Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - May 2024: Post-release interview with the SLP (p18)

Comments

• Options
    I recall a 0-0 home game against Cambridge where the Valley pitch was 100% mud. I think it was the late seventies.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Swap deal to keep George Dobson 😂 

• Options
    Both Thomas and Dobson have been positives for Charlton this season, whoever it is from Hungary doing their homework, and presumably operating according to restraints, is no mug.
  • Options
    When you’re playing FM and sign a friend and fellow countryman to help your signing settle in.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If Thomas is the answer, I am convinced that anything to do with promotion out of League One is not the question.

He has improved recently, for sure, but is not the standard of any defender we’ve had play for us any relative amount of games that have got out of this league.
    I wouldn’t mind him as 4th choice centre back and left/right back cover 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I need to check this one. I only saw one link, which said it is fake, he is intresting Orban's real club Puskas Akademy. The team that we meet tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 29
    If the owners are serious about going up, only Small (+ potentially Ramsey) should be a starter from the current defenders at the club. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If Thomas is the answer, I am convinced that anything to do with promotion out of League One is not the question.

He has improved recently, for sure, but is not the standard of any defender we’ve had play for us any relative amount of games that have got out of this league.
    For Thomas it’s the “he’d be a decent squad player argument”. I get both sides of it.

Looking at it in terms of the 888 plan, it’s the top 8 we need to prioritise in the summer.

For that reason there’s a good argument for keeping Thomas. Should be reasonably cheap, he’s versatile and settled here. It would be pointless wasting budget to sign a similar player as back up who’s potentially more expensive and a bigger risk.

It’s having enough top 8 worthy players that’ll turn us into a promotion winning side, not whether a squad player is slightly better than Thomas. Powell and Bowyer took us up with plenty of ordinary L1 players playing a part, i.e. similar level to Thomas. The main difference was they had several top players who were comfortably Champ standard by the end of the season.

For me it comes down to what else is out there, wages and length of contract. It’s working out if he’s the best option as a squad player.
  • Options
    He was a bit off today but was still one of our better players. One dreadful moment on the ball but had the gumption to immediately foul and take the yellow 
  • Options
    So I heard, that is only an agent stuf. Just want to push up his wage, by use our name. 

I don't know the Academy thing is real, but that team is shit, ne history, no supporter, middle of Orban's village. Only the wage is high.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Charlton fan, ex-ballboy at The Valley, came through the Academy ranks, wants to be here.

Maybe we need better and more dominant to be a 'rock' to build the defence around, but since Christmas he's proved to be consistently our most reliable CB.
    We could do much worse than keep a useful defender who can play anywhere across the backline.

👍
  • Options
    Nathan Jones has consistently picked TT which is definitely an indication that he rates him, out of our current CB options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kindly update. The intrest of the Puskas Academy is real. 

I thinking about that one of the agency offer some players to the hungarian market. 
  • Options
    Thomas is our best defender, which says more about Charlton as a whole rather than Thomas himself I guess. He had a bit of a shaky game yesterday, but who didn't really. He's been pretty effective at the centre of a three recently, but was moved to a less comfortable position to accommodate Hector...who is useless, but a bit more of a "name", so people inexplicably rate him higher than Thomas, who's the better defender. Kinda agree we should aim higher, but I very much doubt we'll be signing a whole new defence this summer, in which case I think they might offer him something.
  • Options
    We can’t hang on to Hector, Thomas, Ness otherwise it’s just the same old, same old and look where that has got us. I’d keep Ness as he’s young and cheap and in my opinion will come good but needs a season out on loan. Of Hector and Thomas I’d rather bin both but if I had to keep one it would be Hector.
  • Options
    As others have said, getting that group of 8 top end League One players right will be the key. Right now we have May, arguably, who falls into that category. Maybe Leaburn will if he returns from injury without any long term effects, but I’d rather leave him in the group of 8 academy players for now. Coventry I think can grow into a top player at this level but he’s not quite there yet. REG and Small maybe too.  Dobson looks likely to be gone.

We’ll need to sign at least 5 or 6, maybe 7 very good players for this level. That will be a lot of key players to settle in and I expect there will be some churn in that middle 8 of solid League One players too because NJ will want to tweak thing to suit how he wants to play.

You do want to maintain some continuity to help new players settle so having someone like Thomas who knows and likes the place will have benefits other than his contribution on the pitch. And his versatility is a big selling point when we have a questionable record with keeping key players fit and NJ says he wants to run a smaller squad next season. 
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Sage said:
    Surely Thomas is not the answer, we’ve been stuck in this shite league for so long people are a becoming used to mediocrity. Don’t doubt his commitment and he seems a nice guy but he’s not good enough for a promotion side 
    This all day long.

Personally don’t get the whole he’d be a good squad player argument either. But that’s me.

He’s been part of a defence that over the last two seasons will have conceded more than 130 league goals. He’s an average League One player.

We should not be resigning him for another season to be 4th choice or a ‘squad player’. What we need is better quality players who push each other and can compete at the top end of this league.

He’s not dominating in the air, he’s generally poor on the ball, he’s not incredibly strong or quick. I am convinced people like him because he’s local, passionate, and they’re unsure what is his preferred foot and because of that he plays across the defence. For me, that’s not enough to warrant a new deal in what needs to be a season of real intent to go and win promotion.
    Could say the same about Ladapo who I remember you saying we should sign permanently fairly recently? Different position but we want similar qualities in our strikers too.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Both Thomas and Dobson have been positives for Charlton this season, whoever it is from Hungary doing their homework, and presumably operating according to restraints, is no mug.
    Signing players from a struggling 3rd division team fighting relegation.
  • Options
    Fairly versatile and unlike many of our current squad, nearly always available!