Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• R0TW said:
    Where do you dig this nonsense up from?
    Why the decline in 2040?
    All the time we offer anyone free money, we will be over populated.
    Is 2040 the year GB becomes B?
    Britain's birth rate has fallen to 1.61 children per woman, compared with 1.94 a decade ago. Experts say this will mean the population will hit a peak of 71 million in the 2040s before plunging to 57 million by 2100 – a level last seen in 1989.
    It was said that China's population would start decreasing in the 2030s. It decreased by over 800,000 in 2022. That's nearly one million - in one year.

The population decrease in the UK could come sooner than you think.
    800,000 sounds a lot but in the context of China's population it's about 0.06%, and that in a Covid year. The same proportion in the UK would be about 40,000. 
  • Population decline is happening in Japan, and increasingly in Europe due to all sorts of reasons - increasing death rate, decreased fertility, and net emigration. There will be big problems in the future if there aren't enough people of working age to look after themselves as well as pay for the education of younger people and the pensions and healthcare of older people. Immigration will have to fill the gap of working age people, which will cause all kinds of problems and tensions (not just in terms of xenophobia, more in terms of conflict between where they come from, and competition from countries for their labour). Some difficult questions up ahead (which governments will be afraid to ask), and technology is going to be a significant part of the answer
  • IdleHans said:
    R0TW said:
    Where do you dig this nonsense up from?
    Why the decline in 2040?
    All the time we offer anyone free money, we will be over populated.
    Is 2040 the year GB becomes B?
    Britain's birth rate has fallen to 1.61 children per woman, compared with 1.94 a decade ago. Experts say this will mean the population will hit a peak of 71 million in the 2040s before plunging to 57 million by 2100 – a level last seen in 1989.
    It was said that China's population would start decreasing in the 2030s. It decreased by over 800,000 in 2022. That's nearly one million - in one year.

The population decrease in the UK could come sooner than you think.
    800,000 sounds a lot but in the context of China's population it's about 0.06%, and that in a Covid year. The same proportion in the UK would be about 40,000. 
    You'd expect them to be going at it like rabbits considering they were locked in for so long.
  • Men need to start having babies and share the load. They're not pulling their weight in this respect. It's the obvious solution.

I think they tried this in The Life of Brian. Apparently there is nowhere for the foetus to gestate.
  • Men need to start having babies and share the load. They're not pulling their weight in this respect. It's the obvious solution.
    I'm carrying, my gestation period is 15 years
  • Gribbo said:
    Think there's a difference when planning and making life choices, between taking a calculated risk that grandparents can probably (and willingly) "fill a gap" by looking after younger children a couple of times a week. And just popping out as many as you like, with the only plan being, to use the State and maybe a win on a scratch card
    Agreed and of course it's not really the state's money it's our money (taxes).
    So if you're planning to have children without planning on how you can afford them & will rely on the state, what you are actually doing is getting everyone else to pay towards them.

Having said that you could say that about paying for all sorts of government funded things that you do or don't use. 
    The NHS could also take pressure off their workload, by nor treating any of us who smoke , drink and are overweight.
  • Good film that Logan's Run. Just saying.
  • McBobbin said:
    Good film that Logan's Run. Just saying.
    Blimey 30 is a bit to young.
    Can we make it 60
  • Sponsored links:

• Not many people die at 70 these days. Most people live for twenty years with a pension and then it becomes a bargain.
    Which is exactly why the retirement age is going up.
    But as someone said a few posts back what if you do a manual job.
    Several of my family are scaffolders. 
    Their bodies are a mess by the time they hit 50.
    How are they supposed to work until 68.
    This is exactly my view. It’s very easy for shiny arsed pen pushers to think that work is exactly what they experience. Manual work and there are umpteen easy examples do take a considerable toll on the body. Most people in manual job’s experience back, knee and shoulder pain that’s pretty considerable from 50 years onwards. It’s totally unrealistic and in fact outright madness to expect workers in manual jobs to carry on until 68. It’s an unexploded bomb waiting to happen for millions of mostly men who will just not be able to work until state pension age. 
    Even if you are a ‘pen pusher’ the age is too high. 

Putting affordability to one side retirement age should be somewhere between 60 & 65. We may live longer technically but quality life / health is important too. 

In a modern society working into old age should be a choice not a necessity. 

People should need to do a daily battle on Southeastern for example on their sixties. 😉
    I really wasn’t having a go at those employed in an office environment. Really I wasn’t but the toll on an accountants body won’t be the same as on a painter and decorators. That’s the reality.
    Physically no, but mentally much more likely.
  • Not many people die at 70 these days. Most people live for twenty years with a pension and then it becomes a bargain.
    This is exactly my view. It’s very easy for shiny arsed pen pushers to think that work is exactly what they experience. Manual work and there are umpteen easy examples do take a considerable toll on the body. Most people in manual job’s experience back, knee and shoulder pain that’s pretty considerable from 50 years onwards. It’s totally unrealistic and in fact outright madness to expect workers in manual jobs to carry on until 68. It’s an unexploded bomb waiting to happen for millions of mostly men who will just not be able to work until state pension age. 

Putting affordability to one side retirement age should be somewhere between 60 & 65. We may live longer technically but quality life / health is important too. 

People should need to do a daily battle on Southeastern for example on their sixties. 😉
    I really wasn’t having a go at those employed in an office environment. Really I wasn’t but the toll on an accountants body won’t be the same as on a painter and decorators. That’s the reality.
    Plenty of sedentary jobs that will have little mental strain. The fact remains that manual Labour takes more of a toll on the joints than answering the phone or sitting in front of a monitor.

Plenty of sedentary jobs that will have little mental strain. The fact remains that manual Labour takes more of a toll on the joints than answering the phone or sitting in front of a monitor.
    Plenty of wrist injuries doing that mate (and bad eyesight)
  • At Tesco's just now, Heinz tomato soup was £1.70 - crazy price. It has increased by 80% in 6 months. Just didn't buy it. How is food inflation calculated, is it just certain products that are taken into account - some of the increases just seem like price gouging
  • At Tesco's just now, Heinz tomato soup was £1.70 - crazy price. It has increased by 80% in 6 months. Just didn't buy it. How is food inflation calculated, is it just certain products that are taken into account - some of the increases just seem like price gouging
    Yep me dad got me on that one a couple of weeks back
    You want anything round tescos dad?
    Can you get me a couple of cans of heinz tomato soup please.
  • Sadly my fixed rate two year contract with Scottish Power finished on Tuesday. 

Not read the thread but with the price of energy going down, I assume it is best to wait for a better fixed deal in the autumn? 
  • No good fixed deals available atm.
    The best you can do is the variable government capped tariff, unless you think Octopus Agile would work for you. You'd need to look it up because it's a bit complicated, but is to do with the wholesale prices.
  • Sadly my fixed rate two year contract with Scottish Power finished on Tuesday. 

Not read the thread but with the price of energy going down, I assume it is best to wait for a better fixed deal in the autumn? 
    Prices increasing on the 1st April despite wholesale gas prices now at their lowest for 18 months. The government really are pushing it to the limit. I don’t understand why there isn’t uproar. Will people put up with it again next winter ? 

Prices increasing on the 1st April despite wholesale gas prices now at their lowest for 18 months. The government really are pushing it to the limit. I don’t understand why there isn’t uproar. Will people put up with it again next winter ? 
    Whilst I think the government should keep the overall support to keep at current prices, it's highly likely that from July prices will be lower than they are now WITH the government support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talking Gas, we finally had all the central heating turned on in our renovation project in Folkestone and its currently got one of them gas card meter things (until we get it changed!)
    Mrs D put £200 on the card.  Within 24hrs, that was already down to £162.00.  So roughly speaking, £38 a day to heat a 5 bed house at only 17c which has been insulated within an inch of its life.

How on earth do people on these gas card meter things survive?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Talking Gas, we finally had all the central heating turned on in our renovation project in Folkestone and its currently got one of them gas card meter things (until we get it changed!)
    Mrs D put £200 on the card.  Within 24hrs, that was already down to £162.00.  So roughly speaking, £38 a day to heat a 5 bed house at only 17c which has been insulated within an inch of its life.

It might improve as the days wears on as don’t forget you are warming up the complete structure ie walls, floors (especially if they are concrete) etc., not just the ambient air, give it a week or so before then depressing yourselves.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Talking Gas, we finally had all the central heating turned on in our renovation project in Folkestone and its currently got one of them gas card meter things (until we get it changed!)

It might improve as the days wears on as don’t forget you are warming up the complete structure ie walls, floors (especially if they are concrete) etc., not just the ambient air, give it a week or so before then depressing yourselves.
    Ah, ok, didn't realise that would make a huge difference.  To be fair, the house hasn't been heated for around 9-10 years.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ah, ok, didn't realise that would make a huge difference.  To be fair, the house hasn't been heated for around 9-10 years.
    17c is high for an empty house, assuming it is empty. We leave the heating on in our lodge in Cornwall and it is set on 10c. This is more than adequate to keep the structure warm and stop any pipes freezing.

Our insurance for the lodge stipulates 10c as well to avoid freezing pipes 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Agree totally with eaststandmike says, re 10c being the required temperature to warm the house. If you can warm the house slowly and when it get warmer turn heating off and open windows etc to let the ambient air do the bulk of the warming for free.
  • So the buzz word today is productivity.
    According to the big think tanks, For wages to increase we just need to increase productivity per capita.

This in a country that started eroding anything it ever produced 3 decades ago and has produced f**k.all since.
  • ShootersHillGuru said:
    bolloxbolder said:
    Sadly my fixed rate two year contract with Scottish Power finished on Tuesday. 

The problem is that in England we all miss about things like this but do nothing about it. Unlike the French.

• Surprise increase in rate of inflation driven by rising food costs apparently.
  • Surprise increase in rate of inflation driven by rising food costs apparently.
    I work for a food production company and price of things like peppers + tomatoes have more than doubled
  • Anyone got a referral code for Octopus Energy? I think theyre doing 50 quid credit atm if you switch so if i can use someones here that would be great!