Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Penney (a left back!!!) signs on loan from Ipswich Town

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    What we have to have is senior professionals in the squad. It isn't fair on the youth players to keep launching them in and expecting them to have the rough edges knocked off like a player with experience. 

I know nothing about him as a player but given he isn't afraid to travel to play games that tells me he has a strong character and a desire to play football. We often sign players who give me the opposite vibe, players who need everything in their favour to declare themselves fit for selection. Hope he does well for us 
    Think this is a really good post. 

Delighted to get someone in to fill a weak area, just concerned with Sess’s issue we’ll see even less of him in the run in as I think he’s one of our better players 
    I have Sess and Egbo as two of our best players this season. Such a shame that both have issues as we look so much stronger with both of them playing. 

The fact is, Sessegnon and Egbo have played together just 7 times and only on one occasion against Pompey at home, when in unison did they both average scores above 7 on the players marks.

In one game they both got 5's but when we lose many fans/critics take off around 1.5 marks as they are fed up. 

I understand where you are coming from James and It would be great if they were both fit and the full back shirts were worn on merit not just through necessity. 

Hopefully Penney can emulate his CV video.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Chizz said:
    Manager: "Penney" sounds a bit low-value. Can you give him a number that makes him sound a bit more valuable? 

Kit Man: *reaches for the 'two and six'*
    You youngsters, half a crown please! Let’s hope he’s not two Bob 😉
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:
    Manager: "Penney" sounds a bit low-value. Can you give him a number that makes him sound a bit more valuable? 

"Half a Crown" very posh!..get it right, 'arf a dollar, ok...😉
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    What we have to have is senior professionals in the squad. It isn't fair on the youth players to keep launching them in and expecting them to have the rough edges knocked off like a player with experience. 

I know nothing about him as a player but given he isn't afraid to travel to play games that tells me he has a strong character and a desire to play football. We often sign players who give me the opposite vibe, players who need everything in their favour to declare themselves fit for selection. Hope he does well for us 

Delighted to get someone in to fill a weak area, just concerned with Sess’s issue we’ll see even less of him in the run in as I think he’s one of our better players 
    I have Sess and Egbo as two of our best players this season. Such a shame that both have issues as we look so much stronger with both of them playing. 

The fact is, Sessegnon and Egbo have played together just 7 times and only on one occasion against Pompey at home, when in unison did they both average scores above 7 on the players marks.

In one game they both got 5's but when we lose many fans/critics take off around 1.5 marks as they are fed up. 

I understand where you are coming from James and It would be great if they were both fit and the full back shirts were worn on merit not just through necessity. 

what a load of rubbish
  • Options
    Only 150 comments. I wonder what others think. A Penney for your thoughts.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:

what a load of rubbish

It really isn't and I'm surprised you haven't noticed ?

When we lose, players marks go down and it doesn't always reflect the players personal performance. Not just on CL but on the BBC players marks it even more pronounced for the losing side but I accept it open to fans that may hate the clubs playing.

Thanks to your response @FishCostaFortune I believe the result is paramount in the players marks for many.

• Options
    now we have a left back and right back sorted it’ll be interesting to see whether Sean Clare will be deployed in midfield at all 
    In what way is RB sorted?  Kane and Egbo both out injured.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:

Half a crown?  Half, or better yet, 'arf, a dollar, I'll have you know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:

Couple of hours late with that one mate..😉
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:

what a load of rubbish
    I am not sure if it is, and it certainly makes for an interesting debate.

I wonder if for instance after our last game against Burnley, if those two shots that hit the bar had gone in, if posters would have been as positive about how hard our players worked off the ball? I feel it is rare that we lose a match (United as an exception) where players will get overall praise from the fan base.

You see it with Sean Clare. If we lose games, then a lot of criticism will be leveled at his effort - where I honestly believe he always gives 100% - but his inconsistency of performance is because of his ability and where he is playing.

I believe you mean Barnsley and the marks would've been lower if both those attempts had gone in instead of hitting the woodwork.

The Man United game was obviously an exception and the fact we reached 90 minutes against the form team in the Premier(with Arsenal) only one down.

• Options
    now we have a left back and right back sorted it’ll be interesting to see whether Sean Clare will be deployed in midfield at all 

Sessegnon is actually right footed is he not? I grant that we're very short of cover and one injury away from disaster (so what's new...) but we have actual fullbacks on each side until one gets injured.
  • Options

Sessegnon is a rightback. 

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:

Yep you snooze 😴 you lose 👎😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:

Arthur Dollar? Isn't his stage name Fifty cent?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chizz said:

Arthur Dollar? Isn't his stage name Fifty cent?
    ... Artful Dodger...😉
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:

what a load of rubbish

When we lose, players marks go down and it doesn't always reflect the players personal performance. Not just on CL but on the BBC players marks it even more pronounced for the losing side but I accept it open to fans that may hate the clubs playing.

Thanks to your response @FishCostaFortune I believe the result is paramount in the players marks for many.

Having been collating the marks for over 10 years I have to disagree with you, IMHO you are still talking rubbish with limited evidence to back your assertion
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:

what a load of rubbish

Having been collating the marks for over 10 years I have to disagree with you, IMHO you are still talking rubbish with limited evidence to back your assertion
    Looks like you may be on a sticky wicket there @soapboxsam...😉
  • Options

Sessegnon is a rightback. 

And also someone carrying an injury, a knee problem which has to be managed.

Indeed he seems to have become the new Inniss, the player where you worry about over playing him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Soapboxsam
    of course marks are less when we loose but that is due to the players not playing so well

I took your original remark to mean that no matter how a player played their mark would be 1.5 less when we loose which is rubbish as even in a loss some play well and still receive a higher mark - I could provide examples but I have better things to do
  • Options
     'The boys are on fire and I'm here to add to that momentum'...Matt Penney.
    That might be stretching it a little, Matt.
  • Options
    Soapboxsam
    of course marks are less when we loose but that is due to the players not playing so well

I took your original remark to mean that no matter how a player played their mark would be 1.5 less when we loose which is rubbish as even in a loss some play well and still receive a higher mark - I could provide examples but I have better things to do
    Football’s a funny old game Saint, and you can play very well and lose (Sheff Weds) and play quite badly and win (we’ve had a couple of those this season). In those instances the mark may well be affected by the result, if only a little. Whether it’s by as much as 1.5 per player I doubt, and it might well affect some players more than others. 
    But over the course of a season all these things equal out, and the average player marks give a very good analysis on how well they’ve performed. Big fan of the stats. 👍
  • Options
    If "the boys are on fire" you can be sure TS or Roland sold off the extinguishers. 
  • Options
    My son said to me he was out for 2 matches, is that just a rumour?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Motherwell FC @MotherwellFC · Nov 28, 2022 Winning for a second time. Matt Penney is your November player of the month