Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mandela Egbo - gone to Colchester (p17)

Comments

• Initially a good sign bringing players in early and bedding them in before the season starts.
    To quote chief wum @seriously_red

Let's see where we are after 15 games.
  • edited June 2022
    I will have to redraw my fucking diagram at this rate.  More please!!!

I would say we are at the bollock tingle stage.
    Two league two players giving you the bollock tingle is the equivalent of premature ejaculation with Ann Widdicombe bouncing on your balls.
    Do you believe good players are only playing for good clubs? 
  • Chunes said:

Two league two players giving you the bollock tingle is the equivalent of premature ejaculation with Ann Widdicombe bouncing on your balls.
    I’m optimistic about these signings but the facts are that they are two frees from league two clubs; law of averages would say that they won’t both be stunning . Fingers crossed they will .  
  • Chunes said:

It could be said you are playing in division four because you are at that level.
  • edited June 2022
    Any reason he only played 9 or so games for Swindon last year?
    He started training with Swindon in January and only signed a contract with them on March 12th. I think he was holding out for something better but it wasn’t forthcoming so decided to use the final 10 games to put himself in the shop window. 

He made his first appearance the same day he signed, coming off the bench for the last 15 mins.
  • Chunes said:

It could be said you are playing in division four because you are at that level.
    But that's not how football works. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

I’m optimistic about these signings but the facts are that they are two frees from league two clubs; law of averages would say that they won’t both be stunning . Fingers crossed they will .  
    Is the fact they were free particularly relevant? Lionel Messi was out of contract last summer 
  • edited June 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

Given that until they signed we were being linked with the likes of Bostock and Marquis (both distinctly average and past whatever prime they ever had) then the fact we are at least signing younger players who could yet improve is definitely an improvement.

A bloody low bar to climb over yes but if any club could still stumble over it and fall face first into the metaphorical custard it's Charlton...
  • PWR

Just read Cawley’s lowdown on him, hardly inspiring?
  • He's done nothing yet..At any club he has ever played for.. No reason at all suggest rolling in at SE7 he will suddenly become a Konchesky etc 
    That said, I'm all for giving new players total support. Ghana has clearly seen something in him from last season and believes he can make the step up. 

Welcome Mandela Egbo. 

Ghana? He played for England U18s
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Speaking to someone that has been aware of him for at least a decade.

Massive potential, talent alone he would be playing in the Premier League.  Probably can cruise top half league 1/bottom half championship.

Sounds to me a bit like old Yassin, also sounds to me Garner is the man that can squeeze it, or at least enough of it, out of him.
    I have to admit I would have preferred the other Swindon right-back from last season who went onto MK. Egbo hasn't progressed as expected and although he ended the season well, a dozen or so games isn't much to go on. 

Of course I'm not writing him off and Garner clearly rates him so that's good enough for me. 
  • Jonniesta said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

Is the fact they were free particularly relevant? Lionel Messi was out of contract last summer 
    Totally agree. They're not free because they weren't offered contracts, and were let go, they were both expecting to move up. Somewhat dismissive to label them as such.
    Exactly. Let's not forget that one of our very few success stories from last summer was a freebie from League 2. 
  • I will have to redraw my fucking diagram at this rate.  More please!!!

Well that's a mental image I didn't need just before bed.
  • Believe he was very highly rated at Palace as a youngster as well as being in the England U17's who won the Euros same side as Joe Gomez. Went abroad and did okay in Germany and the States. 

Known for his athleticism and ability to get forward I like dynamic full-backs.

Think it's been said multiple times that he had too much quality for League Two, see how he adapts. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

No, point taken . I’m pleased that we are signing players that the manager actually wants and the age range is good .  I was just stating facts that they are frees from league 2. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cblock said:
    Could be wrong, not checked, but remember having Gary Neville in my dream team because he scored from pens.
    Presume you didn’t do too well…
    Did actually, he got plenty of assists, thanks for asking.

• Didn’t put on a scarf as he thought it might look a bit gaudy.
  • He gets tinned too much personality for Charlton fans