Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    I'm waiting for one of our local journos to ask TS about where we now stand with blowing this league out of the water and being in The Premier League in what is now 4 years I believe?
    Still gobsmacked that people who claim to have followed Charlton and English football in general for years and years, took him at his word on that, and didn't just give him a squeeze for getting over excited about the takeover at the time. 
    I can understand a 6 year old getting excited at xmas when they are opening their presents but a 60 year old businesman who is in charge of the cheques should know better. If he wasn't going to splash the cash (and no reason why he should - its his money) then best not say anything or did he somehow think we were going to be worldbeaters by bringing in 19 year old loanees or players with injury records as long as your arm. 
    Maybe he should've consulted you when making his $$millions over the last 3 decades eh Golfie. You could've also advised on etiquette when making multi £m investments this side of the pond too mate. 👍
  • Jonniesta said:
     But I also have faith they know that, and can't believe we'll hit deadline day without 4 or 5 more signings, with maybe 2 or 3 heading out. 
    You obviously weren't here last year then. If you were then you might remember the exact same posts being put up on here at this time. Posters, like me, saying we were behind the pack in terms of player recruitment & then being told to be patient and that the transfer window didnt shut for another 6 weeks. 

And we all know how that panned out. Papa Souare anyone  ?
    I was, Golfie, and I agreed with you on the strikers. Davison wasn't good enough to be a 3rd striker. To make that error once is careless, to do it twice is just stupid. We had just finished 7th, though, on a good run, so there was some reason for believing the squad was close to good enough. No such excuse this time. I don’t mind waiting for quality, but waiting for dross I do mind about. 
  • edited July 2022
    He is determined to balance the books. He's clearly had a good look at the financial potential of the club over the last two years and is now cutting his cloth accordingly. It's his mission to achieve this based on what he's told me. I also agree 100% with him. I don't agree with a lot of what he has done and really don't like the more public side of his persona and as for the guitar stuff. On the whole I'm not a fan of show offs no matter who and where they've come from and I personally do not expect any individual to spend crazy money on the club. Football at our level has to sort itself out and I for one would love CAFC to financially straighten itself out as part of this. Ultimately the clubs with the largest and richest fanbase will succeed that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I believe you do have a line to him, many seem to.  Iam not convinced he is cutting his cloth accordingly more than he has done previously.  He has just changed priorities, cut backs in back office staff for example must have been counter balanced by more coaches for CAT1 and I personally think that is sensible.
  • I've been supporting this club for about 56 years. 
    I think I've seen 7 promotions and 8 relegations. 
    I've been there in the good times. 
    I've been there in the bad times. 
    So I believe I'm entitled to my opinion. 

We will never be successful under Sandgaard. 
    He will be gone by this time next year. 

I am in a similar position to you (54 years) and whilst owners/managers/players come and go we remain, and that is what supporting a club is all about.
  • League two players and youngsters straight out of the academy = Lower mid table unfortunately.
  • IAgree said:
    League two players and youngsters straight out of the academy = Lower mid table unfortunately.
    If it was that simple then Watson and Gunter would have been our best players in the last couple of years rather than some of the worst.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been supporting this club for about 56 years. 

We succeeded ( got promotion ) under Roland but you don’t think we will/can succeed under TS? I like the way we’re going around our business this year with a clear plan, will it work who knows but I certainly wouldn’t rule out a successful season especially after another 4/5 signings.
  • Yann897 said:
    I've been supporting this club for about 56 years. 

We succeeded ( got promotion ) under Roland but you don’t think we will/can succeed under TS? I like the way we’re going around our business this year with a clear plan, will it work who knows but I certainly wouldn’t rule out a successful season especially after another 4/5 signings.
    Another 4/5 signings you say.

Let's hope so.
  • Scoham said:
    IAgree said:
    League two players and youngsters straight out of the academy = Lower mid table unfortunately.
    If it was that simple then Watson and Gunter would have been our best players in the last couple of years rather than some of the worst.
    It’s not a good enough squad - I don’t like that and I hope I’m wrong, however there’s a reason these players in their mid 20s are in league two and without some better quality players I can’t see how we can realistically expect to compete. Signing six academy players is a pretty clear indication of the approach now being taken. Add in some of the notes of caution being sounded about further recruitment and it seems likely we won’t see many further additions. And loans, if we get good loans, can and will be recalled.

I think lower mid table unfortunately 
  • Yann897 said:

4 or 5 signings........................righto
  • Yann897 said:

4 or 5 signings........................righto
    Can’t remember the last time we didn’t use our quota of loan signings and I expect this season to be no different so that’s a possible 4 straight away, without any permanents which I expect.
  • IAgree said:
    Scoham said:
    IAgree said:
    It’s not a good enough squad - I don’t like that and I hope I’m wrong, however there’s a reason these players in their mid 20s are in league two and without some better quality players I can’t see how we can realistically expect to compete. Signing six academy players is a pretty clear indication of the approach now being taken. Add in some of the notes of caution being sounded about further recruitment and it seems likely we won’t see many further additions. And loans, if we get good loans, can and will be recalled.

Wow you’re full of the joys of spring!!🤣, has there been something released saying we are not going to make anymore signings?, I missed it.
  • paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    Scoham said:
    IAgree said:

Wow you’re full of the joys of spring!!🤣, has there been something released saying we are not going to make anymore signings?, I missed it.
    And believe it or not I’m an very much an optimist by nature! Charlton in league one kinda grinds it out of you…….

I’ve seen a few reports on newsnow that seem to be tempering expectations 
  • IAgree said:
    Scoham said:
    IAgree said:

I guess it comes down to how you view the five signings, they're not going to sound impressive if you were hoping for bigger names from the Champ and L1. The market has changed in recent years, young standout L1 and L2 players are more often going to the Championship rather than the bigger L1 sides.

After that last few years I'm glad we're looking wider across L1 and L2 rather than going for names like Gunter, Watson etc. For me if we make the right additions before the window closes it should be a stronger squad than last season.

The six academy players signing up is largely irrelevant in terms of first team plans, four of them signed 1 year deals. We've had a fairly large u23 squad for several years, and last season u18s team was one of the strongest in recent years.

Loans can only be recalled in January so that gives you half a season and the opportunity to replace anyone recalled. The majority of the league will have several loanees, it's the nature of running a club at this level.
  • Scoham said:
    Bearing in mind that TS has been "bigging up" Miles ( as if he needs it !) we can only hope that he would refuse any offers that might come in for our lad in order to help balance the books....
    Are you genuinely concerned Leaburn could be sold this summer?
    January maybe if he does breakthrough
  • edited July 2022
    IAgree said:
    paulfox said:
    IAgree said:
    Scoham said:
    IAgree said:

And believe it or not I’m an very much an optimist by nature! Charlton in league one kinda grinds it out of you…….

I’ve seen a few reports on newsnow that seem to be tempering expectations 
    Unfortunately Charlton in div 3, is not an unusual experience in my lifetime!!🤣, I think the fact that things have been kept under the radar should hopefully give us hope and wait and see where we are once the season starts. Not many rumours have come to fruition whether good or bad, so nobody knows what’s really going on. It suits people that are keen on a bit of a moan at the moment. Now if nothing does happen by game 1, I’ll be having a moan, but then I would have reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:
    Scoham said:
    Bearing in mind that TS has been "bigging up" Miles ( as if he needs it !) we can only hope that he would refuse any offers that might come in for our lad in order to help balance the books....
    Are you genuinely concerned Leaburn could be sold this summer?
    January maybe if he does breakthrough
    That's possible I agree. This summer seems unlikely given he's not even made his debut yet. It made me wonder if there was more to FF's comment.
  • Thomas and Raelynn have spent much time here during the last month, an indication that we're top of their list of priorities at present, as we should be. I'm sure more signings will follow, but not when or if fees will be involved.

So I'm still cutting our ALLEGEDLY skint penny pinching meanie owners (bottled water anyone?😎) some slack, whatever they're up to behind the scenes.

I do think they'll still be here next season because I've seen nothing other than reams of idle gossip to suggest they won't be, although I'm also sure they won't continue to incur sizeable losses year on year indefinitely.
  • who is Damien Walters ?