Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    One other small tip: if you have an open hearth that's never or rarely used, block up the flue. We have one that I noticed last night had a cascade of freezing air pouring into the room. I've blocked it with some packaging padding and it's made a real difference in this freezing weather. Old crystal palace shirts are ideal for this purpose.
    If you light fires occasionally, remember to unblock it first, though a room full of smoke will soon jog your memory!

In addition, ensure you put the Palace on the top, with the Millwall in the middle.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    One other small tip: if you have an open hearth that's never or rarely used, block up the flue. We have one that I noticed last night had a cascade of freezing air pouring into the room. I've blocked it with some packaging padding and it's made a real difference in this freezing weather. Old crystal palace shirts are ideal for this purpose.
    If you light fires occasionally, remember to unblock it first, though a room full of smoke will soon jog your memory!
    Someone suggested have a string hanging from the packaging so you can see & are reminded.
    Ah, the old chimney tampon.  
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    This may come as a shock, but not all properties have gas.
    Many flats are electric only

Many rural properties are the same although there is often the option of LPG. We were oil but I'm now 100% electric.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    R0TW said:
    Not a shock, but never seen a house without gas. 

Have seen flats without it, but never a house. 

My mistake having owned a flat with gas CH was to forget the ones we viewed and were put off of for not having gas CH.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    R0TW said:

Many rural properties are the same although there is often the option of LPG. We were oil but I'm now 100% electric.
    Isn't electric CH less efficient? Unless you're getting the best (and super expensive) options.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    bobmunro said:
    R0TW said:

Isn't electric CH less efficient? Unless you're getting the best (and super expensive) options.
    This maybe the case Dazz but at lot of people don’t have a choice especially as Bob has pointed out in the rural areas. A mate of mine bought a property with no gas and set a fair way back from the country lane it was in up a long drive. He was quoted £42,000 to install a gas pipe.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Mate of mine who lives in the sticks has just ordered 2000 litres of oil at 86p a litre. Mind he does have 7 acres of land and the River Loddon running through the bottom of his garden so think he can afford it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    R0TW said:
    Not a shock, but never seen a house without gas. 

Have seen flats without it, but never a house. 

My mistake having owned a flat with gas CH was to forget the ones we viewed and were put off of for not having gas CH.
    My dad lives in an 80’s build in chislehurst and he doesn’t have gas. Storage heaters do the job for him perfectly. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160

After reading this, prices are unlikely to fall. 

Is this true? Assume so as it would be deflation.

Was high inflation in the 70s and 80s  more or less reflected in similar wage rises?

With most sectors getting 5% pay rises, if they are lucky, and the thinking that higher wage rises cause more inflation, how are most ever going to get back on track for years, even if inflation does slow down (especially when food inflation is 16%)?

Disregarding the public sector, where obviously the government have to balance the books somehow, is it just greed and profit that more companies won’t give nearer to inflationary pay rises?

Was it fairer 40 years ago? Or isn’t it that simple?
    I remember going on strike in 1979 for ten or eleven weeks, over pay. I was on a tiny wage and could barely pay my rent or eat properly. During the strike I got a bit of work in a record shop for a few weeks, (the hourly rate was better than in my tv job and kept me going). 
    The annual inflation rate in ‘79 was 13.4% & the ITV companies (who were making record profits) made a 9% pay offer. The unions rejected this, wanting 25% arguing that their members' pay over recent years had been eroded by inflation. (Inflation peaked at about 24% in ’75, and wages of course didn’t keep up). Mortgage rates were rising horribly, as I think were petrol prices. 
    In the end we settled for around 17%.
    (The one benefit of inflation was that over time your mortgage became less significant.)
    Give lower paid people pay rises and they tend to spend the extra cash on retail and eating out and drinking. Nice boost for the economy. 
  • Options
    the whole "paying people" not to use electric thing is fucking terrifying. it's black mirror stuff. - what the actual fuck??
  • Options
    Won’t they then just use the electric they were going to use at 6pm anyway?
  • Options
    the whole "paying people" not to use electric thing is fucking terrifying. it's black mirror stuff. - what the actual fuck??
    And BBC had a live text page for it 
  • Options
    Horrendous gap between the rich and poor in this country and I do wonder how those on low wages or limited benefits keep going. Hopefully prices will settle down.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Won’t they then just use the electric they were going to use at 6pm anyway?
    Yes, but the idea is to reduce demand at the time it is normally at a peak. It smooths the demand over a longer period.
  • Options
    The posts by MIA and Red are shocking to read. I think in general people are unbelievably very relaxed about this unbelievable rise in energy costs but I suspect that attitudes won’t last into next winter. Food prices set to continue to increase even though inflation next year set to decrease towards around 6%. Wage stagnation for some years. Food Inflation and increases in interest rates plus energy costs are seriously going to piss people off eventually. 
    So just what does it take in 2023 for Joe Public to get a little bit angry about something that is affecting a large proportion of the population?
    We, as a nation,  seem to have become very docile since the 1970s, when having no sugar to put in your tea at work seemed to trigger a mass walkout.
    I don't know if we have given up or if the apathy is that thick in this country people don't bother - the student fees protests in 2010 were a big thing at the time and were reported on a lot but had 0 success and it seems nowadays the government have such a strong stranglehold on the media outlets that protests/strikes get reported on incredibly negatively or barely reported on at times too. Add in that the government is currently actively attempting to criminalise protests tells you, which is criminal in itself imo.

As a comparison - the French are currently striking at a proposed rise of the state pension age to 64 from 62. The state pension age will rise to 68 in 2044/2046 in the UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The posts by MIA and Red are shocking to read. I think in general people are unbelievably very relaxed about this unbelievable rise in energy costs but I suspect that attitudes won’t last into next winter. Food prices set to continue to increase even though inflation next year set to decrease towards around 6%. Wage stagnation for some years. Food Inflation and increases in interest rates plus energy costs are seriously going to piss people off eventually. 
    So just what does it take in 2023 for Joe Public to get a little bit angry about something that is affecting a large proportion of the population?
    We, as a nation,  seem to have become very docile since the 1970s, when having no sugar to put in your tea at work seemed to trigger a mass walkout.
    Considering that most people with fuck all, are some home now Tory voters, it won't happen any time soon. 
  • Options
    Macron stood on a ticket of increasing the retirement age and got elected.
  • Options
    I don't know if we have given up or if the apathy is that thick in this country people don't bother - the student fees protests in 2010 were a big thing at the time and were reported on a lot but had 0 success and it seems nowadays the government have such a strong stranglehold on the media outlets that protests/strikes get reported on incredibly negatively or barely reported on at times too. Add in that the government is currently actively attempting to criminalise protests tells you, which is criminal in itself imo.

As a comparison - the French are currently striking at a proposed rise of the state pension age to 64 from 62. The state pension age will rise to 68 in 2044/2046 in the UK.
    That’s crazy, especially if you do a physical job. I could have retired at 60, but worked an extra year to boost my pension. Back and shoulder issues meant I wouldn’t have physically been capable of working any longer after that without having had to take regular sick leave. 
    Genuinely feel for young people. Everything seems to get worse for them year after year. When many of us were growing up in the sixties it felt like life was getting better, all the time, in the words of the song. 
  • Options
    I can’t see why anyone would elect someone who’s going to steel your pension and I can’t see why people lol having the pension and retirement taken from them.but if you really don’t mind losing your pension money please send it me I’ll spend it for you might be able to retire early. Dm if you want to fund my early retirement thanks 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    When you see god ask him. Where your pension went. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I agree. Perhaps all the empty rage is vented about trivia on the internet and there's no energy left to actually protest about important things in real life.
    Relaxed? People not seriously pissed off? People aren’t angry? Empty rage? No energy to actually protest? Are you sure about that?

Striking is a form of protest and there are plenty of those at the moment.

• Options
    When you see god ask him. Where your pension went. 
    the pension hasnt gone...