Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Penney (a left back!!!) signs on loan from Ipswich Town

Comments

• edited January 2023
    Decent signing, get Sess over to right back and if the Penney drops with Matt he could be our left back for the next couple of years 

That would make a change after the last decade.
    You do know this is the cursed position for Cafc, even before Wiggins and Page got crocked. Can he play some games before we go OTT.

I wish Matt Penney luck as he will need it.
    I can stop doing my Left footed Left back mantra now. (Hopefully 🤞)
    Chill out it was a joke 

When you said the next couple of years and not the next couple of games I must've realized it was a joke but the opportunity to go in studs high like Ryan Inniss after a first poor touch got the better of me. 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Sorry mate.

Now what ever happened to that other young Left footed Left back we had 🤔

Jacob Roddy!
  • Scoham said:
    He’s an attacking left back, not a Purrington style steady Eddie.

From the video below he likes to get forward and isn’t afraid to shoot from range.

An Ipswich fan said he’s not the best defender but good when freed up to attack.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/518999/matt-penney-doing-really-well/

https://youtu.be/5y2uZKh1l0w
    As expected just from looking at him and hearing him talk - smart price Andy Robertson of Liverpool
  • Scoham said:
    He’s an attacking left back, not a Purrington style steady Eddie.

From the video below he likes to get forward and isn’t afraid to shoot from range.

An Ipswich fan said he’s not the best defender but good when freed up to attack.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/518999/matt-penney-doing-really-well/

https://youtu.be/5y2uZKh1l0w
    Oh my, and people slag off TS music!! That is dreadful, I couldn't concentrate on the football.
  • A left footed left back.
    A what?  Since when did they exist?
  • JamesSeed said:
    “Top flight in Scotland”

So he has league two experience then.

Welcome Matt, I hope it works out for you 
    Ipswich payback for us taking Herman Hreidarsson, Matt Holland , Darren Bent … here you go have this crock of guff Charlton 
    Always look on the bright side of life…
    He may not be the messiah, but he is a left footed full back 👍
    I did say I hope it works out and he is a good player however due to the level of dross we have and have signed in recent times I will reserve my judgment until he has played ten games. 
  • Rumours on the other site we are under a transfer embargo. Seriously when will it end?
    EFL need to update their website then…

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/

It's not EFL, its Sandgaards embago
  • “Top flight in Scotland”

So he has league two experience then.

Welcome Matt, I hope it works out for you 
    I gather you don’t watch Scottish football.
  • Never sure when a team in the same league as you (Premier big guns aside) is happy to let a player go out on loan to a "rival". 

Prove my fears unfounded Matt. 
    I kinda share your concern, especially when Motherwell seemed keen to extend. But it may be that - and I’m serious - Ipswich dont see us as “rivals” this season. 
  • edited January 2023
    Kap10 said:
    FishCostaFortune said:
    bolloxbolder said:
    Rumours on the other site we are under a transfer embargo. Seriously when will it end?
    EFL need to update their website then…

It's not EFL, its a Sandgaardo 

• Sponsored links:

• Seems more of a wing back from what I can gather from Motherwell fans comments and utube.
    Maybe we will be moving to a 3-5-2?
  • Redrobo said:
    Seems more of a wing back from what I can gather from Motherwell fans comments and utube.
    Maybe we will be moving to a 3-5-2?
    I can't see it when JRS is one of our main goal threats and 4-3-3 has worked well. It also suits CBT and Campbell.
  • Never sure when a team in the same league as you (Premier big guns aside) is happy to let a player go out on loan to a "rival". 

I kinda share your concern, especially when Motherwell seemed keen to extend. But it may be that - and I’m serious - Ipswich dont see us as “rivals” this season. 
    Hence my quotation marks mate, I am not sure either... 
  • Richard J said:
    I am happy we have got a 'steady Eddie' type left back and look forward to seeing Sess on his natural right side. In some ways I would still like another naturally left footed player to ensure competition. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

He played in Town's 4-0 demolition of us on the last day of the season and they brought in both Davis and Greg Leigh in the summer. I am hoping like George Dobson being ditched by Sunderland that this will be a fresh start for him 
    Why would you be okay with a steady Eddie on the left but presumably not on the right? Both are equally important surely?!

I’m left footed so am possibly being overly sensitive…

No one realistically could think we are a concern to Ipswich. 
  • Carter said:
    What we have to have is senior professionals in the squad. It isn't fair on the youth players to keep launching them in and expecting them to have the rough edges knocked off like a player with experience. 

I know nothing about him as a player but given he isn't afraid to travel to play games that tells me he has a strong character and a desire to play football. We often sign players who give me the opposite vibe, players who need everything in their favour to declare themselves fit for selection. Hope he does well for us 
    Think this is a really good post. 

Delighted to get someone in to fill a weak area, just concerned with Sess’s issue we’ll see even less of him in the run in as I think he’s one of our better players 
  • edited January 2023
    What is this heresy a "left back"?!? Welcome addition, proper balance and has been playing.

Also good that we're getting our summer business done nice and early 😅
  • Sponsored links:

No one realistically could think we are a concern to Ipswich. 
    Why would Ipswich be worried? The fact is we were probably willing to pay a higher loan fee than Motherwerwell or anyone else interested. And from an opposition point of view we have to play Ipswich's rivals and there is probably a clause he can't play against us as well. 
  • Motherwell fans on Penney: 

• edited January 2023
    Looks like he has good energy and make’s positive decisions. Welcome Matt.(see what I did there)
  • Motherwell fan I asked: 'probably our player of the season so far but question marks ovwr him actually being able to defend'
  • He won't be any worse in the defensive sense than any option we have at LB aside from Sess (who sounds like another in the Innis/Aneke/Ledley King play and manage minutes game, sadly).
  • Ipswich payback for us taking Herman Hreidarsson, Matt Holland , Darren Bent … here you go have this crock of guff Charlton 
    Give the guy a chance for f.ck sake

Do you know who you are talking to ?
    That's oohaahmortimer who is the most consistent poster on CL.

He once made MR Motivater languid and Joe Wicks give up on doing exercise.

I agree I don't want Oohaah doing the cafc team talk but at least he doesn't set the bar too high; so low a limbo dancer can't get under it.

But he's one of our own ☹️
  • edited January 2023
    Penney signs for Two Bob Sandgaard

Just joking. Looks alright to me. 
  • in for a Penney, in for a £ .. welcome Matt and all the very best during your time as an Addick