Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jesurun Rak-Sakyi - 2023-4 season progress.

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Very talented footballer and I'm excited to see how his career develops. Made this season more entertaining and I believe we would have realistically been floating with relegation more so than we were without him. Reading that interview he also seems to be a very humble and genuine person. As others have also mentioned, (begrudgingly) fair play to Palace for not recalling in Jan.
    People should have listened to Curbs on this. Many times he said it would be daft to recall him because he hasn't had to uproot to join us, he's playing every week, and clearly enjoying it, while making the transition to adult football, and while still having a lot to learn -and he did learn. So why move him and to where? While I'm glad Palace didn't recall him, Curbs analysis demonstrates that in fact, Gallagher being recalled was an outlier, a move that didn't make football sense to anyone. It reinforces my belief in the story I heard that Gallagher's agent ( a youngish guy, who later committed suicide) engineered that move with someone in Chelsea's commercial management. It's rare to see big FAPL clubs yank their starlets out of a club in January where they are clearly getting game time and rapidly progressing, as both Gallagher and JRS did with us (and as did Cullen, Bielik, Maatsen and daSilva, which Curbs also goes on about)
    Isn’t it sometimes beneficial for development/growing up to take the player out of his comfort zone a bit? Moving away from home, testing themselves in a different environment. 

Maybe not with Rak-Sakyi but I can 100% see the logic for recalling Gallagher. We were a mess at the time, losing every game and not playing good football which can’t be good for his development. He was our best player by a mile and had probably learnt/developed all he could from us. Swansea played a different style, having a lot more of the ball which probably better translates to the way Chelsea were playing at the time 
    Right, geography is one part of the equation, and with Gallagher, the way we were playing, and who he was playing alongside him, didn't suit him to becoming a better Chelsea player.

In the end with JRS, I think Palace made the right decision leaving him where he was. But would sending him to Ipswich or Peterborough have thrown his life into disarray? Probably not. But it seemed to be a good situation for him here, and I'm so happy he stayed and won POTY.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Very talented footballer and I'm excited to see how his career develops. Made this season more entertaining and I believe we would have realistically been floating with relegation more so than we were without him. Reading that interview he also seems to be a very humble and genuine person. As others have also mentioned, (begrudgingly) fair play to Palace for not recalling in Jan.
    People should have listened to Curbs on this. Many times he said it would be daft to recall him because he hasn't had to uproot to join us, he's playing every week, and clearly enjoying it, while making the transition to adult football, and while still having a lot to learn -and he did learn. So why move him and to where? While I'm glad Palace didn't recall him, Curbs analysis demonstrates that in fact, Gallagher being recalled was an outlier, a move that didn't make football sense to anyone. It reinforces my belief in the story I heard that Gallagher's agent ( a youngish guy, who later committed suicide) engineered that move with someone in Chelsea's commercial management. It's rare to see big FAPL clubs yank their starlets out of a club in January where they are clearly getting game time and rapidly progressing, as both Gallagher and JRS did with us (and as did Cullen, Bielik, Maatsen and daSilva, which Curbs also goes on about)
    Isn’t it sometimes beneficial for development/growing up to take the player out of his comfort zone a bit? Moving away from home, testing themselves in a different environment. 

Maybe not with Rak-Sakyi but I can 100% see the logic for recalling Gallagher. We were a mess at the time, losing every game and not playing good football which can’t be good for his development. He was our best player by a mile and had probably learnt/developed all he could from us. Swansea played a different style, having a lot more of the ball which probably better translates to the way Chelsea were playing at the time 
    Right, geography is one part of the equation, and with Gallagher, the way we were playing, and who he was playing alongside him, didn't suit him to becoming a better Chelsea player.

In the end with JRS, I think Palace made the right decision leaving him where he was. But would sending him to Ipswich or Peterborough have thrown his life into disarray? Probably not. But it seemed to be a good situation for him here, and I'm so happy he stayed and won POTY.
    Fortunately it seems that most FAPL football clubs, most of the time, have some respect for the clubs and the competition lower down the pyramid, and tend to operate on the principle that if you say “season long loan” then that’s what it should be unless something really exceptional happens. Imagine the chaos it would cause if every loaning club had to worry about losing a young player in January because they did too good a job with his development

You’ve forgotten, it seems, that nobody had heard of Conor Gallagher, he had played no first team football, and Bow said he wasn’t even sure how ready he’d be for the first team early in the season. Chelsea, in turn, have a whole suite of ex-pros whose  job is to plan for and monitor the 70-odd players they want to farm out on loan. That means those guys know all about the club, and its playing style before they send a player out there. Tore Andre Flo ( the guy most commonly down at Sparrows Lane to monitor CG) would have of course known that Charlton had the lowest playing budget in the League, so were likely to be  strugggling, and knew too how Bow would set up. By all accounts Flo was more than happy in December with the experience Gallagher was getting. We’d turned him from a raw kid to an exceptional Championship midfielder in four months. Somebody else had other ideas, ideas which dont seem to me to have much to do with football development. The fact JRS stayed despite a few fans wetting the bed about Mark Bright turning up to watch him, shows that the Gallagher affair stank the place out, and I really wish people would stop pretending it was normal. It also relegated us. 
    I get that. I wouldn't say it was "normal" necessarily. But I understand why it happened. And I wasn't surprised that a PL club, particularly that one, showed no regard for a team lower down the football pyramid. I do think it's also worth noting that at Swansea Gallagher had I think two England youth teammates and his former England youth coach, so again, I understand why it was done.

And again, not saying it's right, but also understanding when CG is lining up next to Ben Dempsey in midfield with Josh Davison up front, that may not be what's best for his development. 

None of this is to say that it's good, but it is to say that this is a byproduct of a much larger issue of a small number of clubs having almost all of the power over football in that country. And there's no honor amongst thieves. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023

lots of people getting very excited about Ruk-Sakyi, cant help but feel we're carrying him a bit though
    Glad we put up with him and played him into form. Gotta give these young uns a chance. Let's hope our juniors can sign a few young lads that might think Charlton can get them in the ship window. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Fortunately it seems that most FAPL football clubs, most of the time, have some respect for the clubs and the competition lower down the pyramid, and tend to operate on the principle that if you say “season long loan” then that’s what it should be unless something really exceptional happens. Imagine the chaos it would cause if every loaning club had to worry about losing a young player in January because they did too good a job with his development

You’ve forgotten, it seems, that nobody had heard of Conor Gallagher, he had played no first team football, and Bow said he wasn’t even sure how ready he’d be for the first team early in the season. Chelsea, in turn, have a whole suite of ex-pros whose  job is to plan for and monitor the 70-odd players they want to farm out on loan. That means those guys know all about the club, and its playing style before they send a player out there. Tore Andre Flo ( the guy most commonly down at Sparrows Lane to monitor CG) would have of course known that Charlton had the lowest playing budget in the League, so were likely to be  strugggling, and knew too how Bow would set up. By all accounts Flo was more than happy in December with the experience Gallagher was getting. We’d turned him from a raw kid to an exceptional Championship midfielder in four months. Somebody else had other ideas, ideas which dont seem to me to have much to do with football development. The fact JRS stayed despite a few fans wetting the bed about Mark Bright turning up to watch him, shows that the Gallagher affair stank the place out, and I really wish people would stop pretending it was normal. It also relegated us. 
    I get that. I wouldn't say it was "normal" necessarily. But I understand why it happened. And I wasn't surprised that a PL club, particularly that one, showed no regard for a team lower down the football pyramid. I do think it's also worth noting that at Swansea Gallagher had I think two England youth teammates and his former England youth coach, so again, I understand why it was done.

And again, not saying it's right, but also understanding when CG is lining up next to Ben Dempsey in midfield with Josh Davison up front, that may not be what's best for his development. 

None of this is to say that it's good, but it is to say that this is a byproduct of a much larger issue of a small number of clubs having almost all of the power over football in that country. And there's no honor amongst thieves. 
    Come on, that's not how it was. The only reason Dempsey got his 3 appearances was because CG had  been pulled out half way through the window, a situation we'd have struggled to remedy even if we'd not been taken over by thieves Chelsea agreed that he was brought in to play alongside Josh Cullen, Sam Field, Darren Pratley and JFC, and as such he would have to show he was up to it. That he showed that and more within a few games is exactly what Chelsea hoped for. I agree with your final sentences of course, but in this case, the thieves were not Chelsea as a whole. After all the even more parlous state of Charlton a few months later did not stop Chelsea having the confidence to lend us Ian Maatsen - for the whole season. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Played almost 80 minutes for Palace U21s tonight as they lost 3-1 at home against PSV.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Played almost 80 minutes for Palace U21s tonight as they lost 3-1 at home against PSV.
    So did the two lads who played for Shrewsbury for most of the season. Having their holiday cut short after a hard season of men’s football to play some kids competition is really poor by them. A lot of young players will be talking about how piss poor that decision was by Nigels.A really bad long term decision by them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Thanks for posting Callum , it didn’t surprise me that when I looked on the Jes Rak Sakyi thread there wasn’t something about him 🤷‍♂️ come on Paulie don’t look on it if you’ve got no interest .
    Our player of the year just past and who knows how bad the season may have been without him
    I for one wish him well and hope he leaves palace asap 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Rak Saki had a good season in his first year in men's football in the mediocre League 1.
    Really can't see him getting much football in the Premier league even if Wilf 'I get knocked down but I get up again' Zaha doesn't take up the offer of 200k a week for playing in the plastic pool of Palace rather that being an impact sub on similar money at a top six club. Zaha could buy up the Webb estate in Purley where his late ex owner  boss, Ron Noades also lived.

JRS would need to improve his tracking back and his finishing when the ball is crossed and he finds himself in the six yard box. His heading is the same quality as that other magic feet player from a while back, Tony Watt, Watt Watt; non existent.

A season in the Championship is the obvious next move and Millwall🤦🏻‍♂️ or QPR may be the logical next move so Mark Bright can keep tabs on him. Ok for oohaah sake, QPR 🙋🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    His next step has to be a solid season in the championship somewhere. Maybe go and replace Amad Diallo at Sunderland? 
  • Options
    Sorry but why should we care about him anymore.

We don't have on-going threads for every single player who was once a loan player.

Kid is now back in a palace shirt and should be forgotten, we don't need constant reminders of what he may or may not be doing IMO 

When he was playing in a Charlton shirt fair enough but who cares what he is doing for the surrey lot really 

As I say just my opinion but he has gone back now and we should be focused on who we have here not who we will never see in a Charlton shirt again
    If they’d won I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it tbh.
  • Options

We don't have on-going threads for every single player who was once a loan player.

Kid is now back in a palace shirt and should be forgotten, we don't need constant reminders of what he may or may not be doing IMO 

When he was playing in a Charlton shirt fair enough but who cares what he is doing for the surrey lot really 

As I say just my opinion but he has gone back now and we should be focused on who we have here not who we will never see in a Charlton shirt again
    If they’d won I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it tbh.
    Scott Carson, former Charlton player of the season picking up a Champions League final medal?
  • Options
    I'd probably say he had a very good season, rather than good.

I also think his stats and contribution would have greatly increased if he did not have to play with Stockley, Bonne, Aneke (sadly has to be said this season from what we saw). 
  • Options
    I'll be really interested to see how his career goes for the next few years, and then probably lose interest, like I have in Conor Gallagher's.
  • Options
    many thanks Jesurun, you far exceeded my expectations .. If only you'd had better players around you, but a t m, we are what we are  :'(  :)
  • Options

lots of people getting very excited about Ruk-Sakyi, cant help but feel we're carrying him a bit though
    Glad we put up with him and played him into form. Gotta give these young uns a chance. Let's hope our juniors can sign a few young lads that might think Charlton can get them in the ship window. 
    That’s called a port hole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry about the typo, I meant to say 'Shit window', so. I assume you meant butt hole! 
  • Options

Can just see you holding fort around the dinner table for family events and giving some brilliant, balanced and soft views to most situations.
  • Options

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to talk about a past player, who was very positive for us.

Whilst not quite the same scenario, Alan Simonsen is still revered for his short spell with us.

Like others have said,  if you yourself are not interested, simply don't open/read the thread. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Can just see you holding fort around the dinner table for family events and giving some brilliant, balanced and soft views to most situations.
    It’s “holding court” isn’t it? 
  • Options
    See he scored for Palace yesterday in their friendly against Brondby.

I'm therefore clearly imagining that I thought he had signed for Ipswich on loan next season!

I wonder if Palace are now going to keep him next year? Or will he be our big signing that Dubai says will accompany news of our takeover tomorrow! :-)