Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Another who we have to ‘manage’ fitness wise. 
    Large, have you got that quote you attributed to the Sheff W manager, where you said he was injured?
    It would be great if you had a link because I haven't seen it, although I've not been searching.
    May have been referring to this one where it sounded like he was undergoing fitness tests, although could be interpreted in different ways: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-michael-hector-deal-26106592#amp-readmore-target
    Doesn't sound like he's match fit then. 

Or certainly not what Sheff Wed would call match fit. Whereas with us, if they can put on a pair of boots & lace them up without falling over then they are fit to start 90 mins.
    Do we even have a fitness coach?
    Nope.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Large, have you got that quote you attributed to the Sheff W manager, where you said he was injured?
    It would be great if you had a link because I haven't seen it, although I've not been searching.
    May have been referring to this one where it sounded like he was undergoing fitness tests, although could be interpreted in different ways: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-michael-hector-deal-26106592#amp-readmore-target

Or certainly not what Sheff Wed would call match fit. Whereas with us, if they can put on a pair of boots & lace them up without falling over then they are fit to start 90 mins.
    Nope.
    Ok. Cheers. Makes sense why some players are blowing out their arse on 75 minutes. I'm gonna start banging this drum relentlessly.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Nope.
    Ok. Cheers. Makes sense why some players are blowing out their arse on 75 minutes. I'm gonna start banging this drum relentlessly.
    We haven't had one for years.  I stopped banging that drum 2 years ago because I got sick of saying it.  It's laughable.
    When did Josh Hornby leave the club? 
  • Options
    I thought Hector was the standout player for Fulham in the nil nil game at The Valley a few years back.
  • Options
    For me, a centre back occupies the most pivotal position in the team. 

One slip costs you a goal and possibly the match, as expertly demonstrated by Ryan Inniss of late.  Hector may be good, he may be bad, but what is without question is that he is a huge risk, given his lack of game time over recent years. 

I would class any League One footballer as an elite athlete.  They are in a fiercely competitive field with fellow professionals seeking advantage in any way possible.  Opposition teams will be tasked to test his fitness and sharpness of mind. 

We are desperately short in this area.  Letting McConnell go has exacerbated the situation exponentially - and although Andy Scott and Dean Holden have talked the talk - I am still left wondering if they are as confident on the inside as they are on the outside.   
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    He played a big part in in Fulham's promotion season for sure (they signed him for £8m from Chelsea), but Parker clearly didn't fancy him in the Prem. He played all over the shop, one of many Chelsea players to do so. 
    At 30 he should have two or three decent seasons left in him at very least. Should easily be good enough at this level, when fit.
    https://www.oncloudseven.com/1032-michael-hector/

• Options
    Chunes said:

But we've not made any decisions at all. He's done fantastic in terms of what he's had to do until this point. We're taking our time.

"We've put him through a vigorous test and we've given him a few days (off) to rest and recover and then we can assess him and potentially try and move him to the next stage."

And while Hector was having a few days recovery, unknown to the Sheff Weds manager, he buggered off back down south to Sparrows Lane last week.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He is a very good player.

The fact the 3rd goal here happened to him (I remember a comment at the time being 'he has a family!') probably ruined him in many eyes, but it could have happened to anyone really

https://youtu.be/-biIQ2HIBUI

Let's imagine him in happier times! 
    I wouldn't really blame Hector for the 3rd goal.

It was a great turn and backheel from the Brentford player - Hector would have had to completely take him out to stop him there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    mendonca said:
    I'm sure a fan would have spotted and mentioned Hector, if he had been training with us for the past 3 months. 
    If he's been training anywhere for the last 3 months and is actually competent on any level, he'd have been playing & earning somewhere, National League even
    His total inactivity tells us all we need to know
    If Holden's still with us after Monday 6th, he's definitely in on the ruse, cos he's been critically undermined with this squad dismantling

My Fulham supporting colleague tells me MH was decent in their promotion season 19/20.  He's aggregated 15 appearances in the years since, none at all since summer '22 - nuff said
    Lavelle is a gormless plodder but there's no way MH can be relied on as an "upgrade".  O'Connell is an adequate 3rd division stopper - MH ain't been close to that in nearly 3 years.
  • Options
    It’s going to be all about fitness and perhaps even desire. He was a player that was well above league one level. He’s not crocked and he’s not old. He won’t have lost his positional play or ability but whether he can get fully match fit and when he does, be the player he used to be is the million dollar question. Holden says Hector keeps himself in good shape so I’m basing my optimism that this is a good signing on that.
  • Options
    It is what it is. Some decent pedigree but so was Harry Arter. If it turns out ok then great, but I won’t be holding my breath 

22/23 - 0 games
    21/22 - 4 league games
    20/21 - 4 league games

8 league games in 2 1/2 years 
    Should be fresh to play boss!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Why has he not been playing?
    Because, for 2 years, he was an unused sub for Fulham.  One premier league season, one championship promotion season.  Not exactly the daming accusation some are making it out to be.

Why hasn't he had a club since the summer?  Who knows. 

Somebody on here said he was injury prone! Obv not the case then.
    He could be a massive upgrade on EOC!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Because, for 2 years, he was an unused sub for Fulham.  One premier league season, one championship promotion season.  Not exactly the daming accusation some are making it out to be.

I can't find any evidence on the Internet that he has ever had anything more serious than a knock. 
  • Options
    We all realise that the Charlton fan base is unsurprisingly shot through with enormous cynicism but honestly this thread is taking things to another level…..Hector is taking a significant slagging off and the ink isn’t even dry. Get a grip people.
    Welcome Michael and lets hope that you/we have a good outcome during your stay with us. 🤞
    This.

At 30 if we could get him fit Hector will be an asset.

Who would have complained had we signed him rather than EOC in the summer?

Hopefully he can stay next season as part of a promotion squad. Like Bonne this can be an extended trial.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Nope.
    We haven't had one for years.  I stopped banging that drum 2 years ago because I got sick of saying it.  It's laughable.
    When did Josh Hornby leave the club? 
    Sorry only just seen this but he was at the club when Bowyer said we didn't have one so I assumed that is not what he actually is?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Fulham Forum:

Largely very positive:

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=89250.0

Have a soft spot for Charlton - my Uncle John was a big fan, although we lived in a Palace supporting area, but he came from down that way, and took me to the Valley a couple of times - this would have been late 50's/early 60's - I may even have began  supporting Fulham at that time, and have been several times since as a Fulham fan.

I was definitely impressed with the size of the Valley, and am very glad Charlton have managed to survive despite all your problems - long may you continue and prosper. A club with a proud history too.

Re Hector - yes, agree with above,  think he may have been player of the season for us in the Championship, but  sadly seemed out of his  depth in the Prem - I thought he had confidence problems then, too - maybe another manager would have helped.

But most definitely a top defender below Prem level, a  good signing for you I think.

All the best to you and your team.

Interestingly they don't seem to have likes or lols on their forum which I think is a good thing.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

I can't find any evidence on the Internet that he has ever had anything more serious than a knock. 
    How the hell does an outfield player go 2 1/2 years not injured playing less than 10 games???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be interesting to know how many times he was in a matchday squad at Fulham without being used. He could have been playing in the odd under 21 or 23 match to help his fitness. 
  • Options
    will be nowhere near 'match' fit, hasn't even had a club since May 2022.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

How the hell does an outfield player go 2 1/2 years not injured playing less than 10 games???
    He seems to have been a permanent substitute

Last season for example he started 4 games in the league, but was on the bench for another 29 without coming on! 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

Did this just include starts, or did he come on as a sub which isn't counted 

Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

He seems to have been a permanent substitute

Last season for example he started 4 games in the league, but was on the bench for another 29 without coming on! 
    Thanks
  • Options
    Remember Winston Bogarde who was happy sitting on Chelsea bench for 4 years making only 12 appearences. Mind you he was only on 40 grand a week. Lol

• Options
    something that i've been wondering - how many games does it actually take to get "match" fit? - what I mean is, it's different from coming back from an injury surely when there is added complications - but if a player has been consistently training, and to a premier league/championship level for a lot of it - surely after say 2 or 3 games to get back into the swing of things? I guess a lot of it depends on the individual professionalism of the player.
  • Options
    something that i've been wondering - how many games does it actually take to get "match" fit? - what I mean is, it's different from coming back from an injury surely when there is added complications - but if a player has been consistently training, and to a premier league/championship level for a lot of it - surely after say 2 or 3 games to get back into the swing of things? I guess a lot of it depends on the individual professionalism of the player.
    He was training at Dagenham and Redbridge most of his time out since May 2022.