Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Maybe we should have a thread on here on money saving tips rather than dig each other?
    Sorry you’re quite right. Just gets a bit tiresome with the Charlton left constantly hijacking threads with their political agenda.

This is not left or right or middle - it's about being critical of a government (i.e. those that currently govern the country and are the only people in the position to make decisions) that by any measure is a complete shower of shit.
    The cost of living crisis is happening in almost every country in the world. So to put the blame on this government is a bit ridiculous.
     Very few comparable countries are dealing with inflation on the level that we are, and I can’t think of any that are staring down the barrel of what we’re going to see in the near future. It’s a global issue which is particularly acute in the U.K. 
    Get your facts right. Inflation in Europe is pretty much similar to UK.
    Quite comfortable with my facts - very few comparable countries have inflation at or above the current level in the UK, and I’m not sure any are looking at high-teens to low twenties inflation %’s that we are facing.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate

UK 10.1% v EU 9.1% v USA 8.5% is pretty similar in my view. Serious problem yes, but serious problem worldwide. 
    So you try to undermine my comment thatVery few comparable countries are dealing with inflation on the level that we are” by showing stats that show countries with inflation lower than the level we have? 
    I was trying to put some facts on the table, rather your pure emotion. Yes it is slightly higher but not by much. I could easily have picked some countries were it is worse, eg Netherlands Spain. I'm going to leave it here so say and think what you want. The fact is that inflation is a global issue. 
  • Options
    Getting a bit late over in Australia
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Maybe we should have a thread on here on money saving tips rather than dig each other?
    If you buy supermarket gift cards through Airtime Rewards you get 4% cashback (you claim the cashback against your mobile bill). Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Waitrose are all included.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I wonder what the shoplifting stats are looking like.

Morrisons are by some way the worst offenders when it comes to 25-30% price hikes locally.  They were also the worst offenders when it came to the fuel price rises.  Hopefully they'll see a lot of "cash free purchases".
  • Options
    Always give TopCashBack a go...without thinking, I've almost £250 in credit with them. Insurance always a big winner £40+
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Always give TopCashBack a go...without thinking, I've almost £250 in credit with them. Insurance always a big winner £40+
    Mobile contracts, ISP's and breakdown cover are  big TCB earners for me.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Makes a £6 or £8 a pint seem cheap!
  • Options
    To bring it back to ways to save money - check any bank/contracts you have for cashback and other deals. Vodafone often have rewards available through their app, Revolut bank have cashback options - I imagine others do also, as well as things like clubcard discounts and the M+S Sparks card app offer good discounts on regular purchases.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do all my spending where possible on credit card, Amex or HSBC, with a few weeks to go I'm up to £480 cash back on my Amex and around £140 in Amazon vouchers from HSBC. It all adds up as they say.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I do all my spending where possible on credit card, Amex or HSBC, with a few weeks to go I'm up to £480 cash back on my Amex and around £140 in Amazon vouchers from HSBC. It all adds up as they say.
    we pay for everything now using our Utility Warehouse card (since switching across) and get cashback on every purchase which comes off energy bills - can be anything up to 10% at certain retailers 
  • Options
    car insurance. Don't overstate your estimated mileage. When renewing ours it saved about 15% when reducing it from 12,000 miles pa to a more realistic 7,000 miles pa. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    As long as you settle the bill each month !!
  • Options
    Deleted a few overtly political posts off the last page, no more of those please on the main forum now HoC is reopened. Thank you 

This thread could work great for advice, support, tips etc. let’s use it in a positive way 
    I don't seem to have permission to even look at posts in HoC - is it just me or have you closed it down again?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Saga Lout said:
    Deleted a few overtly political posts off the last page, no more of those please on the main forum now HoC is reopened. Thank you 

This thread could work great for advice, support, tips etc. let’s use it in a positive way 
    I don't seem to have permission to even look at posts in HoC - is it just me or have you closed it down again?
    We’ve reintroduced it as a Private group to view and you have to apply & be ticked up by a moderator to read / post.

Log ins are seperate from the main forum, so we can withdraw individuals from that group but they can still post on the main forum. 

Click on the link and apply Saga, you’re nowhere near the naughty list :-) 

https://forum.charltonlife.com/group/10-house-of-commoners
  • Options
    Sim only deals keep your mobile phone cost down - you don't have to keep upgrading your phone 

Buy a lot of stuff off Ebay - made some good savings. 
  • Options
    Tin foil hats, a kettle for every citizen and pork markets!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Start shopping for your mortgage/remortgage well in advance. With more rate rises coming you can get a rate locked in now for a deal starting (in a lot of cases) around 6 months away. 
  • Options
    Ok so Octopus 🐙 are running a beta tariff - slightly higher in the day but 7.5 kWh between 12:30 and 04:30. We charge my wife’s car then and put the washing & dishwasher on timers. Saved £30 in the three weeks so far. Is pegged for 12 months as well.

If you have smart meter there are similar deals in the pipeline

Can’t  recommend octopus enough - joined to go on a renewable tariff but so glad that I did.
  • Options
    Changed all my older low energy bulbs to LEDS as well saves a third plus 
  • Options
    Brought a new fridge freezer which is a D on the new scale A+++ on the old one - needed a new one anyway but is def saving already.
  • Options
    We’ve been trying to reduce our carbon footprint 👣 for a while now and had our gas hob replaced with and induction hob in 2020. Definitely worth doing and in my opinion as versatile as the gas hob
  • Options
    And I’m fitting solar panels to our pug
  • Options
    I joined this through Trainline. Buy the cheapest train ticket each month and get the £15 monthly fee repaid. So far saved over £700. :).
    https://www.completesavings.co.uk/
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160

After reading this, prices are unlikely to fall. 

Is this true? Assume so as it would be deflation.

Was high inflation in the 70s and 80s  more or less reflected in similar wage rises?

With most sectors getting 5% pay rises, if they are lucky, and the thinking that higher wage rises cause more inflation, how are most ever going to get back on track for years, even if inflation does slow down (especially when food inflation is 16%)?

Disregarding the public sector, where obviously the government have to balance the books somehow, is it just greed and profit that more companies won’t give nearer to inflationary pay rises?

Was it fairer 40 years ago? Or isn’t it that simple?

• Options
    edited January 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160

After reading this, prices are unlikely to fall. 

Is this true? Assume so as it would be deflation.

Was high inflation in the 70s and 80s  more or less reflected in similar wage rises?

With most sectors getting 5% pay rises, if they are lucky, and the thinking that higher wage rises cause more inflation, how are most ever going to get back on track for years, even if inflation does slow down (especially when food inflation is 16%)?

Disregarding the public sector, where obviously the government have to balance the books somehow, is it just greed and profit that more companies won’t give nearer to inflationary pay rises?

Was it fairer 40 years ago? Or isn’t it that simple?

I worked for Midland Bank in the late 70s & 80s and remember getting a 25% pay rise one year.
  • Options
    Let’s just call it what it is, poverty.