Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    He gets us. 
    What does he get that other managers didn’t?
    Don’t ask me, I was making a facetious comment. 
    He gets the mood amongst the loyal fanbase. Gone out of his way to find this out himself.

Understands how downtrodden, dispirited and fed up we all are of how scurrilous owners have led to us having to  fight to save our club, whilst at the same time having to watch a poor team,with sub standard, uncommitted journeyman players.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He gets us. 
    What does he get that other managers didn’t?
    Don’t ask me, I was making a facetious comment. 
    He gets the mood amongst the loyal fanbase. Gone out of his way to find this out himself.

Understands how downtrodden, dispirited and fed up we all are of how scurrilous owners have led to us having to  fight to save our club, whilst at the same time having to watch a poor team,with sub standard, uncommitted journeyman players.
    Fair play to him for that but we have had many managers in the past under Sandgaard, ESI and Duchatelet who understood just the same as Holden does. 

• Options
    Really pleased Dean Holden has a new contract. 
    We have a mid table team on a good day or night and yesterday was a good night on a cold Tuesday Evening up North.

If with nothing to play for, Holden can motivate this team of Journeymen and youngsters and finish 11th then IF he is backed in the summer we may stop the stagnation and progress. 

The bandwagon of negativity is hard to stop as demonstrated on CL and at the Valley but in another mediocre season at least, Ness, Leaburn, AMB and Campbell have shown good signs and Kanu will get into goal scoring positions(and score 🤞) if given more cameo opportunities. I did curse young JRS when he didn't give the simple pass to Daniel last night to set him on his way. Ok he may have missed but he will 'make it' hopefully at Cafc. 

The reality is we are an established League 1 side and the Premier and Championship days are just history at present.

Dean Holden can succeed; let's hope TS/new owner can assist him in his and our ambitions of a return to the 2nd tier.   
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 
    P: 5 W: 3 D:2 L: 0 GF: 14 GA: 4 since this comment 😉.

We play well when we play for nothing  :)

Happens most seasons we end up going on a run when midtable is confirmed, odd really. 
  • Options
    Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 

Happens most seasons we end up going on a run when midtable is confirmed, odd really. 
    I think we’ve just had a run of ‘easier’ games and don’t really have our typical injury crisis - but as we’ve seen in the past, we have a habit of doing rubbish and not performing in ‘winnable’ games. 

I’m still not convinced, especially once we come up against top 6 teams, so I’ll be interested to see if we can keep this sort of consistency up.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Meh. 

I think we’ve just had a run of ‘easier’ games and don’t really have our typical injury crisis - but as we’ve seen in the past, we have a habit of doing rubbish and not performing in ‘winnable’ games. 

I’m still not convinced, especially once we come up against top 6 teams, so I’ll be interested to see if we can keep this sort of consistency up.
    We’re twelve points off the top six - so many more missed opportunities earlier in the season against the likes of Forest Green, Cheltenham, Port Vale, MK.

It certainly would’ve been helpful to pick up more points from games against Bolton, Derby, Sheff Wed and Plymouth because every match is worth three points.

But I’m just glad to see we’re finally looking like regularly beating teams below and around us. Long may that continue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Holden post match interview full of praise for the performance but tinged with a bit of heartache. 

He’s openly wondering why it’s taken us until this point to start playing like this.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Parkinson version 2.0.
    Yeah….he’s almost as bad as Southgate as well. 
  • Options
    Holden post match interview full of praise for the performance but tinged with a bit of heartache. 

He’s openly wondering why it’s taken us until this point to start playing like this.
    Yeah totally, there’s not been enough of this sort of performance - and not just this year. 

Quiet often we’ve pulled really battling strong performances against ‘better’ opposition and then completely failed to dominate in games where you really feel we should.

I’ll keep banging the drum around this, but for me this year is our major issue is when we have underperformed we’ve not managed to remain tight at the back and get those scrappy 1-0’s. Our defence has just been far to leaky for us to mount anything serious. 

It wouldn’t really see us anywhere near the automatics, but we could have been pushing top 6 if it was not for those 1-1’s - especially early in the season.
  • Options

I'll tell him why, it's win a new contract time. And it's easier to play when not under any pressure league position wise.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    We've been an average midtable League One side this year, that's why we've ended up.....in midtable. 

There's no whitewashing this season, we've been rubbish. 
    Played 39, won 13, drawn 13, lost 13 would tend to back this up…
  • Options
    Holden: played 18, won 8, drawn 4, lost 6 (1.55ppg)

Hayes: played 1, lost 1 

Garner: played 20, won 5, drew 9, lost 6 (1.2ppg)
  • Options

Yeah totally, there’s not been enough of this sort of performance - and not just this year. 

Quiet often we’ve pulled really battling strong performances against ‘better’ opposition and then completely failed to dominate in games where you really feel we should.

I’ll keep banging the drum around this, but for me this year is our major issue is when we have underperformed we’ve not managed to remain tight at the back and get those scrappy 1-0’s. Our defence has just been far to leaky for us to mount anything serious. 

It wouldn’t really see us anywhere near the automatics, but we could have been pushing top 6 if it was not for those 1-1’s - especially early in the season.
    Yep… the results below from a CAFC team at this level 🤢🤮

Charlton 1-1 Cambridge (23rd)
    Charlton 1-1 Forest Green (24th)
    Charlton 1-1 Oxford (20th)
    Charlton 0-2 MK (19th)
    Charlton 0-1 Cheltenham (16th)
    Charlton 1-2 Bristol Rovers (15th)

3 points from a possible 18…
    I remember Garnerball.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If we took Holden's PPG and spread it out over the course of the season we'd be in the dizzying heights of....10th. 
  • Options
    Excellent post match interview also.
  • Options

If we took Holden's PPG and spread it out over the course of the season we'd be in the dizzying heights of....10th. 

And only 3 points or so off the play-offs... not good enough no, but is that down to the manager or the players?
  • Options

Suggests that the squad is more likely to be the problem than the manager really. Not that we weren't thinking that already 
  • Options

And only 3 points or so off the play-offs... not good enough no, but is that down to the manager or the players?
    60 points, and with a genuine chance of making the playoffs as Bolton and Derby are both struggling
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Tbf if Garner had not lost Leaburn to injury those records would probably be a lot closer. Leaburn has also improved a lot which has benefitted Holden. I think both managers performed as expected with what they had, but the problem has been what they had to work with 
    I think that sums up all our managers over the last few years 
  • Options
    edited April 2023