Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Let’s see what happens over the next couple of months. 
  • Let’s see what happens over the next couple of months. 
    Yes, Kevin.
  • “It might still be an option, but we’re pretty well off at the moment with Jayden Stockley, Chuks Aneke, Josh Davison and Miles.”

This is a pretty delusional statement, if we take it at face value. I don’t think many people at SL believe MIles Leaburn is ready for a run in the first team, Josh Davison is, at best, unproven at this level despite opportunities, and Chuks is Chuks. If that’s a full complement of strikers, Suella Braverman’s the next Prime Minister.

I think the club is bigging up Miles for more legitimate reasons than any intention to sell him, though. 
    Could it be a case of Thomas learning to not give the game away in the press? He’s absolutely not as gung-ho about it all compared to last summer.

If he tells the world we’re looking for a striker because we’re short of options, the prices quoted will surely go up.

He’s bigging up the youth products as he should. It’s also a convenient way to bargain with clubs who are open to selling at the right price.
    Depends how gullible you think other clubs are. No need to get into lists at all.
  • In last 10 seasons I think I’ve only see two teams guaranteed promotion from football league to premier league without parachute payments.

Leeds went and got one of the best managers in the world to join them in the championship. Wolves spent £15m on Porto’s captain, Neves who was playing champions league football at the time. 

Until we do one of those two, we are like every other team wanting to be in the top flight.
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting thread over on the other forum about a potential offer for the club.
    I hope @Callumcafc and @Jonniesta don't read it.......
    Lol just read it. I gave a small benefit of doubt with the commercial director thing and even that turned out to not be true. 🤷‍♂️
    That's because your a obsessive 
    🤣🤣🤣
  • In last 10 seasons I think I’ve only see two teams guaranteed promotion from football league to premier league without parachute payments.

Leeds went and got one of the best managers in the world to join them in the championship. Wolves spent £15m on Porto’s captain, Neves who was playing champions league football at the time. 

Until we do one of those two, we are like every other team wanting to be in the top flight.

Worth noting that the season they went up they only spent 261k on transfers according to transfermarkt and got some good premier League loans in. This was whilst bringing in 27m in transfer fees.

Shows what difference a top manager can really make to a team.
  • Burstow on a season long loan... 
  • Interesting thread over on the other forum about a potential offer for the club.
    How many times has that been said over the past 10 years?

Just a bit fatigued with it all, current setup is a big gamble and a recipe for disaster imo. Got my season ticket but not really looking forward to it starting if I'm honest, past few seasons have really drained my enthusiasm 
  • Anyone got any transfer rumours? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gah.

Had a load to write but then couldn't be arsed.

Currently the squad isnt good enough for top 6. Even with a few loans it will struggle to break into it. Cant rely on untested youth players  -  when we have relied on the youth they were quality (Parker, Bows, Gomez). These days we think players like Burstow & Leaburn are going to be our saviour. Not on your nelly mate. Recent youth players that had gone into the Premiership (Lookman & Aribo) had come through other teams set ups & we just "polished" them for a couple of years. Dont delude yourselves that the U23's will be the pot of gold to get us promoted.

I believe TS had all the best intentions when he took over 2 years ago, but he was raw & nieve and thought his way would work. It hasn't & it wont. Not wanting to pay fees (for players or to agents) is not working & until TS realises this we will be stuck in the 3rd tier playing Accrington & Fleetwood for years to come.  

Other players through our youth like Konsa and Sarmiento you mean.  Massive failures...

Or those we have picked off other teams like Leaburn and Burstow.

Your argument is not very well thought through.
  • Not to mention that Leaburn and Lookman have both followed very similar paths - Both only joined around U16 level, and each have broken into the First Team at U18 level... The only way the likes of Lookman / Aribo can be used over Burstow etc. is nothing more than hindsight.
  • My feeling is most of the negativity with Thomas is mainly due to him getting involved personally with fans online. It's clearly become very personal in some areas. From my point of view I've had some very interesting conversations with him like others no doubt, also given him ideas which I expected nothing in return for. But maybe with some they may have expected a bit more.
  • I remain grateful to TS for rescuing us and although he does seem to be learning from past mistakes I don't think, on his own, he has enough financial clout or English football knowledge to fullfil his and our dreams. There could be a wealthy group putting in a takeover bid(s) as discussed on the other forum but I would be more convinced if that rumour was coming from somebody who was backing TS rather than one who wants him out. What I can see happening is it being reported by the same source that the third bid has been turned down by TS and it will be used as another stick to beat him with as the momentum to get him out increases. 
  • Perhaps at my age I'm just being thick, but why do people want TS out? Yes he's made mistakes, he's admitted the mistake with Joket, he's brought in a potentially forward thinking young manager who wants success. Yes we need to add to the squad further, especially a striker, but he's got rid of a lot of deadwood that supporters wanted gone, he's trying to make the club more sustainable and whatever people say about him being 'skint' he has spent at least £8m keeping the club going.
    However I don't see what he has done fundamentally wrong! He's not crippled the club, he's not ripped it off, and he's trying to engage. Whilst he may not be as rich as Barclay (quite clearly) he's still the only one who took on ESI and Co. and won, everyone else pulled out!
    He knows that results on the pitch are the most important thing to fans, yet we all sit and judge about how good/bad we are before a ball has been kicked in anger!
    Just because last season was shit, I'm more than prepared to give this new set up a chance.
    Yet people want him gone and will increase pressure...I wonder what owners WILL be accepted by the fan base, or is it a case of no-one is good enough if they don't listen to us?
    Gotta say if I had TS wealth and owned the club I'd be asking myself why the fuck did I bother, and I'm a fan of 62 fucking years!!
    Win games... Win promotion - Its all fans truly care about.

If we were to take League One by storm this season (Doubt it), then all the negative comments will disappear very quickly, and will probably be replaced with the very defensive: "Well we all want the same thing as fans dont we"
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think the squad is strong enough. Unless there's some interesting non-contract or loan signings in August/September I'd be surprised if we break out of League One. There's a slight chance, I suppose, that we end up as one of those sides with unknown players who some how break into the Championship, but it'd be foolish to rely on that.  
  • Gah.

Had a load to write but then couldn't be arsed.

Currently the squad isnt good enough for top 6. Even with a few loans it will struggle to break into it. Cant rely on untested youth players  -  when we have relied on the youth they were quality (Parker, Bows, Gomez). These days we think players like Burstow & Leaburn are going to be our saviour. Not on your nelly mate. Recent youth players that had gone into the Premiership (Lookman & Aribo) had come through other teams set ups & we just "polished" them for a couple of years. Dont delude yourselves that the U23's will be the pot of gold to get us promoted.

I believe TS had all the best intentions when he took over 2 years ago, but he was raw & nieve and thought his way would work. It hasn't & it wont. Not wanting to pay fees (for players or to agents) is not working & until TS realises this we will be stuck in the 3rd tier playing Accrington & Fleetwood for years to come.  

Other players through our youth like Konsa and Sarmiento you mean.  Massive failures...

Or those we have picked off other teams like Leaburn and Burstow.

Your argument is not very well thought through.
    I am not sure highlighting Konsa and Sarmiento particularly negates the general point being made by @golfaddick
  • That's a very balanced view of the current issues, CE & one which I'm pretty certain that the majority of "TS haters" will align with.

I have to stop myself from pressing the "lol" button when those that question our owner's modus operandi as described as haters.

That's extremely lazy &, IMO, emotive language which in NO way describes the concerns many have regarding the sustainability of the current methods used by TS. 

TBH, I'll leave it there as I can't be a*sed to repeat the reasons that I, for one, have for doubting Thomas.....

And I sincerely hope that, sooner rather than later ( too late ?) & if promotion aspirations continue to fall short, he will have the b*lls to finally admit that he needs to take some much needed advice on how to run a successful football club. 

I trust that those "TS lovers" out there will agree that the use of certain phrases or indeed words, will only serve to widen the divide between fans that dare to have differing opinions.    
    Do you not maybe think there are some on the other side of this, who possibly feel the same the other way?
  • Gribbo said:
    That's a very balanced view of the current issues, CE & one which I'm pretty certain that the majority of "TS haters" will align with.

I have to stop myself from pressing the "lol" button when those that question our owner's modus operandi as described as haters.

That's extremely lazy &, IMO, emotive language which in NO way describes the concerns many have regarding the sustainability of the current methods used by TS. 

TBH, I'll leave it there as I can't be a*sed to repeat the reasons that I, for one, have for doubting Thomas.....

And I sincerely hope that, sooner rather than later ( too late ?) & if promotion aspirations continue to fall short, he will have the b*lls to finally admit that he needs to take some much needed advice on how to run a successful football club. 

I trust that those "TS lovers" out there will agree that the use of certain phrases or indeed words, will only serve to widen the divide between fans that dare to have differing opinions.    
    Do you not maybe think there are some on the other side of this, who possibly feel the same the other way?
    Explain, please.