Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Signing - Jack Payne -Two Year Deal - Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Where's the 60 attempts before that of it being scuffed into the wall or blazed 6 yards wide and high? :wink:
    Notice the "people" in the wall are about the same hight as him!
  • Options
    Not one person in that wall jumped.
  • Options
    We haven't had a decent free kick taker since Yann, JJ 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/2PX_LLRyTnE
  • Options
    He’s got bags of spirit and fight - sod the height test - he will stand up to anyone!

• Options
    Ricky Holmes was pretty decent wasn’t he?
  • Options
    Ricky Holmes was pretty decent wasn’t he?
    Scored a lot of free kicks that JBG Bulot season.

Back on Payne. Knew he was short but was shocked when I saw him last night. Makes DJ look 8 foot tall.

And blimey how is Leaburn that big as a teenager?
  • Options
    Payne looks like a right little technically gifted nasty bastard we’ve been missing. Think he’s gonna be a really important player for us this year. 

I listened to the NtT20 podcast with their season preview and they described him as “not system proof, but he knows Garner’s system, so it’s bound to work” which I think is probably spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    He looks so good. The ball was getting whizzed into him and he was killing it dead. Then pinging balls flat and fast and perfectly weighted. The guy has got some tekkers.
    Thought the same. Very good. I hope he finds a regular place. I suspect Fraser is who he’s battling with to start. Both technically excellent players and great we’ve got that competition. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    As predicted though, he started on Tuesday in one of the forward roles.

So could easily have Fraser and Payne in the team, with the latter replacing one of the wide players.

I mean if we can do that against a Championship side, so no harm in doing it at our level
  • Options
    Wasn’t sure why we signed another midfielder, didn’t think we needed to either! But we have a serious player here. I think he’ll be one our best signings of the year! 
  • Options
    Saw him shopping in Asda the other day, my boys got all excited and started singing charlton songs at him but were too nervous to go up to him. He looked up and gave them a big smile and wave and they were super excited. Seems a nice guy. I also expected him to have some big gas guzzling flashy car but he had a nice sensible tesla (still a bit flashy) but not what I imagined
  • Options
    He squared up to a QPR player that was a good foot taller than him on Tuesday!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Payne looks like a right little technically gifted nasty bastard we’ve been missing. Think he’s gonna be a really important player for us this year. 

I listened to the NtT20 podcast with their season preview and they described him as “not system proof, but he knows Garner’s system, so it’s bound to work” which I think is probably spot on.
    Has the ability of Williams, better than Oztumer but the tenacity and desire to win of Kinsella. The nice guy stuff was fine for a season but we need bite and he brings that. 

Very, very exciting player. 
    Not sure about the William's statement mate, he has fallen over yet ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Has the ability of Williams, better than Oztumer but the tenacity and desire to win of Kinsella. The nice guy stuff was fine for a season but we need bite and he brings that. 

Very, very exciting player. 
    Pretty good assessment, i've been impressed so far.

If he stays fit, i can see him being a fan favourite and in the running for POTY.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The ball fizzed to DJ was something we have not seen a CAFC do for seasons now!
  • Options
    Reminds me a bit of Nicky Bailey in terms of attitude...
  • Options
    Reminds me a bit of Nicky Bailey in terms of attitude...
    The first player that came to my mind was Scott Houghton (I think that was his name on loan from spurs in the early 90s?) .
  • Options
    Looked good so far. Shame about the heavy touch that led to their goal. But if ever there was a time to do it and learn.

Be good to see him in a fixed position as he runs the risk of being used anywhere from midfield positions to the wide forward roles. 

For those who have followed his career, where do you think he's best suited?
  • Options
    Based on what I've seen, the midfield 3 best suits his all-action style. He wants to be involved as much as possible. Having him as a sub to bring on in the midfield is frankly a c***t c**e and I reckon Garner realised after Sheffield Wednesday that bringing him on as a winger wasn't the right move, not because he's no good there (he is) but because he would have given us that central boost, that jolt of energy we needed 
  • Options
    Worth playing upfront?
  • Options
    He zips around nicely and can shoot. Try him before he gets Charltonised and never shoots!
  • Options
    should have a total free role to play off the front man - must be a nightmare to mark