out I think 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    Brentford (then in League One) had a Celtic friendly in 2013, not sure how they could make it work and we couldn't. 
    How did that pan out? 🤔
  • Looking forward to this one...
    When and where was this @Cardinal Sin
  • shirty5 said:
    Rangers played at Blackpool last pre-season and took 8k fans so how come they were allowed?
  • 3rd day of the Ashes Test at The Oval.

Just saying.
  • shirty5 said:
    Rangers played at Blackpool last pre-season and took 8k fans so how come they were allowed?
    Anyone is ‘allowed’ to play pre season v both old firm teams, but most (especially us) won’t pay the silly appearance fees both clubs charge and also the horrendous policing bill that goes with such a fixture 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    Specific reasons why the ***tic friendly that was muted back in the mid 2000’s didn’t happen, police advice.
  • More away fans than home and kilted drunks terrorising old ladies in asdas toilets.
    Perfect.
  • More away fans than home and kilted drunks terrorising old ladies in asdas toilets.
    Perfect.
    It won't be old ladies they will be terrorising they will be out early looking for our lot guaranteed 
  • edited May 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Potential for risk would be ridiculous. Very likely would encourage all Millwall and Palace top boys to be active that day. Same reason if Rangers played Palace away. Can guarantee our ‘risk’ would be in attendance