Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    Jints said:
    As I recall Roland's "model" was based on a network of clubs. I can't see how TS's is similar. Developing talent through the academy to try to achieve sustainability is not particularly revolutionary - lots of clubs  trying that, some suceeding, most not.

The comparison in vision and aim has been done before, some accept it some dont. Both have/d the vision of breaking even and sustainability;

RD by -
    Playing the transfer market using his network of clubs 
    Investing in a strong 11 and squad filling with cheap frees, loans and youth prospects
    Develop the premier league stars of the future and sell for a tidy profit 
    Increase the match day expierence, catering, sofas, DJ´s etc.
    Target 20k

TS by - 
    Playing the transfer market by seeking the best deals / friendly neighbourhood agents 
    Investing in mainly, players that can develop for us/ resale
    Squad filling with cheap (but quality) loans and youth prospects
    Develop the youth and sell for a tidy profit 
    Increase the match day expirence with regualr guitar solos (may not be 100% accurate i just dont remember what they said recently )
    Fill the valley

Nothing wrong with it, there wasnt anything wrong with Rolands plan other than the fact that he never had the desire to push us on in January´s when the playing side needed it for promotion/ relegation - he then completley gave up out of boredom and spite. 
    It's basically the Brentford model but producing our own youth too. Worked fairly well for them.
  • Options
    step 1 — get promoted out of this shit league…. Go from there.  We will have more of an idea if that’s possible once the season starts, when it will be down to BG and the squad to make it happen.
  • Options
    The longer we are in this division the closer we get to becoming a London version of Oldham.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I get the need to trim back staff (non playing side) for financial reasons so can someone explain why the need for a COO and a DOO.
    🤷‍♂️
    Pigeons and Doves
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I agree that investing in the academy is clearly the strategy but I’d be cautious about assuming that it is one which will necessarily work. The club hasn’t achieved category one status, but regardless of whether it does in future the academy has been doing pretty well already. The test of any investment in it is whether that actually leads to a net benefit through it doing better. 

It’s not just the capital cost but the extra salaries for staff required under category one.

Admittedly it’s hard to measure the marginal benefit of the investment, but it is important to remember that we don’t start from a position where the academy doesn’t exist or is failing.

In the meantime, L1 football damages the club’s long-term prospects (by losing fans) and the longer we play at this level the more damage it will do - it’s no good telling people to suck it up or get used to it. It’s clearly not right that a club with Charlton’s resources hasn’t been able to outperform a club like Accrington. It can only be bad management.

The club’s only immediate priority should be promotion back to the Championship. Remaining in L1 is failure of itself and will cost the owner a fortune.
    I agree a different approach might improve the chances of success, but it might also cost more and potentially achieve the same end result as nothing is guaranteed. I also agree that it's down to bad management and a misconception as to what was needed to get out of the division that we find ourselves at such a low point, but as our status is set for this coming season, all the owner can do is try to put things right now and in the months ahead in order for us to mount a promotion challenge, even if he's not doing it in whatever way you think he should.

Incidentally, if we're being told to "suck it up or get used to it?" I must have missed it. Who said that and when? If that's what's being inferred from the owner referring to making us 'sustainable', I agree that it's not doable at L1 level without turning us into a young player farm, but he's not planning for us to stay in L1 indefinitely is he? Or if he is, he shouldn't be for the reasons you stated.

My question to you is how do you personally think he should be approaching the footballing side of things now to achieve promotion back to the Championship, accepting of course that it's hardly your responsibility before you laugh and offer me a political style disclaimer.
  • Options
    Bearing in mind that TS has been "bigging up" Miles ( as if he needs it !) we can only hope that he would refuse any offers that might come in for our lad in order to help balance the books....
    Are you genuinely concerned Leaburn could be sold this summer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    ‘Further loan signings’….don’t forget our still to come £500k marquee striker/winger that will smash the goals in & get us promoted Airman.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    swordfish said:
    I agree that investing in the academy is clearly the strategy but I’d be cautious about assuming that it is one which will necessarily work. The club hasn’t achieved category one status, but regardless of whether it does in future the academy has been doing pretty well already. The test of any investment in it is whether that actually leads to a net benefit through it doing better. 

It’s not just the capital cost but the extra salaries for staff required under category one.

Admittedly it’s hard to measure the marginal benefit of the investment, but it is important to remember that we don’t start from a position where the academy doesn’t exist or is failing.

In the meantime, L1 football damages the club’s long-term prospects (by losing fans) and the longer we play at this level the more damage it will do - it’s no good telling people to suck it up or get used to it. It’s clearly not right that a club with Charlton’s resources hasn’t been able to outperform a club like Accrington. It can only be bad management.

The club’s only immediate priority should be promotion back to the Championship. Remaining in L1 is failure of itself and will cost the owner a fortune.
    I agree a different approach might improve the chances of success, but it might also cost more and potentially achieve the same end result as nothing is guaranteed. I also agree that it's down to bad management and a misconception as to what was needed to get out of the division that we find ourselves at such a low point, but as our status is set for this coming season, all the owner can do is try to put things right now and in the months ahead in order for us to mount a promotion challenge, even if he's not doing it in whatever way you think he should.

Incidentally, if we're being told to "suck it up or get used to it?" I must have missed it. Who said that and when? If that's what's being inferred from the owner referring to making us 'sustainable', I agree that it's not doable at L1 level without turning us into a young player farm, but he's not planning for us to stay in L1 indefinitely is he? Or if he is, he shouldn't be for the reasons you stated.

My question to you is how do you personally think he should be approaching the footballing side of things now to achieve promotion back to the Championship, accepting of course that it's hardly your responsibility before you laugh and offer me a political style disclaimer.
    I wasn't suggesting that the owner was telling fans to suck it up, I was alluding to some fans who seem to think that anyone who demands better is "entitled" or otherwise unreasonable and should accept what we have. I think that's defeatist nonsense given the competition and makes no financial sense anyway because of the unavoidable losses at this level.

I wouldn't presume to tell the football side how to succeed, any more than I would expect the Sandgaards to be competent to do so, but I am sceptical that we are currently equipped to get promoted out of the division based on recruitment so far. Any judgement is somewhat premature pending further loan signings, admittedly.
    In other words we should expect to be outperforming many of the teams in the division. I can't argue with that, although it is also littered now with several Club's of similar stature to ourselves.

I'm still hoping for more than just loans in though as several of the existing squad are injury prone and it seems to me the last few seasons have been largely defined by our ability, or inability, to cope with injury crises.
  • Options
    Bearing in mind that TS has been "bigging up" Miles ( as if he needs it !) we can only hope that he would refuse any offers that might come in for our lad in order to help balance the books....
    Sandgaard did very similar with Mason Burstow last season. It’s pretty vulgar behaviour really. Miles is only 18 and should be allowed to develop away from the spotlight. 
    'Vulgar' behaviour being positive about an academy product. Fucking hell.
    I think it’s a trashy thing to do, and suggests that Sandgaard can’t wait to cash in like he did with Mason Burstow.

I'd not agree with trashy, but I'd not disagree re cashing in.
    He did it with Burstow so why not with another youngster?
  • Options
    Interesting thread over on the other forum about a potential offer for the club.
    If he’s as skint as some have suggested he’ll have to have to sell sooner than later.

If someone is willing to pay £12m+ (think that wa the latest figure in the accounts) to buy us without owning the assets they’d have to be very serious too. I’d like to think that would also mean ESI types can be ruled out, but when is it ever that simple?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting thread over on the other forum about a potential offer for the club.
    I hope @Callumcafc and @Jonniesta don't read it.......
    Lol just read it. I gave a small benefit of doubt with the commercial director thing and even that turned out to not be true. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
     I suppose it's impossible to discount completely.

Heard anything @Airman Brown
  • Options
    “It might still be an option, but we’re pretty well off at the moment with Jayden Stockley, Chuks Aneke, Josh Davison and Miles.”

This is a pretty delusional statement, if we take it at face value. I don’t think many people at SL believe MIles Leaburn is ready for a run in the first team, Josh Davison is, at best, unproven at this level despite opportunities, and Chuks is Chuks. If that’s a full complement of strikers, Suella Braverman’s the next Prime Minister.

I think the club is bigging up Miles for more legitimate reasons than any intention to sell him, though. 
    Could it be a case of Thomas learning to not give the game away in the press? He’s absolutely not as gung-ho about it all compared to last summer.

If he tells the world we’re looking for a striker because we’re short of options, the prices quoted will surely go up.

He’s bigging up the youth products as he should. It’s also a convenient way to bargain with clubs who are open to selling at the right price.