Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Let's not forget he only made his u23s debut towards the end of last season.

No problem with Deji, Henry, Leaburn etc etc being involved and if they force their way into the team fair play to them.

If they end up playing due to lack of depth and the annual injury crisis it could do them more harm than good.

Deji, Henry, Adigun, Leaburn that's a spine with some serious potential. Keep them altogether, u23's and pizza cup. Don't force it.
  • Was he prolific at youth level? Or more of a link forward/target man? 
  • Seems fine to me as a 4th striker. 

We do need an upgrade at 3rd striker though, as Davison for me isn't the answer. 
    Leaburn is 3rd Striker at the moment on that basis for me - Send Davison out on loan, and get another body in that pushes Leaburn down to 4th Striker, whilst making appearances in the League Cup and EFL Trophy so we can monitor his progress
    Valley11 said:
    Was he prolific at youth level? Or more of a link forward/target man? 
    Dont think he's ever been as prolific as Kanu, but seem to recall him being injured for large periods last season

He signed from Chelsea @ U16 level so hasnt been with us that long.
  • edited July 2022
    One advantage that Miles has for me on Burstow is he's footballing brain. He's two assists last night where sublime. The lad can pass, hold up the ball and finish. Has all the potential to be a complete forward. 

I would monitor him for the rest of pre-season and give him a short camo against Sutton and Swansea then assess what we do with him after that.

I feel based on yesterday and against Dartford that the national league isn't a good place to send him on loan. I would like to see him play with higher quality players.

For me it's either with us this season or a league two loan. 
  • If your good enough your old enough, lets see miles more of Miles
  • My opinion is that he looks ready. Doesnt need to be thrown in the deep end like Burstow (though I think he has more to his game already than Burstow) but certainly feel he could make an impact and be a handful if he came on for the last 20-25 minutes. 

Davison, for all his effort off the ball, was outshone by Leaburn. 

Loan/sell Davison and get another senior striker. 
    Looked ready for men’s football yesterday. Biggest concern about Burstow was that he went missing in the game and didn’t really contribute anything at times. Leaburn looks different as he has the physical ability to battle.

Wouldnt be concern about Leaburn having to play against someone like Innis a big 6ft defender, whilst felt Burstow looked like a youngster a time with his movements etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Needs a loan and to be given time to develop.
  • Two recentish reference points in terms of position are Grant and Lookman.

Not sure any of us can say where he’s at in comparison yet. Lookman exploded on the scene with his speed and skill and got a move, Karlan floundered and needed a loan.

I think L1 allows us to take us more of a chance without the loan. Different story if we were in the league above.
  • If he's loaned it has to be the right club. A season of trying to get on the end of aimless punts to the big man isn't going to help his development.
  • Seems fine to me as a 4th striker. 

We do need an upgrade at 3rd striker though, as Davison for me isn't the answer. 
    Likewise. If Davison is the answer then the wrong question is being asked.
  • Carlo was one of my favourite all time players. There were detractors but I viewed it at the time as a test of your football knowledge as Leaburn brought a lot to the team. I don't think he was clinical and didn't gamble on the defender missing it which the really top strikers do, but his overall game was fantastic IMO. I think he was at the top of his game when we played at Upton Park. It is great to see another Leaburn and if he is only slightly better than his dad, we should be excited as his dad was pretty decent.  
  • Whatever happened to a good old 1 month loan. That would be handy for all. It seems to be a season or nothing these days. 

Just because of his size, I would not conclude that he will not be bullied. You also get to see the temperament too when being Jason Pearce'd as if you are in a scrum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks like TS has already decided on this one...

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-chief-explains-why-no-pressing-urgency-to-add-to-striker-positions/

"Charlton Athletic owner Thomas Sandgaard says that Miles Leaburn’s emergence has eased any immediate pressure to bring in a forward.

The Addicks have made five signings this summer but none in the offensive areas.

Leaburn, 18, scored twice for Charlton in a 6-1 friendly win at Dartford on Saturday. The League One club announced on Monday that the forward, whose dad Carl led the line for the Addicks, had signed a three-year professional contract.

“Everybody keeps talking about the fact we need another striker, just wait until you see what Miles is capable of and how fast he is developing too,” Sandgaard told the South London Press.

“We have someone coming up from the academy, so that puts a dampener on the pressure for getting outside strikers in. It might still be an option, but we’re pretty well off at the moment with Jayden Stockley, Chuks Aneke, Josh Davison and Miles.”

Slightly worrying statement.

1 needs the ball lumped up to him (which isn't how Garner plays)
    1 can't start games
    1 isn't good enough
    1 is an untried 18 year old.
  • mendonca said:
    Whatever happened to a good old 1 month loan. That would be handy for all. It seems to be a season or nothing these days.
    Not allowed anymore, not in the EFL anyway, loans have to be from Transfer Window to Transfer Window - We could loan Miles to the Conference, or below for a month loan - But then you have to question if that'll be any use for his development

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-chief-explains-why-no-pressing-urgency-to-add-to-striker-positions/

"Charlton Athletic owner Thomas Sandgaard says that Miles Leaburn’s emergence has eased any immediate pressure to bring in a forward.

The Addicks have made five signings this summer but none in the offensive areas.

Leaburn, 18, scored twice for Charlton in a 6-1 friendly win at Dartford on Saturday. The League One club announced on Monday that the forward, whose dad Carl led the line for the Addicks, had signed a three-year professional contract.

“Everybody keeps talking about the fact we need another striker, just wait until you see what Miles is capable of and how fast he is developing too,” Sandgaard told the South London Press.

“We have someone coming up from the academy, so that puts a dampener on the pressure for getting outside strikers in. It might still be an option, but we’re pretty well off at the moment with Jayden Stockley, Chuks Aneke, Josh Davison and Miles.”

1 can't start games
    1 isn't good enough
    He said that Saturday and there is a lot of comments on the friendly matches thread if you want to catch up.

1 can't start games
    1 isn't good enough
    We've not lumped the ball up to Stockley once in any of the pre season games. 

Indeed if you watched yesterday's game, as has been in all of pre season, in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch he dropped deep a few times picking up passes from O'Connell, and Henry before spreading it out and starting attacks.

1 can't start games
    1 isn't good enough
    Disagree that he needs the ball 'lumped up to him'. He was largely anonymous in the first half last night until he dropped a bit deeper and became more involved. Once he did that his good work was on the floor. As for being good enough to start games, we simply don't know yet. What Miles has arguably done is given us a need to only sign one extra striker rather than two. 

Like most on here, I wouldn't start him but nor would I loan him. I think he's best served, at this stage, being fully part of our first team squad and close to the clearly positive influence of his mum and dad. What I am sure of is that he's a much more exciting prospect than Burstow and a great example to show the Kanus of this world that they will be given a chance.      
  • his dad imho got played too often too early and that affected his development - for better or for worse. Don't want the same thing to happen to leaburn jnr. But it's great to have a leaburn turning out for the addicks again.
    Agreed. The "I saw Carl Leaburn score" T-shirts were hardly supportive. It was only under Gritt and Curbs in 1991 that he really became an integral part of the team, and a goal threat
  • edited July 2022
    his dad imho got played too often too early and that affected his development - for better or for worse. Don't want the same thing to happen to leaburn jnr. But it's great to have a leaburn turning out for the addicks again.
    Agreed. The "I saw Carl Leaburn score" T-shirts were hardly supportive. It was only under Gritt and Curbs in 1991 that he really became an integral part of the team, and a goal threat
    imagine being a teenager and having to lead the line in the a team that was having to perform miracles to avoid relegation. All whilst playing against the centre halves that were around in the late 80s... 

The thing is he had bags of natural ability - could control the ball brilliantly for such a big lad imo. 
  • mendonca said:
    Whatever happened to a good old 1 month loan. That would be handy for all. It seems to be a season or nothing these days.
    Not allowed anymore, not in the EFL anyway, loans have to be from Transfer Window to Transfer Window - We could loan Miles to the Conference, or below for a month loan - But then you have to question if that'll be any use for his development
    A stupid change to remove the short term loans within the EFL

Good for the National League though, and lets face it the quality (and money) in the top NL clubs is similar to lower L2 sides anyway. I imagine a loan to Wrexham would be much more beneficial than to a struggling L2 club.

Bloody hell. 
  • It's L1 and none of the strikers playing in this league are proven "good enough" if you are looking at what makes a standout rounded striker.  On performances to date Miles looks as good as you need to be for L1 and has the physique to match up to grizzly L1 defenders, unlike Burstow who struggled to impose himself up against the men.