Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Signing - Jack Payne -Two Year Deal - Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    I don’t know what to think. We wanted a clear out. We’re getting one. We wanted some goals from midfield. On the face of it Jack helps here. But the niggling feeling that we’re recruiting a bunch of league 2 players haunts me. Welcome aboard the good ship Swindo, sorry CAFC Jack. I hope you are a ray of light. 
    Just remind me Swindon finished in 6th position in Division 2 last season and now it’s expected that these same players push us on to The Championship.
    Come on, it is three of them isn’t it? what will you be saying if they all step up?, we don’t know yet do we?. Admittedly it could go tits up, but we need to give this new team a chance. I’m probably slightly more concerned about some we have retained.

Plus manager and his right hand man thats five at least.
    Pulling players out of Division 2 is not going to get us to the championship any day soon.
    If you’re feeling negative you’ll see it that way whoever we sign.

A player stepping up a division isn’t good enough.

A player dropping down is on the decline.

A player from a smaller club in this league can’t be that good as Championship clubs weren’t interested.

A player from a big club in this league is an Ipswich/Wednesday etc reject.

A Prem loan is a kid lacking experience.

A big name wants one last pay day.

What players coming in would impress you?
    You forgot 

Academy players is doing it on the cheap with kids

😉
    Good point. Anyone below Gomez, Shelvey and Lookman level isn’t up to it.
    And it’s pointless playing them because they’ll only make half a dozen appearances before we sell them on the cheap. 
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:
    So a divisive manager, with very patchy experience and success, hired by a narcissist who knows sod all about football, has essentially plundered his old club for a bunch of players who were so great that they were in league two in what should be the high point of their career and we have signed a half dozen academy players? Fabulous!
    You must have been furious when we signed Nick Pope and Joe Aribo from non-league clubs. I mean, how good could they be if they're playing for Bury Town and Staines, ffs? 
    Not the same though is it? Pope and Aribo were about 19 when they were signed for their potential. I have no idea if this guy or any of the Swindon lads are any good but he’s a 27 year old player from League 2. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes but I do think it’s strange with all the Swindon connections and I believe it’s a concern. However the squad needed an overhaul and this is the level we’re looking at, hopefully it’s enough to push for promotion but I’m not sure it will be.
    Agreed. Us signing Pope and Aribo was more like the signings of Davison and Clayden or indeed Mason Burstow and Jacob Roddy, punts on the future which sometimes come off and sometimes don't. None were signed to make an immediate impact.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Club and their best signing so far (based on my very limited knowledge of clubs outside of Charlton): 

Accrington
    Shaun Whalley 5 years ago would have been good at this level. 

Barnsley:
    Conor McCarthy a decent quality punt. 

Bolton:
    Jack Iredale - Not bad, should be hitting his prime

Bristol:
    Rossiter or Marquis - Neither are promotion material. 

Burton:
    Adeboyejo is probably their best signing, released from a club dropped to this level though. 

Cambridge:
    Haunstrup from Killy is probably their best, not phenomenal in any sense. 

Charlton:
    Jack Payne is probably the most exciting of our business. 

Cheltenham:
    No one of note that I think will shine at this level. 

Wayne Rooney's Derby County:
    Probably Mendez Laing or Barkhuizen are their best signings

Exeter:
    Literally signed no one. 

Fleetwood:
    Vela was a very good signing for Fleetwood imo. 

Forest Green:
    Kyle McAllister is a good signing, can he do it down here though?

Ipswich:
    Ladapo a very, very good signing at this level. 

Lincoln:

MK Dons:
    Either Barry or Tucker really, probably the former. 

Morecambe:

Oxford:
    Brown will be their best signing so far - He's their only signing mind you. 

Peterborough:
    Ben Thompson is a great option. 

Plymouth:

Portsmouth:
    Pack or Piggott

Port Vale:
    Funso Ojo is actually relatively decent. 

Wednesday:
    Several shrewd signings. Vaulks, Smith, Ihiekwe and James should all be good enough for a L1 play off position. 

Shrewsbury:
    Dunkley or O'Brien probably the pick. 

Wycombe:
    Good summary Dazzler, only one I’ll disagree with is Derby. How they’ve managed to sign Conor Hourihane in league one, I have no idea. He is an outstanding footballer and in my opinion is the best player in this league.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Club and their best signing so far (based on my very limited knowledge of clubs outside of Charlton): 

Accrington
    Shaun Whalley 5 years ago would have been good at this level. 

Barnsley:
    Conor McCarthy a decent quality punt. 

Bolton:
    Jack Iredale - Not bad, should be hitting his prime

Bristol:
    Rossiter or Marquis - Neither are promotion material. 

Burton:
    Adeboyejo is probably their best signing, released from a club dropped to this level though. 

Cambridge:
    Haunstrup from Killy is probably their best, not phenomenal in any sense. 

Charlton:
    Jack Payne is probably the most exciting of our business. 

Cheltenham:

Wayne Rooney's Derby County:
    Probably Mendez Laing or Barkhuizen are their best signings

Exeter:
    Literally signed no one. 

Fleetwood:
    Vela was a very good signing for Fleetwood imo. 

Forest Green:
    Kyle McAllister is a good signing, can he do it down here though?

Ipswich:
    Ladapo a very, very good signing at this level. 

Lincoln:

MK Dons:
    Either Barry or Tucker really, probably the former. 

Morecambe:

Oxford:
    Brown will be their best signing so far - He's their only signing mind you. 

Peterborough:
    Ben Thompson is a great option. 

Plymouth:

Portsmouth:
    Pack or Piggott

Port Vale:
    Funso Ojo is actually relatively decent. 

Wednesday:
    Several shrewd signings. Vaulks, Smith, Ihiekwe and James should all be good enough for a L1 play off position. 

Shrewsbury:
    Dunkley or O'Brien probably the pick. 

Wycombe:
    Good summary Dazzler, only one I’ll disagree with is Derby. How they’ve managed to sign Conor Hourihane in league one, I have no idea. He is an outstanding footballer and in my opinion is the best player in this league.
    Could do very well, he's 31 now so clinging onto the last of his peak years. Must've been guaranteed game time.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    As for the negativity being boring I find the relentless mindless optimism baffling but what yer gonna do? I won’t post on the subject again however
    Good!!👍
    Thanks that’s really nice of you to say 
    I was joking, you set them up and all that. Just because I don’t agree,lAgree , you words are not completely dismissed.😜👍
    Thanks, appreciated.

Maybe I’m being overly pessimistic 
    In my opinion yes, but I don’t have a crystal ball, so you could be bang on🤷🏻‍♂️, if you are I’ll pm you for the lotto numbers😂
    You mean you only have a bowl of custard .... ? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    As for the negativity being boring I find the relentless mindless optimism baffling but what yer gonna do? I won’t post on the subject again however
    Good!!👍
    Thanks that’s really nice of you to say 
    I was joking, you set them up and all that. Just because I don’t agree,lAgree , you words are not completely dismissed.😜👍
    Thanks, appreciated.

Maybe I’m being overly pessimistic 
    In my opinion yes, but I don’t have a crystal ball, so you could be bang on🤷🏻‍♂️, if you are I’ll pm you for the lotto numbers😂
    You mean you only have a bowl of custard .... ? :smile:

Lol!, yes bowl is intact not sure the custard is in date, as it’s been so long to have reason for a dip!!, I’m now keeping my custard powder dry for upcoming season!!.🤣
  • Options
    Worth noting when comparing our transfer business with other promotion seeking clubs, is that we were a LONG way from promotion last season, and thus need far more strengthening. Over 20 points behind the Top 7
  • Options
    Garner is buying players he has worked with and knows.  This approach seems sensible, hopefully it will work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did i miss something or Are we going to be getting in an assistant manager after not getting the now swindon manager in 
    didnt the other guy come in as just a coach ? 
  • Options
    Worth noting when comparing our transfer business with other promotion seeking clubs, is that we were a LONG way from promotion last season, and thus need far more strengthening. Over 20 points behind the Top 7

Yes the points total was 20 points behind yes but the squad wasnt anywhere near that bad. The manager has to take last season on the chin imo due to his persistence in playing a system that anybody could see wasnt working. I like most like JJ as a person but a manager he isnt (hopefully yet)
  • Options
    Over the last two windows, so far it hasn't obviously closed yet, we have brought the squad back to the level it was when Bowyer left.  That wasn't good enough.

We are certainly better off than we were this time last year.
  • Options
    Did i miss something or Are we going to be getting in an assistant manager after not getting the now swindon manager in 
    didnt the other guy come in as just a coach ? 
    Please in English not Sure understand I might  ;)
  • Options
    Slightly concerned about the lack of height and power in midfield. All seems to be nice footballers, do think we are missing a Pratley type of player. 

Think Mcgrandles was signed to beef up the midfield as well, Dobson is lean but knows how to use his strength and JFC can put himself about. 

If anything we have gone for more energetic players to win the midfield battle rather then have likes of Watson hacking players down. 

Pratley though was very effective at what he did with great stamina for his age still. 
  • Options
    I want to believe in this new team and I believe in the strategy of signing the perceived best players from the division(s) below, but I also think that Washington and Purrington are losses who meet the criteria. I can only assume / hope that these (bad, imo) decisions are based on team harmony rather than footballing ability.

Only time will tell. I'm not finding this exciting but it is interesting. At least I don't think we'll be bottom six as I did a few months back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me building a team comes second to winning.
    Maybe it is a chicken and egg situation, but I would prefer mind numbingly boring football and a win, that all the bells and whistles and a defeat.
    Results on the pitch is the primary measure of Mr Garner.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe it is a chicken and egg situation, but I would prefer mind numbingly boring football and a win, that all the bells and whistles and a defeat.
    The point of building a team is to win. It’s not a social group.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Or its to do both, given the unity we see created amongst teams that win promotion.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Well yes.
    I suppose I am worried about the talk of developing a style, a club methodology, continuing to be a work in progress, when glorious defeats might become acceptable.
    If we combine glory with wins then fine, but wins are everything right now.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Well yes.
    I suppose I am worried about the talk of developing a style, a club methodology, continuing to be a work in progress, when glorious defeats might become acceptable.
    Not sure I totally agree. Yes we do need to see results in the short and medium term but for several seasons now we've seen teams being gutted and rebuilt almost from scratch every summer.

Having a style and methodology (and sticking to it) will hopefully lead to a point where transfers are about upgrading and evolving the team and not having to create one anew every year.

It's going to take time, patience and money to achieve and I am by no means saying it's guaranteed to succeed but I can understand what the idea is even if I'm still not 100% sold on the methods.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Well yes.
    Not sure I totally agree. Yes we do need to see results in the short and medium term but for several seasons now we've seen teams being gutted and rebuilt almost from scratch every summer.

Having a style and methodology (and sticking to it) will hopefully lead to a point where transfers are about upgrading and evolving the team and not having to create one anew every year.

It's going to take time, patience and money to achieve and I am by no means saying it's guaranteed to succeed but I can understand what the idea is even if I'm still not 100% sold on the methods.
    I think everything you write is totally reasonable, but for me I am too old for patience.
    I want results.