Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - May 2024: Post-release interview with the SLP (p18)

Comments

• Options
    He's always looked ropey for us at centre back, he was completely out of favour until we needed him to cover at left back and he did surprisingly well. Remember, he was 90% out the door on January deadline day before Wrexham came in for O'Connell. He's an aggressively average backup left back, if Edun could stay fit I don't think we'd need to think about him as much.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Except Edun has looked even worse in nearly every game he's played for us. 
  • Options
    Fourth choice at best for me. Nowhere near good enough for where we hope to be.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think he's another one stealing a living
    Harsh. He isn't great but doesn't hide. I can't dig out players who try but just aren't at the level they need to be. Don't think he did much wrong yesterday tbf 
    He's crap and re signing him was an acceptance of mediocrity 

Generally agree and I wouldn't have re-signed him. But you can't dig out a player giving their best just because it is not good enough. That is on our recruitment team is my view.
    Others, who Shirk away and hide... Different story.
  • Options
    He tries Thomas, isn't his fault someone offered him a job. 

Very limited but I can't give a player too much stick who at least puts a shift in, we of course need better however and I think the majority of us acknowledged that before the season started.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Gribbo said:
    Harsh. He isn't great but doesn't hide. I can't dig out players who try but just aren't at the level they need to be. Don't think he did much wrong yesterday tbf 
    I wouldn't hide, but you definitely wouldn't want me in the side. 

Reckon he's another CL phenomenon; I don't know another supporteraway from here who rates him
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    He's crap and re signing him was an acceptance of mediocrity 
    ☝️
  • Options
    Holden planned to play 3 at the back, which suits Thomas. But now we are playing a back 4 he isn’t good enough at full back or as a centre back in a 2. Abankwah has the same problem 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Captained Saint Lucia the other day, and scored... They lost 2-1 at home to Sint Maarten in the CONCACAF Nations League
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Holden planned to play 3 at the back, which suits Thomas. But now we are playing a back 4 he isn’t good enough at full back or as a centre back in a 2. Abankwah has the same problem 
    Right this is spot on. As a LCB in a back three he looked decent, solid on the ball, two footed, mobile for this level, and can defend a lot more on the front foot with two other CBs beside him--which seems to be what he does best.

In a back four he's never looked great. I think he's looked alright at LB, not special but not nearly as bad as some make out.

My feeling when we signed him was "can do a job at LCB in a back three and generally provide CB and LB cover." And that's basically what he's done. But given we're not playing a back three I wouldn't mind if he moved on in January and we brought in a left sided defender who is either a natural LB or left footed and can play in a back two and LB. 

I think Thomas is an example of why we need a head of recruiting who is focused on building a team that can play together and then bringing in managers who can play that way, and not recruiting for each manager we bring in and then needing to undo some of that because players don't fit the style of a new manager.

It's particularly true with our lack of a natural RW and LB cover this season. Holden clearly didn't intend to play with wingers and then abandoned the 3-5-2 almost right away. As a result we've had to play Tedic, Kanu, and Leaburn out of position there, and now we're finally settled on TC/May doing decent jobs in an unnatural role. Holden was planning to play CBT at LWB and have Edun as cover, but as soon as we went to a back four we didn't really have LB cover. I do think it's to Thomas' credit that he's filled in there alright, and now having Edun back and seeing Watson play there I feel much more confident (even if I have serious hesitations about Asiimwe's defending). But as I said in the summer and continue to say, we have a lot of quality in our squad but we also have some glaring holes and generally not all of our best players are designed to play together.

Also, I generally like Thomas, he seems like a nice guy and everyone says he's good to have around the place. It's nice that he's come back and had some time in the first team, I rated him when he was coming through the youth ranks. It hasn't worked out superbly, but I also don't feel he's let the side down. I expect he and Abankwah won't be here on Feb. 1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like Thomas and it's strange he's never nailed down his own starting spot. He's very capable in almost every situation. 
  • Options
    He’s solid, he’d be in my XI right now. 
  • Options
    I think Thomas might actually be our best centre back..
  • Options
    Looked very steady recently, has to start Saturday. 
  • Options
    You wonder how good or bad a defender is individually , or are their performances a sum of all of the parts in the back 3 or 4 ?  Jones has looked awful since Hector hasnt been playing , whilst TT has seemed to have improved. Or this may that we are now playing 3 at the back rather than a back four with TT playing left back. 
  • Options
    Keep him and play him.
    He's the only consistently competent defender we have. 
  • Options
    Looked solid as soon as he’s been put back as a CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The best of a bad bunch imo
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    The best of a bad bunch imo

Charlton played 51 minutes in the 2nd half without conceding when Thomas his two CB partners and the 2 full backs aided by Dobbo and Coventry were looking more secure.
    Appleton suddenly decided to go gung ho and after the crazy sending off of Edun hooked both Watson and Coventry.
    This was suicide by Appleton and hopefully that point lost won't cost Cafc at the end of Season.

18 games to save this clubs future because we can't survive on 5k crowds in League 2.
  • Options
    Really come into his own the past 2 months
  • Options
    Improved a lot recently, fairly solid in defence and comfortable on the ball and stepped up in LJ's absence last night.  Now lets see if NJ can get him to improve his passing which is still poor given his ability to bring the ball out of defence - he needs to be linking up play far better.
  • Options
    Very versatile, which makes him a manager's dream, as the saying goes. He's played right across the back 5 in the last few weeks, regularly shifting around the defence when subs are made.

Being captain last night would have been a proud moment for him, especially on such a great night for the club.
  • Options
    edited February 28
    I am not a massive TT fan but he has had some good games of late. Jones seems to like that he has some pace and can bring the ball out.

Still not sure if I would re-sign him as think we still need better if we are to push on but in Jones we trust. 
  • Options
    Barnsley away he was great, along with Hector. Next week he was dropped. I'm not his biggest fan, but you know you'll get 100% when he pulls on the shirt. Flemming and Pearce stuck him straight back in the side and Jones has shown faith, particularly making him captain, so let's hope he repays that. Pleased for him as he's very rarely played in his natural position while here