Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• Options
    Probably like everyone else’s, my mums monthly gas and electric bill has doubled to just under £500 a month.

Shes only got £700 - £800 quid coming in a month. 

Prices are due to go higher in march I think , and if they keep going up, she said she’ll have to dip into savings.

I dread to think of elderly people across the country being frightened to turn their heating on , and the anxiety it will cause.
    I have sadly had to come out of just 1 years retirement and go back to work on just over minimum wage, so I can pay mortgage and power bills. In the last few months, together they have increased by £800 pm, my OAP pension is £784pm...savings were being used just to survive!
  • Options
    Probably like everyone else’s, my mums monthly gas and electric bill has doubled to just under £500 a month.

Prices are due to go higher in march I think , and if they keep going up, she said she’ll have to dip into savings.

I dread to think of elderly people across the country being frightened to turn their heating on , and the anxiety it will cause.
    I have sadly had to come out of just 1 years retirement and go back to work on just over minimum wage, so I can pay mortgage and power bills. In the last few months, together they have increased by £800 pm, my OAP pension is £784pm...savings were being used just to survive!
    Mums 83 Red, with really poor mobility, and really poor health, so returning to work is not an option, I dread to think how retired people without decent pensions are coping with this.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    The posts by MIA and Red are shocking to read. I think in general people are unbelievably very relaxed about this unbelievable rise in energy costs but I suspect that attitudes won’t last into next winter. Food prices set to continue to increase even though inflation next year set to decrease towards around 6%. Wage stagnation for some years. Food Inflation and increases in interest rates plus energy costs are seriously going to piss people off eventually. 
  • Options
    My mum is in social housing and on state pension. She is ill in bed at home and refusing to turn the heating on due to cost. Says she has an electric blanket.

Bloody concerning. 

Time for change. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I've had to move back in with my parents due to rising costs (both for myself and my parents) as my Dad lost his job before Christmas and helping them out by paying a bit of rent rather than paying a private landlord is the lesser of two negatives.

I'm 26 and am struggling to see a future for myself in the UK, I'm working (and saving) my arse off and getting nowhere, it just all seems so bleak. 
  • Options
    War isn’t cheap, at that seems our Gov’s main focus for the past year. 
    People on prepay meters - paying the highest tariffs and among the poorest, I don’t know how they are going to get through the rest of Winter. 
  • Options

Mums 83 Red, with really poor mobility, and really poor health, so returning to work is not an option, I dread to think how retired people without decent pensions are coping with this.
    @Mendonca In Asdas  it must be very worrying for your mum. I also get a small private pension, but if I didn't return to work I would only be able to pay bills, but not buy any food! My wife has a small PT job as a cleaner in a gym, on minimum wage, but she starts at 3.30am until 8am M-F. 
    We are thinking of selling up, and moving, but the equity we had in our house has reduced by £20k after the Truss budget!
    What annoys me, and yes I've made financial mistakes in the past, is I had fought hard to get to a position that my mortgages would be paid off in 4 years time, we had some savings, not much but adequate for emergencies, and it's all gone tits up.
    I've been working for 52 years before I retired, paid all my taxes and NI contributions, I've looked back and they work out about £400k over the years, and in return I get less than £200 pw in OAP! I'm absolutely gutted, but there is nothing I can do, but go back to work.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I don’t know if it’s true or accurate, but I read an article saying that if you wanted a good standard of living in retirement, that you needed to put 12.5% of your salary away into a pension, I wish I’d read it 35 years ago!

Red, I’m sorry to here of your situation, my dad, bless him had to pack up work at 50, due to health and disability issues, I guess if he’d been able to work longer, mum would have been better off now, she too had to pack up work at the same time to care for him, so a double whammy of loss of income, no wonder she’s so stressed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comment for all fit healthy adults( i.e. not elderly, not suffering longterm illnesses,disabilities, or families with young children). Just turn your gas heating/water off. This reduces demand for gas, reduces your bill, and will ultimately reduce prices for all.(Supply and demand).
    The extra that hard up people pay for being on pre-paid meter is cruel, the domestic energy subsidy was poorly thought out, should have been geared to people in difficult circumstances/colder parts of the country- why should someone heating a large house or swimming pool get more than elderly in a small house?( discount on all units of heating vs discount up to a certain threshold).
    My December bill for gas and electric was £540, so £600 without the Government discount. Thats with turning the heating down (and new condensing boiler in Sept £3500). However we have a granddaughter 2yr old who comes to stay 2 days a week when the heating is on 5-8 hrs (when cold) and Christmas/ Boxing Day when we had it on most of the time.
  • Options
    I suspect I’m one of the lucky ones at present. I’m still on a fixed energy tariff that expires august 2023. That gets me through this winter. I retired early from NHS in 2016 but went back part time to help with the pandemic, vaccinating. That ended recently
    and instead of retiring again I’m now doing two days a week working in phlebotomy because of shortages in staffing. I don’t get paid very highly but even those two days salary are worthwhile while prices for everything are soaring. Next winter I’ll be working two days a week just to finance my energy costs which because of several factors I think are above average. I suspect that there are a lot of people making a lot of money out this. Something has to change.
  • Options
    I reach state pension age this summer and am already receiving a private pension. My husband retired 3 years ago and has a small private pension. We live in rented accommodation and if we wish to stay in this property, which we do, I will have to continue working part time.

If I want to retire completely, we will have to move north, possibly Lincolnshire, where rents and council tax are much lower. Rents in the south east are so high now. We had hoped to retire to the Kent coast or the Isle of Wight, but there is a lack of rental properties in those areas, because landlords find they can make more money by renting their property via Airbnb

We are still on a fixed energy rate which started in June 2021 and finishes in June 2023, so we've not yet had to pay the huge increase, but I'm dreading what the revised bill will be. I did however see that one of the forecasting companies is suggesting that gas prices will fall this summer, I hope that they are right.
  • Options
    I don’t know if it’s true or accurate, but I read an article saying that if you wanted a good standard of living in retirement, that you needed to put 12.5% of your salary away into a pension, I wish I’d read it 35 years ago!

Red, I’m sorry to here of your situation, my dad, bless him had to pack up work at 50, due to health and disability issues, I guess if he’d been able to work longer, mum would have been better off now, she too had to pack up work at the same time to care for him, so a double whammy of loss of income, no wonder she’s so stressed!
    Back in the day when my ex-employer used to have a defined benefit pension scheme they used to contribute around 29% of your salary into the pension fund - more for women as they live longer. (The %age figure varied annually depending upon the performance of the underlying investments in the fund.)  Reminding us about the pension costs and in fairness it was non-contributory for us staff, was a regular tactic  they used when explaining why our salaries were so low in comparison to competitor businesses.

But on that basis I would say 12.5% would be a bare minimum.
  • Options
    Ordinary grocery shopping by my estimation has become more expensive by 10-15%.
    I don’t buy particularly expensive stuff, but for example a cauliflower that was quite recently around 70p is now 95p.
    I am keen on Aldi and Lidl, but prices there have also (as well as Sainsbury’s) risen by the 10-15% in my experience.
    Dreading my fixed tariff finishing at the end of August.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don’t buy particularly expensive stuff, but for example a cauliflower that was quite recently around 70p is now 95p.
    I am keen on Aldi and Lidl, but prices there have also (as well as Sainsbury’s) risen by the 10-15% in my experience.
    I think your estimates of 10% - 15% are a little low.
  • Options
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the falling cost of fuel .1.45 for petrol where I am 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the falling cost of fuel .1.45 for petrol where I am 
    Average price about 151 in Orpington. 

I reckon the money given to people this winter to help with the cost of Gas and Electric will have to be extended to next winter otherwise some people will just not be able to cope.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    1.36 for petrol down here in Medway | 157.7 for diesel
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've posted before the difference in fuel between Warrington and Wrexham where I'm contracting at the moment. Diesel in Warrington Asda £1.66, Wrexham independent £1.55. 45p a gallon difference. Absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think your estimates of 10% - 15% are a little low.
    Yes.
    I was guesstimating based on my perception when shopping.
  • Options
    Re electricity bills ( I dt have gas) 

My monthly bill has risen from 75 per month to 125 over the last 2 years I now get 66 back meaning my monthly cost is 59 ..so in effect I pay 16 less than I did 2 years ago.I expect there are others in this position. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

My monthly bill has risen from 75 per month to 125 over the last 2 years I now get 66 back meaning my monthly cost is 59 ..so in effect I pay 16 less than I did 2 years ago.I expect there are others in this position. 
     What kind of CH and HW system do you have? I don't get how you can get by without Gas. 
  • Options

@Mendonca In Asdas  it must be very worrying for your mum. I also get a small private pension, but if I didn't return to work I would only be able to pay bills, but not buy any food! My wife has a small PT job as a cleaner in a gym, on minimum wage, but she starts at 3.30am until 8am M-F. 
    We are thinking of selling up, and moving, but the equity we had in our house has reduced by £20k after the Truss budget!
    What annoys me, and yes I've made financial mistakes in the past, is I had fought hard to get to a position that my mortgages would be paid off in 4 years time, we had some savings, not much but adequate for emergencies, and it's all gone tits up.
    I've been working for 52 years before I retired, paid all my taxes and NI contributions, I've looked back and they work out about £400k over the years, and in return I get less than £200 pw in OAP! I'm absolutely gutted, but there is nothing I can do, but go back to work.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

But thankfully our system isn't you get out based on what you paid in. Otherwise the wealthy would be getting a huge state pension and those who need it most next to nothing. TBF £200 a week on the average life expectancy is probably north of £200k alone (and our taxes pay for much more than state pension).

I assume everyone has adjusted their systems, turning down the boiler temperature can really help, turning off radiators and closing doors on rooms not used. I'm forever moaning at my daughters, lights on everywhere as well as 101 things plugged in and on even when not home! Closing curtains helps retain heat.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    One other small tip: if you have an open hearth that's never or rarely used, block up the flue. We have one that I noticed last night had a cascade of freezing air pouring into the room. I've blocked it with some packaging padding and it's made a real difference in this freezing weather. Old crystal palace shirts are ideal for this purpose.
    If you light fires occasionally, remember to unblock it first, though a room full of smoke will soon jog your memory!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    One other small tip: if you have an open hearth that's never or rarely used, block up the flue. We have one that I noticed last night had a cascade of freezing air pouring into the room. I've blocked it with some packaging padding and it's made a real difference in this freezing weather. Old crystal palace shirts are ideal for this purpose.
    If you light fires occasionally, remember to unblock it first, though a room full of smoke will soon jog your memory!
    Someone suggested have a string hanging from the packaging so you can see & are reminded.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    lolwray said:

What kind of CH and HW system do you have? I don't get how you can get by without Gas. 
    Lots of buildings don’t, especially flats. 
    My mother bought a retirement “apartment” 5 years ago. Brand new, electric everything including the under floor heating.  
    With the government threatening to ban new gas boilers in 10 years I reckon it will probably become the norm.